Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

tmnt2 is playable in the MAME 2000 core for Wii now. Has to be a rom from the 0.37b5 romset, not from the FBA romset that all the FBA cores use. But there are garbled graphics, mostly in the text layer (a problem seen on a lot of games with this core) and the color and audio isn’t the best.

I’m trying to learn how to compile Retroarch for Wii. So far I have downloaded and installed Devkit Pro for Windows and I have cloned the Retroarch repository and the libretro-super repository. I have then placed the Retroarch-master folder inside the libretro-super-master folder. I am using this guide to help me, https://bot.libretro.com/docs/compilation/wii/. Are all the required libogc libraries included in the Devkit Pro Windows installer?

From what I understand, you have to fetch and build the cores first and then you can build retroarch using makefile.wii.salamander and makefile.griffin? When I run the scripts through Msys (was installed with Devkit Pro), they start to run but don’t successfully finish. What am I doing wrong?

@shatterhand Have you looked at the compilation docs for Wii?

Yes, that is the guide that I am using. In this post I further explain what is happening when I try to fetch the cores, Trouble compiling Retroarch for Wii. As far as needing the “libretro_wii.a” file in the root directoy, is that file generated when I fetch the cores and build them?

Yes, when you build a core it’ll create the libretro_wii.a file, which you move into the RetroArch source tree and it will link the RetroArch executable against it.

Strange issue: Fresh download of the latest stable release, all the way upto the latest nightly I only have the left analog stick of the GameCube controller working. So I can go up and down in the menu, but I can’t select anything, no other inputs work. Downloaded 1.3.6 and it works fine. I’ve diffed the config files for 1.3.6 and 1.5 and it seems something is going wrong when trying to set up the autoconfigs? Not sure, but (at least for me) RetroArch is unusable on Wii at the moment, unless you get the old version. Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?

I can post any info you request to get this thing sorted.

Cheers.

UPDATE:

After returning to the Wii I was stunned when my GameCube controller was actually working! I realised the only thing that had changed is that the Wiimote had turned itself off. Sure enough, when turning the Wiimote back on the GC controller was back to only having the left analog stick working. There is some sort of issue going on here between the Wiimote and GC controller.

I need some help. When I load a rom it says Exception Dsi occurred. It does this with all cores or it will go back to homebrew. Pls help.

Hi mate,

This usually means ine if three things:

• The SD card you’re using is not compatible
  • The SD card has not been formatted correctly
  • There are junk files on the SD card, such as those created by Mac OS.

Are you using a Mac to manage the SD card?

No I’m using windows. The sd is not a micro its a 32gb sandisk. And the format is 32fat

While the Wii > v4 will support larger SD cards, 32GB is quite big so that might be the issue. I would try using the official SD Formatter program to format your card and give that a go.

Ok sorry for the wait. I did not format yet but i did get some games to load like cps2 and cps1 games. But it also will not save any progress. And qsound is bugged in the newest ver. so i went back down to 1.3.6 and it seems to help.

If you haven’t tried QuakeGX on the wii, stop whatyou are doing and download it immediately. This is a bit long so I’ve highlighted bits in bold I’d like to draw the attention of the developer looking after the wii’s implementation of Tyrquake, and run this idea past them. Also, to ask your opinion, if you dig quake and the wii, or if you have any help or advice regardless. Quake was originally a PC game, operating the cursor and the view using the mouse - quake brought in “look spring” to first person shooters - and operating your movement with the keyboard with your left, or non mouse hand. It was only later that console versions, using console controllers, dropped that mouse functionality… It’s a reasonable observation to note the standard wii interface has a mouse - like pointer in the wiimote, and a more accurate emulation of the game on that console might follow the contemporary first person shooters written for the console, by pointing and shooting with the wiimote and controlling movement with the nunchuck. This is the scheme Call of duty and, I think, all of the fps releases on the wii. There is working, open source code that does this in the form of QuakeGX

I plan to attempt to use it as a wiiflow plugin for the official quake releases, and share it my configuration if I can get it to work - it accepts arguments, apparently, but will only load from sd I’m not sure, but I think this precludes it from use on the WiiU’s vWii and from the dolphin emulator. Which is a shame, because this is the best Quake emulator, it’s difficult to convey how much fun it is revisiting decades old Quake with the Wii FPS interface. It’s easily my favourite homebrew. Just to be open about my motives, I’m not just about the direct and accurate emulation, I’d eventually like someone to take the tyrquake for wii source and a later, more sopisticated Quake engine, and improve the rendering to match the wii’s capabilities. Also there’s a huge amount of content multiple servers, maps skins whole rebuilds that have been made, appraised judged and are still curated today The Quake scene is alive and well, pc users are kept abreast of the scene by a java app, apparently. With a cover flow content browser like wiiflow, might be possible to use the functionality that downloads covers from a database to instead download curated Quake content directly to a local drive I don’t want to tangent so I’ll finish with this thought This could easily become a more popular way to play Quake Thanks P.S. If you know who piko or eluan might be or where to find them, I have a later build of QuakeGX but not I think the source. Thanks… Just found

HI there i have an issue with retroarch wii with the core of supergrafx games, i try to play “Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo (Japan) (FABT, FACT)” and the game runs ok but it has no sound any idea?

Is there a way to enable using a USB keyboard in RGUI when typing in cheats in snes9x2002? My Dell keyboard isn’t being detected by the core, but works just fine in every other app with keyboard support. I see mentions in the source code for RArch and the source code of the aforementioned core for USB keyboard support. Maybe libogc’s libwiikeyboard could help with this?

You managed to make the SNES9x2002 work, here it loads the game but nothing appears, the image turns black

I noticed that, but thought it was my USB keyboard preventing it from loading. So this emulator doesn’t work on Wii right now? T_T

Really does not work!

Any chance of getting a setting added to the dolphin core to enable the more accurate LLE Audio emulation support like in the standalone program?

BS (Satellaview) Zelda no Densetsu works in the standalone SNES GX on Wii but not any of the available SNES wii cores. Wii SNES GX is Snes9x1.56 I believe, corresponding to RetroArch’s Snes9x core, but I only get black screen without crashing. The Snes9x 2010 core boots for a few seconds, then colors come up and it freezes. 2005 Plus, 2005, 2002 all get black screen or crash. The game works on RetroArch Snes9x 2010 and BSNES Accuracy on my PC.

I have the BSX bios but Snes9x doesn’t appear to use it.

It’s a significant game to the emulation community, I hope someone will see it worthwhile to look into. Hopefully it’s something obvious since it works fine on the PC Snes9x 2010 core and Snes9x GX.

My gmail is suspendedhatch if I can help in any way.

I just downloaded the Oct 28th nightly and the game works with the Snes9x 2010 core! My 7th Saga and Lufia II hacked bugfixed titles now work with 2010 as well.

Snes9x core still causes a DSI exception and hard crash. Snes 2005 Plus still causes a black screen.

(Happy Emoticons)