Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

Leave the devs work on the changes that are required and a release will happen when they are done.

I think Iā€™d best go into hiding in shame about now.

Itā€™s fine. Donā€™t worry about it. Weā€™ll get the release out in a few days. Feel free to use a nightly in the meantime.

I hope is not a big issue that will give you guys headachesā€¦ After all the work it must be pretty annoying.

I thought there already was resolutions of 640 x 448 and 608 x 448?

Yes they exist but in my TV (CRT) the native resolutions are better displayed (less flickering) than doubled resolutions. I donā€™t know if the Wii can output these native resolutions.

Ah ok, would be nice to have those so.

I just tested the latest nightly, saving video resolutions works somehow ok, but if changing different cores there are issues. Sometimes it corrupts the Wii video output showing weird cropping or altered colors on screen and if you exit retroarch, the HBC looks funny in an orange tint and the interface becomes slow. Just by resetting the console or by turning off fix this weird issue.

I was playing with the Nestopia core and Iā€™m glad that now the Blargg NTSC filter (kind of color bleeding on a CRT TV) when configured to ā€œcompositeā€, donā€™t affect smooth scrolling, ( previously I noticed every determined seconds suffered ā€œscreen tearingā€) now it works fine. It acts almost exactly as the original AV NES video output. I managed to add the official NES virtual console palette (hex editing) to Nestopia and bang! it feels more accurate than ever this amazing emulator. I hope we can (wii users) have the new graphical interface soon! Thanks.

Unfortunately, the new GUIs canā€™t make it to Wii because they require OpenGL :frowning: I think they also gobble up more RAM than RGUI, so they would reduce the number of games you could play.

[QUOTE=retrogamer;24826]I just tested the latest nightly, saving video resolutions works somehow ok, but if changing different cores there are issues. Sometimes it corrupts the Wii video output showing weird cropping or altered colors on screen and if you exit retroarch, the HBC looks funny in an orange tint and the interface becomes slow. Just by resetting the console or by turning off fix this weird issue.

I was playing with the Nestopia core and Iā€™m glad that now the Blargg NTSC filter (kind of color bleeding on a CRT TV) when configured to ā€œcompositeā€, donā€™t affect smooth scrolling, ( previously I noticed every determined seconds suffered ā€œscreen tearingā€) now it works fine. It acts almost exactly as the original AV NES video output. I managed to add the official NES virtual console palette (hex editing) to Nestopia and bang! it feels more accurate than ever this amazing emulator. I hope we can (wii users) have the new graphical interface soon! Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I donā€™t think the issue you mentioned is related to the resolution saving feature, I have had this issue with previous versions of RA. It may be a small bug in the video setting process that if you perform it enough times, it will corrupt the video output.

It looks like the resolution corruption has already been figured out: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2234&page=4&p=20322&viewfull=1#post20322

Happens when you boot a dol at 240p, which appears to be happening when you save the resolution and then load that particular core.

A solution would be for RGUI to use one resolution (idealy, the highest one available) and then swap resolutions when a game is started. Returning to RGUI in any form would also swap the resolution back to this default. This has the benefit of never allowing the user to get ā€œstuckā€ in a bad resolution.

So are there any compelling new changes in 1.2 for the Wii thenā€¦? Iā€™m genuinely curious, since per-core saving and resolution saving seem to be borked? IDK whatā€™s going on. Not trying be negative, just want to know lol.

I dunno what else has been added, but what has seems to be working soā€¦

The cores will all be updated (not sure what all has been changed/added to them), radiusā€™ resolution saving will be inā€¦ There are many changes that arenā€™t Wii-specific, like radiusā€™ game-specific overrides for configs.

Sounds good :slight_smile:

Right, just trying to find out which other changes are Wii specific, aside from the per-core savings settings.

I would like to know what will be different too, but maybe weā€™ll get a changelog for the wii after is released; and itā€™s best just to wait.

Although I would want to ask: Because of the overhaul done to the other versions, and Wii not supporting OpenGL, will this plattform suffer any problem for future releases? Or that is just something related to the GUIS and not ā€œretroarch itselfā€?

Iā€™m kind of curious mostly because I donā€™t know if having to work with the new system alongside this one is going to be an issue and kind of annoying.

There wonā€™t be any changelog. Nobody is keeping up with which features affect which platforms. The most we can tell you is what wonā€™t affect a given platform because we have to add specific exceptions. If thereā€™s not a specific exception and a platform meets the requirements for a feature, itā€™ll apply there.

There wonā€™t be any ongoing problems caused by the lack of OGL. It just means Wii (and other OGL-less platforms) canā€™t use the new menus or any libretro-gl cores, like PPSSPP or mupen64plus. If someone were to write a future menu that doesnā€™t require OGL, Wii and co would be able to use it just fine. For now, though, RGUI is the only option.

I see.

I donā€™t have any problem with RGUI being the only option, as long as itā€™s functional I donā€™t care much about menus in most applications. The lack of gl based cores could be sadā€¦ although I seriously doubt the Wii was actually capable of emulating PSP Games.

Thanks for answering; and sorry to bother you.

[QUOTE=Maeson;24985]I see.

I donā€™t have any problem with RGUI being the only option, as long as itā€™s functional I donā€™t care much about menus in most applications. The lack of gl based cores could be sadā€¦ although I seriously doubt the Wii was actually capable of emulating PSP Games.

Thanks for answering; and sorry to bother you.[/QUOTE]

On the Wii U perhaps, but who knows if/when it can be ported over.