[4.3][Live] Setup Advice (RESOLVED)

I’m considering running Lakka from a live USB with my roms being hosted on an i5, 8GB, 1TB ssd. I currently have Lakka 4.3 installed on this device but when using a live setup, what is the best/recommended way of making these roms accessible to Lakka.

:slight_smile:

Hi! Not sure what you mean. By default the internal HDD should be available mounted under roms/, unless there is something weird going on.

I would like Lakka to run from the USB device only.

The computer that was previously running Lakka, I would like to use for hosting roms only.

How would this be best achieved. Re-install a Linux distro (say Fedora) or setup as a NAS (TrueNAS). I would like to access this computer using either SMB or SSH and just drop the roms onto the SSD.

I hope the above makes for sense.

Another option could be to purchase a small M.2 card to host Lakka with the roms on the 1TB ssd. I’m looking at separting the OS from the roms.

I get the idea, but normally this is done the other way around (os on device, roms on external).

If you don’t need the SSD to be bootable, I would just format it completely as ext4 with a live USB of e.g. Ubuntu.

Afterwards ROM copying can be done with Lakka itself via SMB or SSH.

Yes, I know what you mean which is why I may get an M.2 chip inside (if supported).

As I’ve also got a few small’ish USB’s hanging around, I may dedicate these to individual consoles.

With the SSD formated as ext4, should Lakka just see this drive once the USB’s have loaded Lakka and be accessible via SMB or SSH without having to make any chages?

Yes, all storage devices mount automatically under /storage/roms/DRIVE, where DRIVE is either the id or label of the drive.

The only change you have to make is enabling smb and ssh in lakka.

1 Like

Thanks, that worked a treat :+1:. Is it possible to rename the labelled drive?

Having the OS on USB drives will now allow me to switch between stable and development builds.

I don’t think that Lakka has the tools to do that. You would need again that live Linux USB and do it with a partition manager like gparted (or equivalent).