Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

2015-04-11:

• UI: Cannot use Gamecube controller when Wii remote active. There seems to be some conflict(?) with the Wii-remote, because when I enable Wii-remote, RA freezes and only a hard reset (switching power off and on again) gets Wii working again.
  • There’s a message: Joypad port #0 (Wiimote Controller) configured that does not dissapear after starting RA.

Apologies if this issue is not for this thread: - FBA: Playing Black Tiger is way slower than previous versions (stable and nightlies).

I tried again with the latest source, loading game turns on bilinear every time, toggling the menu makes it go back to point.

Overrides seem interesting, I was thinking for a while on using it to finally play some WonderSwan games decently but there are two things preventing me from using it:

• Mapping the second d-pad to wiimote makes rgui impossible to navigate; thus locking you out.
  • The view ports always start at 0, 0 640x480, I can’t use integer scaling and have it start rotated 90° I planned to use an alternate override during gameplay to comfortably switch on the fly between screen layouts as this never worked with per-core configs. I realize that because of the way RA works you can’t just separate the game’s inputs from the RGUI, but it’s something really annoying when it’s possible to map something but can’t because it either makes rgui unusable or difficult to use.

Copy pasted from my other thread, here are some of my observations with the 4/16 nightly:

512x224 resolution (hooray for Samsung Plasma’s that support 240p!), audio hiccups and jumps pretty often. Does not happen when set to 512x448. No resolution saving. I’ve seen this waffle back and forth. Is there a definitive yes or no on whether it’ll be implemented? Please say yes. Restart Retroarch does nothing. Quit Retroarch when a game is loaded just seems to restart Retroarch. Hitting Quit Retroarch again quits out Didn’t encounter input bug, but it might still be there. Retroarch froze when I tried to save state when first launching a game (by accident)

Does anyone konw how to use video / audio filters in wii?, I’ve trying to use them since they were implemented, but no luck until know.

Wait… There is a PPSSPP core for the Wii?! When did this happen?! Dx

Can someone tell me how it performs and where can I find the core to test it out?

Looks like there’s a somewhat serious bug in the most recent builds. If you browse into any of the settings submenu’s, and then go back, the screen goes black, or displays lots of crazy greens and then locks up.

I also somehow made a little “Seach:” dialog show up, and there seemed to be no way to get out of it other than to hold power to shut off the console.

I’m testing on the May 24th build.

Also, it’s awesome how Radius has 1,337 posts right now.

yeah, getting stuck on the search window is a known issue and will likely be fixed very soon.

Same here. Current (builds) doesn’t works very well.

I would definitely not expect a nightly build to be a beta :slight_smile:

I didn’t know where to report this. Probably a very known bug since it’s so obvious, but reporting it anyway. I’m on vWii using nightly build 06-24, and every time I load a game, I have to unplug and plug the Classic Controller again for it to be recognized. A petty thing for me, but still a bug I guess.

But I have to report that the scrolling on the SNES cores is finally smooth as expected. I don’t know how to describe this, but when images were scrolling horizontally, certain lines became jagged and distorted. The entire image actually. I’m not talking about Vsync. I first noticed it on the intro scene of Dragon Quest V, but then I realized it happens in every game more or less, it just happened to be very obvious on that one. That was pretty much the only reason that kept me from switching to Retroarch from SNES9X GX. I don’t know how (or when) you guys managed to do it, but I’m very thankful this issue is finally resolved.

[QUOTE=yoshinatsu;24028]I didn’t know where to report this. Probably a very known bug since it’s so obvious, but reporting it anyway. But I have to report that the scrolling on the SNES cores is finally smooth as expected. I don’t know how to describe this, but when images were scrolling horizontally, certain lines became jagged and distorted. The entire image actually. I’m not talking about Vsync. [/QUOTE]

Well sorry but this is not true at all, you can see for yourself by just playing Super Metroid. Take a look at the intro after “1994”, it is still “jagged” and not smooth scroll as the Virtual Console version.

P.S. Oh yes I forgot to mention my setup: Normal Wii, CRT TV30 inches, 240p mode.

[QUOTE=retrogamer;24048]Well sorry but this is not true at all, you can see for yourself by just playing Super Metroid. Take a look at the intro after “1994”, it is still “jagged” and not smooth scroll as the Virtual Console version.

