xBR algorithm tutorial

Don’t mean to bug you again. Maybe because of my computer (I dunno) it won’t let me download that folder from github in a practical way. When I click on it, it takes me to code. If I download it, it makes me download a link.

If it’s not TOO much to ask (haha) could you compile this for me and put into a zip folder and upload it?

Sorry to ask so much :-/ Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to enjoy your work!

Thanks again. Ciao![/quote]

There is now a ‘Download ZIP’ option for every repo on Github.

My first rc for a xbr-hybrid multipass:

https://anonfiles.com/file/8576f48e46c8999c3eca71d60ca2de21

It is a 7 pass combination!! Works ok on PS3 and faster than the single pass versions.

Some advice please…

(1)With the new shaders and retroarch, what do you recommend as the best combo for Sega Genesis in your humble opinion?

(2) Also, any idea if the dithering filters will ever be fixed. They are GREAT in principle but mess up the text horribly. Have they been abandoned? If fixed, the make for a fine fix on the aging Genesis format.

My best combo SO FAR for Sega genesis: (Five pass) -mdpat pass 1 Nearest x1 -mdpat pass 2 Nearest x2 -3xbr 3.7c Nearest x3 -Quillex (note: doesnt work will all games and sometimes will make Retroarch freeze/crash, so I leave it out sometimes) Nearest x1 -Scanlines NONE NONE

I like this look but if you can offer something along these lines, but better, I’m all ears! Trying to stay away from presets that slow the thing down. Ruins if for me. At least that combo is full speed but you guys are the experts here.

Also, looking for a good suggestion for GBA since they always look terrible blown up to full screen.

So far, I use: -xbr2 light nearest x2 -xbr2 dark nearest x2 -quillez nearest x2 -Scanlines none none

(if dithering is an issue, I include the dithering from above for an extra 2 passes)

Again, any suggestions for GBA would be appreciated…

Thx! Alwayz a fan, :slight_smile:

P.S. If you have anything cool on the horizon (experimental filters, or upgrades, would love to hear about it!)

As you’re at it, try this combo and tell me if it works:

https://anonfiles.com/file/8bb54f60db03cdf8280fce45ead52acc

Copy the folder inside the zip to your xbr shader folder in retroarch.

Try this new xBR variant I’m working. It’s called xbr-dilation:

https://anonfiles.com/file/1b551bb99c1c068b95c87672f6b5f40c

Additionally to what xBR does, the dilation narrow a bit more dark edges and stretch light edges. It’s very good with cartoons.

For now it’s just single pass and based on 3.7c. I intend to make a multipass faster. It works best at 5x, but if it’s slow, then use 3x and a second shader as scale2x.cg, for example.

Try this new xBR variant I’m working. It’s called xbr-dilation:

https://anonfiles.com/file/1b551bb99c1c068b95c87672f6b5f40c

Additionally to what xBR does, the dilation narrow a bit more dark edges and stretch light edges. It’s very good with cartoons.

For now it’s just single pass and based on 3.7c. I intend to make a multipass faster. It works best at 5x, but if it’s slow, then use 3x and a second shader as scale2x.cg, for example.[/quote]

Simply amazing. Works great! This was my missing ingredient for solving a multitude of little yet nagging perfectionist issues with my custom shader passes. Bravo!

P.S. If they ever fix the dither passes (i.e. the way they mess with text, and introduce artifacts, etc.) then as far as Im concerned you’ve perfected this for the PS3 crowd (that is, looking to give their games a believable HD makeover).

Thank you so much!

Tks, so I added to common-shaders repository along a multipass version.

Working a bit more with xbr+dilation I’ve got some curious results (though it needs more work to get rid some glitches…):

Looks a lot like maister’s waterpaint shader:

Yes, though I didn’t intend that. Another difference is that I don’t blend colors, only warp them.

Some progress:

Original ------> 3xBR+Dilation:

That combo really does an awesome job of handling curves. Great work, man :smiley:

Yeah, my main problem is related to fonts. For now I only got a successful merge using the xbr rounded, which round too much some fonts. Semi-rounded and Squared versions don’t merge very well with dilation (too much glitches). There are other minor problems to fix too.

Other than fonts and huds, this filter does an great job with pixel art style:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3420/77ab.png

Is this the same dilation filter that you shared with me in the earlier post? or is this an updated new and improved one? if so, could you share this please? thank you!

No, I’ve figured out something more interesting:

It’s beta stage yet and is slow. Get here this shader: https://anonfiles.com/file/ca1d2f800e563f9c3086cfc181f40b0f

Put it after any xBR shader. My favorite is this combination:

shader0: 5xbr-3.7c.cg filter0: nearest scale: 5x

shader1: dilation.cg filter1:nearest scale:1x

use at 5 times the native resolution and you’ll see a dramatic increase in crispness!

This is what I got:

More screenshots of Retroarch on PS3 here:

Screenshot galleries -

Shader #1 - 5xbr-v3.8c.cg Shader #2 - warp/dilation.cg Shader #3 - xsoft/4xsoft.cg

From the other thread (mdapt)…

Let me know if you ever plan to create an optimized v2 of that xBR5dilation filter. :wink: I’m willing to donate $$$ if that’s an incentive (if you do that sorta thing). I think it’s better than you think and I will post pictures if it helps to see where I’m coming from.

Finally, thanx for all your hard work. For people who ‘get it’, this is what the retro scene is REALLY about.

There’s no much room to optimize that single pass shader. It really needs to be breaked in multipasses. So, I need to know what is better in this beta compared to the multipass version. You need to be more specific about it.

If you are curious, I make RetroXMB games so the different presets are useful since I can tailor each .pkg with the best possible look so that they will start up directly on the XMB looking good without the user being forced to configure it themselves (which take me out of the experience a little).

Thanx again. X-D

Do you publish them in some site or forum?

Added to common-shaders many xbr optimizations and a multipass version that has anti-aliasing and can be run at any aspect ratio.