Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

When I attempt to play Mario Kart Wii on the Dolphin Emu on Retroarch, it says “This data is corrupted and cannot be used”, then goes to say “Could not write to/read from Wii System Memory.” I heard around that you can use save games but that hasnt worked, or I haven’t put them in the correct area. I am sort of a newbie.

Why does this version of RetroArch lack the XMB menu? I checked in the place where you normally could switch from rgui to xmb, but it’s not there!

I’m a bit of an amateur, so I’m hoping someone can help me out.

I’ve just hacked my switch and I’m very much enjoying retroarch on it. Everything is working great aside from the fact that I cannot get it to use save files for The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past/Four Swords for Game Boy Advance. I never had anyone to play multiplayer with growing up so I want to use a downloaded save with Four Swords completed so that I can finally access the extra dungeon in A Link to the Past. This is proving to be maddeningly difficult, however.

I tried using the .sav files. I tried renaming the extension to .srm instead. I’ve made sure I’ve got them in the correct folders and that they have the same name as the rom. But when I load up the game not only are all three save slots empty, but it overwrites the save files I’m trying to use with identically titled smaller files.

I used both the mgba and vbanext cores on the switch. When that didn’t work I tried with the windows retroarch. That didn’t work either. So I downloaded a bunch of the emulators individually. I have similar issues with mGBA, Visualboyadvance, and NO$GBA. The save slots on the game are blank and the emulators overwrite my 64kb zelda.sav and zelda.srm files with 8 or 12 or 24kb zelda.sav and zelda.srm files.

I’ve tried multiple saves. The ones from gamefaqs (all of them, including trying to import the save states instead of the save files. The save states seem like they’re loading but it just resets the game and the save files are blank):

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/561559-the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past/saves

And from Zelda Legends (at the very bottom of the screen):

http://www.zeldalegends.net/index.php?n=saves

Am I doing something wrong? I’ve read up on how to work all these emulators and I’ve used other emulators in the past and had no trouble dragging and dropping downloaded saves. Are all of these save files bad?

I’d be very grateful if anyone would be willing to try and get these files working in retroarch or if anyone has a working save file for A Link to the Past with Four Swords completed. Or even if anyone knows a good cheat I could use in retroarch that would just let me into the extra dungeon without beating Four Swords.

Thanks!

Is there a way to set a custom resolution on the Wii build of Retroarch? The TG-16 for example is 256x239 for most games and the closest I can get is 512x240. I don’t see that in the list of resolutions but I was wondering if I could add it, I am hooked up to a CRT that can output this resolution.

Yes there is, using on-the-fly method. Set the resolution as close as you can with one of the preset ones; 512x240 as you have found is good for PC Engine/TG-16. Then, set your aspect ratio to Custom, and change Custom Aspect Ration Height down to 239 and see how that looks. Adjust Y position to center it if necessary. I do something similar for NTSC Atari 2600 on CRT attached Wii since 2600 has an odd resolution. General resolution is 640x240 and tune down the ratio height to 208 and center it with Y position as 14

Discussed this on the discord with a few others but as of now it seems Widescreen Hack for Dolphin core is not functioning. They think they can get it working by tomorrow (hopefully).

Hello) Could somebody said me how to enter in system menu\dip switches \service menu to change difficulty in FBAlpa2012_cps-2 core for Wii?

The latest Wii version can’t play arcade games like cps1/2 ng. This issue has been existing possibly from 1.81. I’ve test 1.89 and 1.90. Please fix this issue, many thanks.

I’m using Retroarch version 1.9.0 on the Wii. While navigating the menu every button works as intended. However, whenever a game is loaded the only buttons recognized are B and A, and they’re recognized as “Mouse 1” and “Mouse 2” respectively. This is also the case when trying to “set all controls” in the input settings, making it impossible to map controls for any game.

After uninstalling 1.9.0 and going back to version 1.7.0 of retroarch, playing games with the Wiimotes and remapping controls both worked fine. 'Course just sticking to version 1.7.0 would be a massive pain, because it seemingly doesn’t offer user interface customization or a virtual keyboard. Can anyone help me get my Wiimotes working as controllers?

had the same problem, wiimote buttons are recognised as mouse buttons and not working in game. But working in menu.

Does the current nightly build fix the issue with 1.9.0 not letting hid controllers work through the second usb port?

I can’t figure out how to make threads on this forum, so I had to post in here:

I can’t get Hyper Street Fighter II (hsf2.zip) working in RetroArch 1.9.0 for the Wii. I tried running it with FBA and FBA-CPS2 cores, but they both end up kicking me back to the Homebrew Channel!

I know the Wii can run this ROM because I played it on there a long time ago on a much older RetroArch. Can anyone help me with this?

You have to jump through some hoops to reach “trust level 1” at which point you can make new threads. This is fine, though :slight_smile:

FBA-CPS2 is what you want, but it’s a very old snapshot (circa 2012), so you’ll need old ROMs to match. I’ve had good luck with ones from MAME v0.142.

Thanks for responding, but I found an old version of RetroArch Wii (v1.7.0) and it works great on there.

BTW, is it possible to delete accounts on here? I like this forum and I can get good help from it, but I don’t want anything to do with the name LGN-76 anymore (It’s a long story and I don’t wanna talk about it). I’ll gladly re-register under a different name.

I believe you can change your name through your account settings and it will apply to all of your posts. If that’s insufficient, I can anonymize this account and you can register a new one.

Are USB Keyboards enabled in Retroarch Wii? I’ve been trying all kinds of things to make it work but have just realised that it maybe as simple as it not being implemented in the Wii version of Retroarch.

I’m trying to set my Wii up as my semi-dedicated Sinclair Spectrum emulator on my 14" CRT for the genuine feel that I had in the 80s.

I just need some USB action. I’ve tried two keyboards (which both work in FBZX emulator but just do not fire up any LEDs at all when Retroarch boots.*)

*I love FBZX. But it’s video modes are not perfect like Retroarch.

The Wii builds are partially broken, it seems.

They have the issue of not being able to read the information files and thus unable to load any files. Instead saying that there are no cores available.