Windows Nightly discussion thread

MAME cores might still be using the system mouse pointer somehow, since they are shallow ports that still have much of the functionality of the standalone application built in.

Can someone tell me what the correct way of updating RA is? I usually only update once every few months but Iā€™m never sure which files to overwrite and which ones to keep for my settings. Iā€™m guessing that even some of the config files may contain new settings so didnā€™t want to assume that I could just ignore them. Also, what about files that are no longer needed on newer versions like old dependencies?

P.S. I canā€™t seem to create a new Topic. Is that a new user restriction? :smiley:

Yes, new users arenā€™t allowed to make new topics unless theyā€™ve spent at least 10 minutes reading other forum threads. This is to encourage people to search for existing threads that answer their questions instead of asking the same questions over and over.

All you typically need to do is download the latest date-stamped nightly file (which is a much smaller download than the full one that includes all of the libs) and overwrite your retroarch.exe and retroarch_debug.exe files with the ones from the archive. However, sometimes we have to update the buildbotā€™s toolchain, which can introduce new/different dependencies. In that case, you can either also download the ā€œredistā€ package that contains all of the required libs or you can download the full package and just move your config files and directories and playlists over to the new installation (you should be able to just copy the subdirectories [e.g., screenshots, playlists, etc.] from your existing RetroArch installation into the new one, merging and replacing any duplicate directories and files).

Thanks @hunterk.

ā€œjust move your config files and directories and playlists over to the new installationā€

I guess thatā€™s the bit Iā€™m asking for specifics on. What are the actual files and directories that contain my user info, controller, core and shader settings? As you said, ALL subdirectories?

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, grab all of the subdirectories, e.g. assets, autoconfig, branding, cheats, etc., and then from the main directory, copy over retroarch.cfg and retroarch-core-options.cfg and, if you want to bring over your histories, get the content_image_history.lpl, content_music_history.lpl, content_video_history.lpl and content_history.lpl.

1 Like

Any progress on this issue?

I just tried 1.5 stable and Iā€™m still getting crashes with MAME cores, as explained in my posts above. Is there any testing I can do to help resolve this?

He needs a debugger backtrace. Youā€™ll need to download gdb (there are Windows builds in 64- and 32-bit flavors) and then put it in your RetroArch directory. Open a command window and type: gdb retroarch.exe and then at the gdb prompt, type: run --menu --verbose Then run through the steps to reproduce your crash. With gdb, it wonā€™t actually crash, itā€™ll just freeze, at which point you should go back to the command window and type: bt this should give you a backtrace that you can copy/paste to somewhere like pastebin and then post a link here with an @ to r-type to get his attention.

@hunterk Ok, following your instructions above and then starting MAME within RetroArch still produces a crash; and the stack seems to be empty after closing the error dialogue (I couldnā€™t type into the command window while the error dialogue was open).

Here are the final lines from the command window (following the regular RetroArch output):

warning: Invalid parameter passed to C runtime function.

[New Thread 5584.0xfa0] [Inferior 1 (process 5584) exited with code 03] (gdb) bt No stack.

Iā€™m happy to try to test this further, feel free let me know if there is a better place to continue than this thread.

An update to the above, using the MSVC build from @anon90536803 solves this issue for me.

(For anyone wanting this build it is now inluded in the nightlies).

hello, please fix the ā€˜mouse cursor will not disappearā€™-bug in cores such as genesis_plus_gx_libretro (Its not in all cores). And its even permanent after the start of retroarch (without even using a frontend like launchbox)!

it annoys really really bad!!

Dolphin Core: I have tried different games and in all of them the same thing happens to me.

Video Driver: gl No sound/No video. The application window is frozen

Video Driver: Vulkan The sound is heard but the application window is frozen.

RetroArch nightly version 09/04/2017 08:40 Windows 10 (15063.14)/i7 4771 3.50Ghz/GTX 780M/24GB Ram/SSD 250GB

retroarch need to fix the autosave on windows 10.

there is no way to properly ā€œfixā€ something if there is no detailed description of the problem and how to recreate the same thing.

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this or not, but it appears that achievements are not linking properly right now for Mega Man X (U) (V1.1). This was the case when I tested both the Windows and Linux builds, using both the Snes9x and Snes9x 2010 cores. Here is the log information Iā€™m seeing:

RetroArch [INFO] :: CHEEVOS testing SNES (8Mb padding) RetroArch [INFO] :: CHEEVOS getting game id for hash 107ec289a82bdd6be00ad5f627f116d3 RetroArch [INFO] :: CHEEVOS got game id 0 RetroArch [INFO] :: CHEEVOS testing NES (discards VROM) RetroArch [INFO] :: CHEEVOS testing Generic (plain content) RetroArch [INFO] :: CHEEVOS getting game id for hash 8998f2d66a84c1d44ab6387db7314efd RetroArch [INFO] :: CHEEVOS got game id 0 RetroArch [INFO] :: CHEEVOS this game doesnā€™t feature achievements

When using the same ROM file in RASnes9x, the achievements link properly. Other games appear to be working just fine, itā€™s just Mega Man X that seems to be having trouble for some reason. I have downloaded multiple versions from several different locations of the V1.1 ROM and all have had similar results.

Thanks!

Make sure Settings -> Core -> Enable Hardware Shared Context is set to ā€˜ONā€™, and that you have the necessary files put into your system directory.

Running Windows Xp 32bit Downloaded RA 1.5 and msvc2010 package, standalone pack as well as only exes.

Here is the thing, RA 1.5 by default gives me ā€œwrong parameterā€ error. I get the same error with nighties and msvc2010 however. If I use msvc2010 pack from this post , there is manifest file inside. If I take only manifest file and put it into RA root folder with msvc2010 exeā€™s and rename it to ā€œRetroarch.exe.manifestā€ I can launch Retroarch 1.5 and actually play it.

The issue is that when doing so I need to disable avast since it will freeze PC trying to scan it, I also have crash when changing shaders or core resolution in game but that might or might not have anything to do with this file. The guy mentioned that wrong manifest might not work with latest retroarch version but I lack knowledge to make a manifest file myself so this will have to suffice for now.

Do you guys plan on supporting xp?

Is there any way to get rumble working with a dinput controller device? Iā€™m trying to use my Dualshock 1 controllers with Beetle PSX HW and itā€™s not registering. Iā€™ve tried using x360ce to pass it through as a xinput device but that didnā€™t help.

The controller itself works fine but rumble is the only problem. I use it for Silent Hill speedruns to gauge my health so I donā€™t waste time opening the menu to check. Rumble works fine in other emulators and PC titles so itā€™s not my drivers either. I really want to use RA as my main PSX emulator but this is throwing me off if I canā€™t play as accurately as I normally would.

Hi, Iā€™m posting here because I donā€™t seem to have the ability to create new posts yet. I saw a couple problems with some of the latest windows builds of the cores:

In all cases Iā€™m using 1.6.0 for win 7 64bit and the latest as of 6/4 versions of the cores.

Mupen64 (non-Parallel): Core loads games but does not show any graphics. Sound is audible so it sounds like a graphics issue. Reverting back to my old July 2016 build of the core fixes the issue so itā€™s something post then.

Beetle-PSX (non hw) Core freezes and crashes during loading of the bios when you boot a game with the -c command line option to load an external config. Note that all other cores seem to be working fine with -c, I can load psx fine when I donā€™t use the command line (aka double click icon and load from menus, and that copying over my default config to another location and then using that with -c still causes the issue.

Anyone else having these issues?

mame_libretro.dll

pcsx_rearmed_libretro.dll

mame 32bit does is not working pcsx is not for windows.