4K Bezel Overlay Variations

Duuuude. That looks so good! I think the lighting is a bit too bright and harsh, but I’m guessing u will tweak that stuff when u get to the final render. I’d love to see you give the Taito coin door the same treatment when you get a chance. It will be so nice to get some renders for things like the speakers etc too.

1 Like

Yeah the place is amazing. I’ve been meaning to go in on a Monday when they do the mystery game reveal to talk to Doc Mack. I chatted with him on facebook about collaborating on some artwork, doing restores in exchange for making the results available for overlays etc. He said he’d be up for it, but I really need to meet him to work out the details.

Yeah, I don’t know his take on it. I’m guessing they want to hold the scans to themselves so they have an edge over other print shops. I personally feel this should all be public domain and the print shops purpose is just to provide high quality printing services for arcade materials. But I’ll see how he thinks about it when we meet.

Went camping solo for two days “off the grid.” Pleasant surprise to see all the coin door development! Super work, guys.

1 Like

Yeah This is a quick lighting pass( but rough direction of where light is coming from), but I will try to keep it simple and a bit bright so you can match it better to different cabs, if I go to dark then you loose details that you might want.

Today is my daddy day so won’t do much today, probably tomorrow night (Dutch time).

Yeah I wish some would bring their work to public domain, but that’s their business model I suppose, also annoying when they hard watermark even joysticks and stuff, like there is so much illegal use of those images.

Have a good one

3 Likes

Hey @ArsInvictus , sorry I’m a bit late to the party on this one - I saw this (and your mention me) briefly and while waiting on some work to render I put an hour into working on the Taito door you asked about, but only just seen the work done below by @Briball building out some 3D, not trying to step on any toes! here’s a re-build using your photoshopped door as a guide to test:

Obviously that’s a rough test but works well enough.

Might be worth getting an art kit of elements (door hinges; buttons, metal plates, etc) together so you can build these as you need them, wouldn’t take too long to build up a bunch of them as PSDs

6 Likes

Wow, that looks awesome! You are really fast, that basic little hand drawn thing I did took me HOURS and looks so tawdry by comparison LOL. Thanks for chipping in on this :slight_smile:

Yeah I agree, getting some components we can use ad hoc to do some custom coin doors for more variety would be a good idea.

I think it would be good to produce some other elements too, for these overlays, like variations for the moldings as well as more speaker grills that are sourced from original cabinet designs etc.

I’m open to any and all suggestions.

2 Likes

My pleasure, glad your happy with it, your layout helped allot! - years of practice (not to mention x2 Destiny’s, x10 call of duty’s, various skylanders, Assasins Creed BF etc etc) has been good prep for this I guess :slightly_smiling_face:!

I am going to play with some 3D cab builds to drop art into to get various assets like t-trim/t-moulding and monitor bezels (for those of us not running that awesome realtime shader!).

Throw over some ref for speakers you want to see and I’ll find some time to start getting them done.

Also going to play with building some Photoshop files with the 3D models in for elements you can adjust in real-time directly in PS if the results are good enough…

3 Likes

10 call of duty’s! Yeah I guess you’ve got a little practice in lol. Those are some great games. I’m glad you can share those skills with the community here!

I’ll scout around for some good ref photos. And I think a trip to Galloping Ghost is in order once they open up. I can get really good photographs there to work from, much better than what we’ll find on the internet.

I threw your door into the colony 7 overlay. I need to put some work into getting the levels right so it blends better, but it looks so good! If you are going to refine it even more, I’ll hold off on that until you are done. btw, that yellow light might be too bright based on the ref photo, but it’s hard to say since the overall lighting was bright. It’s a real shame we don’t have better pictures available for these things.

4 Likes

Glad to see it in the overlay so quickly! Love some of these more obscure game cabinet art, it really makes my vertical cabs feel more like pieces of art! Yes, I’ll tweak it a little more tomorrow - give you some flat levels so you can grade it into your comp better. I would work on it now but its just passed 4am in the UK and sleep is calling! I’ll PM the update - night!

