3DS Nightly Discussion Thread

all games. it wont start any of them, with the error couldnt find audio driver named ctr and 'cannot push null or empty core info into playlist

I’m testing catsfc in my New Nintendo 3DS, it works very well, I was surprised by his great performance but I have a couple of problems with two games. The first is with the game “Super Mario All Stars”, works well but when you select a game the keyboard stops working, I tried playing many options but there is no way it will work, and I found it very odd that a game like this doesn’t work . Another game that doesn’t work well is “Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2”, when you’re fighting and all split screen starts flashing and vibrating the image appears, however, with the game “Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 3”, which is similar to this, it does not occur. I have the default settings, what is the problem?

Hi,

I confirm that the current build of Mednafen PCE fast core is not working. Launching a game just hangs with a black screen.

My setup: Browserhax with latest homebrew launcher on new 3ds fw 9.7.0-25E. Obviously using the .3dsx version

• I have tested the previous builds and none works.
  • The last error message is “'cannot push null or empty core info into playlist” but I think this is not related to the crash as all cores have this error even though they work fine.
  • I have tried to change the audio driver but still crashes. Disabling audio does not fix problem either.

Kudos for the excellent work on this build. And please keep the current GUI, please do not follow the android path with this new crazy GUI :slight_smile:

Found answer on another forum, posting it here in case someone is searching here:

pce_fast is now working again thanks to aliaspider with this nightly build: http://buildbot.libretro.com/.aliaspider/2015-11-11_RetroArch_3dsx.7z

Thx

[QUOTE=johnpd;30850]Found answer on another forum, posting it here in case someone is searching here:

pce_fast is now working again thanks to aliaspider with this nightly build: http://buildbot.libretro.com/.aliaspider/2015-11-11_RetroArch_3dsx.7z

Thx[/QUOTE]

Not working for me, tried loading Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and got the same crash as always.

Is it not fixed in the CIA builds yet?

I can confirm this. For some reason only that game from the ones I’ve tested has swapped pads when you get in game. Any ideas why this happens? So far only this game does that.

So uh, what happened to the menu to remap the buttons? I can’t seem to switch from my GBA controls (B+Y as A+B) to SNES controls from the menu anymore, just set a bunch of hotkeys for functions I never want to use.

Hey, I’m having troubles finding out how to set up different configs for different cores. I’d like to use the hotkey actions on QuickNES and Gambatte but a different config for the SNES Cores! By the way, Im running this on Hax 2.5 on a Old 3DS in Version 10.1.27.

Still having bad freezes/crashes on gpsp. Is there a specific release where this doesn’t happen, or some way I can help to test fixes or something? Everything else about this is great, but the freezing is making it unplayable when it hard locks my N3DSXL!

I get a black screen with fMSX in my N3DS. I downloaded the Dec 23rd 3DSX nightly and tried both Vampire Killer and Metal Gear, black screen on both.

Any suggestions? Do I need additional files for it?

Edit: Yeah I just saw I needed additional files to get fMSX working. Basically, you can find them under the libretro-fmsx site on GitHub under fMSX -> ROMs Then, put all of the files found in ROMs inside the /retroarch/system/ folder like you would for any other BIOS files. That did the trick.

On a side note, I am still having issues with the filters giving me a black screen in other cores.

Let’s say I enable 2x filter in PocketSNES. If I leave the filter enabled and load another core like Nestopia, I get a black screen upon game boot. This happens with any other core and with ANY game.

Thought about reporting this.

1. Which cores use dynarec and therefore should not be run as .3dsx in order to get the best speed? (Edit: Never mind this, the answer is in the gbatemp retroarch thread)

2. If I have a fully hacked 3DS and I use the Yellows8 Homebrew Launcher to launch a .3dsx, is it still unable to do dynarec even though I ran it on a machine with full permissions?

For your second question I’m not sure (though I’d bet money on “no”) but why would you want to do that when you can easily install them as CIAs?

So im using the latest nightly of gpSP and noticing the image is ever so slightly blurred, im guessing that because of the HW Bilinear Filtering being enabled, but when you turn it off the edge of the sprites seem to have alot of articafs around them. Is there a way to get the image to look more like an actual GBA display…im guess shaders are out of the question on the N3DS??

New problems with GPSP, there’s a green bar flicker across the top of the screen, and Mother 3 now crashes instead of loading perfectly.

As a follow up to the tearing effect on the top of the screen, I’ve been able to reproduce it with the hacked version of Super Mario Advance 4 that enabled all 38 eReader levels from the start. I have seen that such hack always has the tearing effect on top of the screen with the latest nightlies and it seems to be the only game that always has that on the top of the screen, while others just have it some times and other not at all.

Perhaps this could help out to track down the problem and reproduce it on the end of the developers. I am using a N3DS with the CIA build of gpSP in a 10.5.0-30U emunand.

On a side note, is there anyway to save the button layouts per core/CIA? Everytime I boot up the CIA they default to their original setting.

On a 3DS, I tried Mame on the game Phoenix using a recent build, in .cia format.

Using Mame 2000, the game appears to work. However, the aspect ratio doesn’t make sense or work properly. It claims that aspect ratio is 2:2 (1:1 PAR). This would only make sense if Phoenix had square pixels and the same vertical and horizontal resolution, which it doesn’t. If you turn off integer scale and HW bilinear filtering, you can see that it is clearly stretching the game horizontally and not actually using either 1:1 PAR or 2:2 DAR. Trying this on a PC causes the same problem.

Furthermore, rotation of 90 or 270 degrees mirrors it–it doesn’t rotate it. This problem does not happen on a PC; rotation works correctly.

Using Mame 2003, Phoenix is rotated and can’t be unrotated. Furthermore, it starts out mirrored as well. It claims that aspect ratio is 26:31 (1:1 PAR) but it is obviously using neither 26:31 DAR nor 1:1 PAR. On a PC, it works correctly; it’s not mirrored or rotated and it actually has 1:1 PAR.

(I wonder if part of the problem is related to the fact that Phoenix is 208x248 and the 3DS is only 240 pixels high. It really ought to just cut off the pixels.)

Also, are we ever going to be able to use 3D on the 3D Master System and Famicom games?

In addition:

FCEUMM core renders a 240x224 area and claims 4:3 core provided DAR. Nestopia renders a 256x224 area and also claims a 4:3 core provided DAR. It is impossible, of course, for these two different shaped areas to have the same DAR.

NES pixels are 8:7 PAR, so a 240x224 area should have 240 * 8/7 / 224 = 1.224 DAR and a 256x224 area should have 256 * 8/7 / 224 = 1.306 DAR. Since the 8/7 figure is not exact anyway, reasonable values to use are 5:4 for FCEUMM and 4:3 for Nestopia.

I believe this problem is not 3DS-specific.

All these problems still exist on the 3/15 build.

Also, the icons for Retroarch are terrible. Two different emulators for the same system use the same icons and image. I suggest adding text to the image so that if you cursor over Mame 2000 for instance, it will say “Mame 2000” rather than make the user guess which is which.

(Is there some place to report bugs? Because this obviously isn’t it…)

Is there any shaders for the Gameboy cores to give an authentic look to the games?

Shaders don’t work on 3DS, AFAIK.