4K Bezel Overlay Variations

Sure, of course! probably best to use it non-destructively and drop it into your PSD and set it as a smart object before you scale it into place, that way if you ever need to upscale it/them/these will keep the resolution?: 4k Taito CoinMech

Oh yeah, I do most things with SmartObjects for that reason, I rescale for different overlays all the time.

I also have a directory on my drive (which I should really add to my dropbox folder to share as well), with the different assets I pull in to the overlays too, with the original files.

Thanks for the hi-res render!

1 Like

ok, been way to busy today to ask about renderer on my side so will have to wait till, monday, might get some time to model on the Zaccaria, but have to say also a bit busy here, so if you want and have time, you can also do the zaccaria (it seems popular).

edit: might get the renderer next week :wink:

1 Like

@ArsInvictus Sorry, of course you do! (hope that didnā€™t sound condescending!) Iā€™m always amazed when I get artwork files and people have either flattened layers instead of saving a larger .PSB or have multiple instances of the same image ā€˜destructivelyā€™ used which needs manually replacing/updating, itā€™s like going back to the 90ā€™s all over again!!

Iā€™m so grateful to have found a community that has the same goal with the same like-minded approach to their work on these vertical overlays, striving for authenticity and quality - the difference it makes to the feel of these games really is incredible.

A link to the assets youā€™re using would be a real asset to the community Iā€™m sure, there are so many rabbit holes to fall down when looking for this stuff its easy to get overwhelmed by the options and clean-up work only to find somethings already been done, even at the same time! I have dozens of 2k overlays I worked on prior to this group (before my 4k screen upgrade) which Iā€™ve found on here again either by you, @Dreamstate @Briball (and more!) often using clearly better scans than I was able to find in my limited time!

@Briball, Iā€™m happy to take a proper stab at the door, maybe we can discuss sharing the work/door builds if youā€™re happy with my results for your overlays too. (it can be so subjective! :rofl:)

@ArsInvictus, your welcome for the Hi-res render, glad your happy with it, Iā€™ll crack on with some more and thank you again for all your beautiful overlays.

Now, If anyone knows of a decent Roadblasters screen bezel scan (from the deluxe cab) then please throw it my wayā€¦

3 Likes

Itā€™s great having you join us here! The quality of the work Is what brought me here and continues to keep me motivated. Itā€™s a privilege to be able to offer up something in return for all that this community has given me. Only now Is my work starting to be good enough to release to the public as new artwork and not something re hashed. Itā€™s pretty exciting for me. I like photo realism, authenticity, old school rarities and classics and will be focusing on those that havenā€™t been available yet. I look forward to whatā€™s next from everyone because it just keeps getting better and better. I told Ars today that I couldnā€™t believe that I was close to getting the artwork I thought I would never get. Stumbled on the artwork online, cleaned it well enough to be used and soon itā€™ll be In complete form exactly as I imagined It. Couldnā€™t have done it without a handful of people like Ars, Briball, Raspbear, MrDo, Nightvoice.

4 Likes

I second @Dreamstate in saying welcome to the community here! I think weā€™re getting a good crew of artists here and working together on these things definitely makes it a lot more fun and only improves the quality of what all of us are creating :slight_smile:

I know, I see so many examples of people who use Photoshop destructively and I donā€™t understand it. I guess they just donā€™t get the basics of how layers and masking work, etc. I admit when I first started on these things I didnā€™t know how that worked, but I do most everything non-destructively now as much as possible (tho some things are simplified if I merge and dup, just at the cost of a larger PSB file). Iā€™m still learning all the time with this stuff too, Photoshop is a very deep product.

For myself, Iā€™ve really enjoyed getting into doing more restoration work, cleaning up the marquees and bezels, and I probably am spending more of my time on that now than on the actual overlays. Custom designs for games missing art is also a lot of fun too and Iā€™m glad people have generally liked what Iā€™ve done with those.

Iā€™m currently working on restoring the Tecmo Knight bezel Mr. Do has and have ordered an original marquee that should arrive this weekend too. So that will be incoming in the next week I hope (if I can find time!)

