Wii U Nightly Discussion Thread

It will explode sooner or later. First we need more than 1 controller recognition and multiplayer. I think they are ironing the basics before going all out

You’re right, and for whatever reason the latest nightly of Snes9x is a little on the wonky side, so I’ll revert back. Wonky as in, it will load the ROM selection but will give a “no core detected” error and lock up the Wii U.

Edit: All recently compiled cores of RetroArch Wii U result in “core not found” errors and lockups of the system. Not sure if I should bother reporting it or not.

Looks like we got usb loading and improved SD loading.

Only works with a CFW tho

[QUOTE=Osakasan;52831]Looks like we got usb loading and improved SD loading.

Only works with a CFW tho[/QUOTE]

I doubt that’s ever gonna change, either. So the easiest way is unfortunate, CBCH hacking and such to auto boot sigpatching and CFW for the Wii U. Ugh.

It’s easier than that, either install Haxchii or use loadiine.ovh to load the Homebrew Loader, load a cfw such as Mocha and you’re set. It takes a few extra steps, but you don’t mess with system.xml since there’s no update-proof way to do it.

Wii U hombrew is way too young to mess with coldboot yet.

[QUOTE=Osakasan;52894]It’s easier than that, either install Haxchii or use loadiine.ovh to load the Homebrew Loader, load a cfw such as Mocha and you’re set. It takes a few extra steps, but you don’t mess with system.xml since there’s no update-proof way to do it.

Wii U hombrew is way too young to mess with coldboot yet.[/QUOTE]

Already have Haxchii installed, I’ve moved away from web exploits; that being said, I can still load Hacxhi and then Mocha, I do hope we can get to a point where we don’t need CFW for libfat related software.

I think we’ll reach that point only once we reach 3DS’s level on CFW. There doesn’t seems to be a way of installing native USB support, so we’ll have to cope with patching for the moment.

Hmm I suppose, who knows when that’s going to happen, we won’t even have dynarec for several months yet (if ever), much less libfat support without CFW.

One day someone will appear with a WIP PPC Dynarec giving another push to WiiU’s Retroarch. It’s working like that lately.

Gotta admit it, it’s both irritating and amusing.

Is there any WiiU retroarch wiki ? Like compatibility lists, where to put BIOS and other stuff ?

No, but that stuff shouldn’t be any different than on any other platform. That is, BIOS files go into your ‘system’/BIOS directory, as specified in settings > directory, and if a game works in a core through RetroArch on PC, it should work on Wii U, too.

Do you mean the SD:wiiu\apps\mednafen_psx_libretro\whatevernameisthepsxbios.bin ? Because there is not settings folder in the wiiu directory that you download.

Also, does the psx games needs to be on iso or it can be .cue ?

I only use retroarch on consoles … and a compatibility list would be great to see which game I can rip and which I can’t

edit : or to know that my problems are because it can run chrono chross perfectly but can’t start parappa the rapper, a game that in my mind is much simpler

You can also put BIOS images in the same directory as your ROM files.

Mednafen/beetle-psx only supports bin/cue images but I don’t think it gets anywhere close to full speed on Wii U (as in, like 15 fps or something, IIRC). The core we use for most embedded platforms, PCSX-ReARMed, is ARM/NEON-optimized, so it wouldn’t do well there, either.

What do you suggest we do in the mean time?

Edit: So now that 1.4.0 is more or less complete, what’s to become of Wii U pro support or Classic Controller support, if I might ask?

Just wanting to drop by to bring some things to the Libretro guys knowledge: There are several guys over at GBATemp who have been compiling other cores not currently available in the buildbot for the Wii U stable/nightly releases.

Some of these cores are BlueMSX and Stella to give you some examples. The cores seem to work mostly okay, they load up ROMs and so on, I believe only some slight issues with save states, but out of that they work okay.

So they thing I wanted to ask is who can they contact to provide the required changes in the GitHub or the Makefile files to include these cores into the buildbot releases officially? Here’s a link to some of the builds made by the users:

There are more, like Pro System core and so on. The main guys who are compiling these builds are ploggy and brienj in GBATemp.

To any mod, please let them know who to contact so that these cores can be added officially into the buildbot releases. Or answer here and I’ll redirect them properly.

Thanks! And hope this doesn’'t come as a bother.

If they require changes to compile, have them submit a PR on the core’s github repo.

Game and Watch, Vectrex and Handy (i think) do not require any changes to compile. O2em does require a WiiU target to be added in the makefile though.

1 Like

Stella also has the Wii U target and can be compiled, but all of those cores ploggy mentions too do not appear in the buildbot even though they have the Wii U target in the Makefile and can be compiled and are working.

Just for a closure for my post … the problem was that the PSX bios that I got was … named wrongly DOH

I know this is a bump, but there’s no sense in making a new thread; RA 1.5.0 official is completely broken. And yes, I did file a report on GitHub, whether how serious this issue is remains to be seen.

1 Like