Windows Nightly discussion thread

I have noticed netplay is not working for Genesis/Megadrive games on both PicoDrive and Genesis Plus GX cores as of the 9/26 nightly. Master System games work, just not Genesis/MegaDrive. I had TCPView open on the server and saw the process listener on the port I specified. When I start the client, it pauses briefly and then continues to start the ROM with the message 'Failed to initialize netplay." TCPView on the server shows the listener dies right after this. The debug output shows the same message on both client and server after attempting connection: “RetroArch [ERROR] :: Content SRAM sizes do not correspond.” A few of the games I tried to not have SRAM and the one I tried that did threw the same error. I’m not sure if this is actually related to how netplay operates at all. I haven’t run into this problem with any of the other cores.

Hi, I’m the guy who’s been fixing and/or breaking Netplay, depending on your perspective ;). That’s a known issue that should hopefully be fixed well before 1.3.7.

If you’re curious: Netplay now allows you to connect at any time, not just immediately upon launch, and more generally, allows you to save and load state with them transferring as expected over Netplay. The problem crops up because both Genesis cores report their SRAM size differently based on when you ask: If you ask at frame 0, they report what I assume to be a correct value, but if you ask later, they report size 0. I don’t know if this is intentional, and maybe they have a bug that they only discover the SRAM size after frame 0, but one way or another it confuses Netplay, because it’s part of how the peers assure they’ve loaded the same game. It’s now known, so either Netplay will be fixed to cope with cores that report in that way, or the cores will be fixed to report consistently.

[QUOTE=Yahweasel;47972]Hi, I’m the guy who’s been fixing and/or breaking Netplay, depending on your perspective ;). That’s a known issue that should hopefully be fixed well before 1.3.7.

If you’re curious: Netplay now allows you to connect at any time, not just immediately upon launch, and more generally, allows you to save and load state with them transferring as expected over Netplay. The problem crops up because both Genesis cores report their SRAM size differently based on when you ask: If you ask at frame 0, they report what I assume to be a correct value, but if you ask later, they report size 0. I don’t know if this is intentional, and maybe they have a bug that they only discover the SRAM size after frame 0, but one way or another it confuses Netplay, because it’s part of how the peers assure they’ve loaded the same game. It’s now known, so either Netplay will be fixed to cope with cores that report in that way, or the cores will be fixed to report consistently.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for explaining all of that. I’m happy to hear you’re working on this and netplay in general. Thanks for your hard work.

Retroarch 1.3.6 stable and nightly from 2016.10.09, does not work on windows XP S3, it just crashes with “The procedure entry point _itoa_s could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll”. Patcher from this topic fixed the issue but would be nice if this made into stable at some point.

For some reason since 1.3.3 I think, threaded video does not work for me. I can enable it midgame and it might have some effect but the moment I close retroarch and start again it crashes instantly and I have to change threaded video = “false” before I can use RA again.

The latest nightly release (2016-10-23) for Windows appears to be missing Retroarch.exe, Retroarch.cfg, as well as the Config, Core, and System folders. My understanding is that it would only be missing the cores.

Ah, yeah, looks like the 10/23 build package was broken. 10/24 is fine again.

Should we be able to display unicode characters in the current build? Saw that on twitter and some commits but my Japanese files are garbled still in the file list.

Nightlies starting from 22-10-16 are crashing for me when I want o lunch a game with mednafex psx. 20-10-16 working fine. Can’t provide any info as no command line is displayed with debug mode.

Is anyone else having input detection problems with the latest nightlies?

I have tried 10/25 - 10/30, none seem to detect my dinput or xinput controller, nothing comes up under the device index column in input settings…

[QUOTE=Nadonate;49999]Is anyone else having input detection problems with the latest nightlies?

I have tried 10/25 - 10/30, none seem to detect my dinput or xinput controller, nothing comes up under the device index column in input settings…[/QUOTE]

“Z & X” keyboard input changed to “ESC” & “ENTER” ?

[I][B]With the ENTER key will not let me download the CORE? Why?

Thank you![/B][/I]

the november issues of nightly seems to bug on me-keeps giving me Not Responding on its title bar and a grey overlay on RA screen although i can still run through the menu using my xbox 360 controller. i have since reverted to earlier releases and dont have this issue. im running RA on window mode switch app time to time.

Took me a long time to find it’s ! key now. (just left of right shift on my keyboard)

Thanks man. And since i’m using a pt-br abnt2 keyboard, my key is " shift + : ".

I think it should be nice if you guys add the option to rebind the search key in “Input Hotkey Binds”. :smiley:

Theres is something wrong with the latest FB Alpha core? For some reason retroarch won’t scan some csp2 roms to add them on my playlist, and even if i drag n drop the rom and choose the latest core it doesn’t work. The FB Alpha 2012 core works fine tho but i really want to use the latest core.

So the latest fba core have problems with csp2 roms (xmen vs street fighter and street fighter alpha 2) and i can’t seen to make the latest retroarchs to detect/scan these roms to add them on my playlist. ;/

Edit: The only way to add them is using the Retroarch Playlist Generator i downloaded here on this forum.

[QUOTE=Squilenator;50463]Theres is something wrong with the latest FB Alpha core? For some reason retroarch won’t scan some csp2 roms to add them on my playlist, and even if i drag n drop the rom and choose the latest core it doesn’t work. The FB Alpha 2012 core works fine tho but i really want to use the latest core.

So the latest fba core have problems with csp2 roms (xmen vs street fighter and street fighter alpha 2) and i can’t seen to make the latest retroarchs to detect/scan these roms to add them on my playlist. ;/

Edit: The only way to add them is using the Retroarch Playlist Generator i downloaded here on this forum.[/QUOTE]

romsets for CPS2 has been updated for fba 2.97.39 and mame .179-you need to update/download new romsets for cps2

Thanks man, downloaded the new romsets and everything is working fine but the scan feature, the scan can’t seem to find the new 0.2.97.39 roms, only the older ones. Is the rdb updated? :slight_smile:

I see unicode working in menu items when I select Japanese as language but not in the file browser. My music or videos with Japanese names still can’t be used in Retroarch.

Is that kind of support planned?

i do not think there is new dump for these updated roms-just manually updated hence probably no official rdb to reflect these new updates, i just manually made playlists using the guides that was uploaded here.

According to aliaspider, unicode filenames should work, as long as you have the proper language active in the menu. That is, Japanese filenames should show if you have Japanese as the menu language.

9:26 AM A<aliaspider> anyway, xmb uses a font in the assets by default 9:26 AM A<aliaspider> but you can override it in menu settings 9:26 AM A<aliaspider> the osd uses a system font by default, that you can override in osd settings 9:26 AM A<aliaspider> filenames would rely on the xmb font