2 Likes

Great work and not stepping on toes here. Modeling for me at work is mostly speedmodel work and haven’t touched a shader or render in years. ( Sen. Env artist at Guerrilla). Mostly everything goes to outsourcing here nowadays. So it’s fun to just get back into it. I need to get Arnold working to get better rendering, If you could do the metal version of the Taito, that would be cool I feel it suites the old cabs for what I have seen. I noticed you kept the Taito logo where I fudged it, as otherwise you wouldn’t see it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Something I have been figuring out is that yellow button is actually a cap. Not light. Some cabs have replaced it with a button (for credits or start, it has something to do with pinball legacy usage), but I like it as light anyway, but just thought I would mention.

I think we might need to bump the overall ambient so when placing it in PS you’ve got enough shades to work with. (just saw it on a monitor, not my phone, a slight bump :wink: )

2 Likes

That’s cool @briball, so did you happen to work on Horizon Zero Dawn? That was one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever played on the PS4 Pro. Really great overall game too.

Yeah, I think you are right, the yellow was just a cap, but it does look cool lit up, so @Papashine, maybe keep it lit but not quite so bright?

I’ve found a bunch of reference images for different coin doors, and each of them seemed to be fairly standard parts used in a lot of cabs from various companies.

Stern Coin Doors:

Early-Original-STERN-Arcade-Pinball-Machine-Coin-Door-w-Harness

Gottlieb

Centuri

Defender

Atari

tempest_e

Let me know if you think these would be sufficient to work from.

3 Likes

Now we’re cookin with gas! That’s what I’m talkin about. rubs hands in anticipation I’m off to the ZZZ site for some referrence samples.

2 Likes

Nintendo Coin Door (Donkey Kong and similar cabs):

R-Type/R-Type II Coin Door:

3 Likes

I started a bit on the Zaccaria coin door, I couldn’t resist, in-between work. But I don’t think I can do good renders, as I am using work pc I can’t install stuff without permissions. And have to get myself up to speed with the shaders and rendering again. But that is good for me anyway.

Anyway looks like we are getting lots of ref.

1 Like

Hey @ArsInvictus, I had this done yesterday but didn’t have time to jump on here and upload! This one is much closer to the photo reference (which I didn’t see before!) and lighter so you can adjust as you need it. I’m trying to keep modeling time and render time to a minimum so there’s room to tweak the elements in PS and allows me to get these done quick. I think it might help to agree on a lighting standard, maybe 2 or three variations for each door so it fits everyone’s needs? - btw, I’ve also started on a few of the elements for those coin doors you shared, lovely ref!

Any particular ones you want first? Still finishing 2 Vcabinet builds so going to work these into what little spare time I have over the next week or so.

3 Likes

All good and fair comment @Briball! because of crazy deadlines, i hadn’t seen the photo reference so only worked off the hand-drawn layout from @ArsInvictus, hopefully the new one is more in line with what your thinking - i went for a screen printed paint look for the black of the logo with the metal showing through in the white, does that look better?

@Dreamstate, good to have some bespoke rendered elements to work with for sure - glad your excited - Love the Zaccaria coin mech!

2 Likes

sweet, nice little details. yeah i am also getting a bit swamped so no worries, enjoy your build.

1 Like

This looks fantastic and much closer to the original than my simple drawing :slight_smile:

I agree on the lighting options. I think what you have there now will work will for my own overlays, it matches the subtle lighting that I already have been using (angle left of center). Totally open to any suggestions on that one, I think this is an area you would have more experience with :slight_smile:

The logo looks great as well. I thought the Taito logo was white in the reference photo, but that may just have been the aluminum base and lighting, now that I look more closely. So I think what you have there looks good.

That Zaccaria door would also be good to do first, as I’m doing a version of a Zaccaria Vanguard cab with @Dreamstate’s assistance, and that would really polish it off nicely!

Otherwise, all the coin doors are very useful. But, I have a personal affection for R-Type and would love to get that door for it, and I’ve been updating the marquee for that one recently but haven’t published it. I think the Stern door is a very unique look and have seen it used quite a bit on a lot of cabinet photos for whatever reason. So those two would be good next efforts. Beyond that the Atari and Nintendo would probably be the next in my own list.

It’s a shame I can’t usually put much of the coin door in the overlay for these, but having these out there for the community to use will be fantastic for other arcade related projects I’m sure. So it’s great that you are doing this!

2 Likes

Oh btw, can you render to ridiculous resolution? With all this stuff I’m thinking of a future where we are doing 8K versions of all these overlays :wink:

1 Like