BTW, one nit-picky thing on the Taito coin door. The sort of glossy texture on the coin insert frame is a little distracting and doesnā€™t quite fit the overall look when I put it into the Colony 7 overlay. Would you be up for doing a second version using more similar material to what you used on the coin drop doors? I think it will blend a little better.

Iā€™ll take a look around for a Roadblasters bezel too and let you know if I find something.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your work. That Zaccaria door will be so nice with the Vanguard overlay! No harm in both of you giving it a stab and having alternative versions for these things.

3 Likes

I agree with all you said @Dreamstate, and Iā€™m glad to see your passion and enthusiasm for this work as well as the art. It really motivates me to keep driving forward on all this!

2 Likes

@Dreamstate Thanks very much! great to be here - lovely to hear your passion for this and its evident in your work, every effort for each new overlay is appreciated!

@ArsInvictus No problem, Iā€™ll sort that texture out for you, though its actually the lights in the image Iā€™m using as an environment map you can see reflected - good to know your preferences for those kind of things - I guess working on it in isolation iā€™m focusing on just the door so itā€™s easy to give it too much focus - Iā€™ll keep the shine to a minimum/diffused (as per that lower door) and we can always tweak details like that if anyone wants it increased - looking forward to finishing that Zaccaria door, itā€™s looking good so far, though Iā€™ll keep the shine down on it as itā€™s super chrome in the reference pictures.

Totally agree, the restoration work is key and a massive part of the joy in all this, the final result is a kind of restoration of the whole game in itself, as close to how it was intended to be presented as most of us are ever going to see in some more obscure cases!, though I do love some of the wear and tear/aging of the original machines if itā€™s subtle, shows they had some life, having this cleaned feels like they would have when they rolled off the factory floor.

Btw, does anyone have any generic vertical bezels set up? I have a simple overlay for vert and horz games that are waiting in line for the proper treatment, I keep changing my mind on how they should look but I will share it when theyā€™re cleaned up a bit - anyone got any they want to share here?

2 Likes

@ArsInvictus @Dreamstate @PapaShine,

Glad to be here too, still new to the emulation game and also renewing my Photoshop and now also rendering skills, still very oldschool, but tbh donā€™t think 8k is in my future just yet. And never merge down layers, dont know much about the smart objects stuff, but can look into it, here to learn. I do find that I figure a new technique or trick that would mean revisiting previous overlays to update the look.

Anyway a default cab, I have seen some, but never like the logos or things used in the marquee or bezels, what I was thinking was a stripped cab, showing the interior( to tubes in the marquee or just the screen mounted on the cab) no graphics just the cab. Like itā€™s ready to be put back together. Anyway just a thought.

Anyway just want to say enjoy doing the cabs I remember in the arcades as a kid ( will be looking for some old 70ā€™s stuff soon, but was thinking to do track and field next (things like that). And if people have requests, Ill take the challenge.

3 Likes

Like the idea of a WIP for the default/generic @Briball - perhaps a small variety of that approach for people to choose - seeing the bare exposed wood, CRT mount, electronics, and wiring harness, etc could look pretty sweet! would have to make it look atmospheric though, some nice art direction would work wonders for it.

1 Like

well havenā€™t done much today, just had half anhour while kids test the game ;), so I thought I would mockup a quick generic cab. just to test the idea.

3 Likes

Hope the kids are enjoying it! looks incredible :slight_smile: thatā€™s a great mock up - great for reference, do you envision a 3D render of this (if you even have time to have time to build it!) or perhaps share the load? I could definitely build it out for a proper lighting pass if you like - we could put an open coin door at the bottom as a nod to the completed overlays too.

Might pull it into mame tonight to see how it looks!

2 Likes

bucky (Arcade)

3 Likes

cninja (Arcade)

2 Likes

mk2 (Arcade)

5 Likes

mk4 (Arcade)

3 Likes

tmnt2 (Arcade)

3 Likes

invaders (Arcade)

2 Likes

@walter.farmacia you have been busy, if you have a link to these files (png) then I can add it to the 4k sheet if you want.

are these Mame lays, just wondering how you are setting up the space invaders as I couldnā€™t get the backdrop to be transparent on my ā€œboothillā€

1 Like

ddragon3 (Arcade)

3 Likes