P.S. Oh yes I forgot to mention my setup: Normal Wii, CRT TV30 inches, 240p mode.[/QUOTE]

Not even the Virtual Console emulators are perfect, I assume Nintendo used a lot of hacks when optimizing them for the games. Like Kirby’s Dream Land 3 for example, the pseudo-hi res mode 7 effects are used (underwater, trees/canopy), RetroArch struggles and drops to 53 fps or so. And yet, the Wii Virtual Console version runs full speed, so maybe there needs to be more optimization?

Are you comparing against just the VC or did you verify against original hardware? I just fired Super Metroid up on my SNES and it’s not perfectly smooth there (it’s consistently jerky rather than a smooth pan). I didn’t compare against VC to see if the jerkiness is gone there, but if so, it wouldn’t be the first time Nintendo engaged in some historical revisionism with VC releases.

Unfortunately I dont have a copy of a Super Metroid cartridge with me (I played it long long time ago 15+ years, I cant remember that intro screen very well), so I can’t test directly, but if you tested and the game originally stutters then it’s perfectly normal with emulation. Nintendo managed to do some weird tricks with their Virtual Console emulators, I have to check with some other roms to see if smooth scroll was improved. Thanks!

[QUOTE=yoshinatsu;24028]I didn’t know where to report this. Probably a very known bug since it’s so obvious, but reporting it anyway. I’m on vWii using nightly build 06-24, and every time I load a game, I have to unplug and plug the Classic Controller again for it to be recognized. A petty thing for me, but still a bug I guess.

But I have to report that the scrolling on the SNES cores is finally smooth as expected. I don’t know how to describe this, but when images were scrolling horizontally, certain lines became jagged and distorted. The entire image actually. I’m not talking about Vsync. I first noticed it on the intro scene of Dragon Quest V, but then I realized it happens in every game more or less, it just happened to be very obvious on that one. That was pretty much the only reason that kept me from switching to Retroarch from SNES9X GX. I don’t know how (or when) you guys managed to do it, but I’m very thankful this issue is finally resolved.[/QUOTE] If you are referring to the mode 7 intro of super metroid, it’s supposed to be a bit “jerky”. If you’re NOT using COMPONENT cables with your Wii and haven’t set your Wii’s video output to 480P, you will get deinterlacing artifacting ( 480i ot 576i0 This will distort your complete screen when scrolling occurs , your main sprite however will not suffer much as most of the time the character is present in the middle of the screen, and is not actually moving on your screen.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN 480P 60hz with component cabling, when playing RA using a LCD television.

[QUOTE=Hielkenator;24063]If you are referring to the mode 7 intro of super metroid, it’s supposed to be a bit “jerky”. If you’re NOT using COMPONENT cables with your Wii and haven’t set your Wii’s video output to 480P, you will get deinterlacing artifacting ( 480i ot 576i0 This will distort your complete screen when scrolling occurs , your main sprite however will not suffer much as most of the time the character is present in the middle of the screen, and is not actually moving on your screen.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN 480P 60hz with component cabling, when playing RA using a LCD television.[/QUOTE]

Well, scratch what I said before… It seems like the issue persists. It seems like bilinear filtering decided to re-enable itself. When I disable it, the scrolling distortion still happens, as it has always been… Do you guys know how to resolve this? I don’t like bilinear filtering, I like the original sharp, blocky image. On Snes9X, I can have this without the distortion…

Since early 1.0.0.3 retroarch-wii beta builds, snes9x next core decreased in speed. Yesterday, I tested Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi’s Island, the intro screen lags terrible now! With or without superFX chip overclock the lag persist. On the contrary, the stable 1.0.0.2 version dont have this issue if the superfx overclock is disabled, if enabled to 40 mhz there’s little lag, most unnoticeable. Hope there’s a solution for this problem. Thank you

It seems that some time between 1.0.0.2 and the July 5th nightly build, it became impossible to save changes to the custom aspect ratio. I’ve changed it so I could play GBA games with a border around it (as apparently overlay_full_screen is supported on RetroArch Wii), and the ratio always changes back to default whenever I even so much as change games.

Why does the main site say that July 5th is the release day for the Wii port when there’s no download for it on the built bot server? I’m mostly wondering out of curiosity.

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/JMTz9Vt.png

As much as I appreciate the hard work of the team, they shouldn’t say a day it will be out unless it’s actually out, just saying.

I guess we could push the 7/5 nightly over to the 1.2 folder, but is that really what you want?