4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

That’s great. It would have been a shame if you couldn’t use the GRS sticks.

“Configure your controller mappings. Save. Undo all of that.” :upside_down_face:

How do the Ultimarc sticks compare to the GRS?

1 Like

I actually never set the Ultimarcs up because I saw the GRS sticks coming out and I’ve been working on building the cabinet. So I had both on hand and went with the GRS to start. The Ultimarcs seem to have an awkwardly long shaft for use on a metal control panel and don’t come with the tops (I ordered some on Etsy), though the tops I have from Etsy seem to match the original size more. The GRS are much larger than the originals. I can’t speak to the feel, etc since I haven’t really used them. I’ve been pretty happy with the feel of the GRS sticks from the little play testing I’ve been doing while setting up the games.

I have the GRS working well now and everything seems stable so I’ll just stick with them. I’m hoping I can get the cab all together in the next day or 2 and will share pics of the finished product.

1 Like

Next level stuff! I need one of those vertical arcade cabs.

1 Like

Batman (1990)

Batman is a horizontally scrolling beat 'em up arcade game released by Atari Games in North America. The Block-buster movie is now the arcade hit!!

9 Likes

That looks great @walter.farmacia!

1 Like

CRUIS’N BLAST 4K Vertical Overlay

This overlay requires the Retroarch WindowCast core

I think this one looks best with an HDR display.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Asterix Overlay

I can only share the PNG at the moment, the computer I use to test with had it’s power supply die, so if someone would like to package this up and set it up for megabezel that would be cool.

Along with the marquee I posted earlier I also created a custom bezel I’ll share in case @Orionsangel would like to use it for his overlays (no idea if you have done this game Orion…).

Let me know if anything looks off since I’m just viewing this on a smaller screen.

Asterix Bezel

8 Likes

That looks fantastic! Yes, I would like any original bezels you have. I haven’t done that game. It’s getting harder to find any original bezels these days. It feels like I did most of them. Thanks @ArsInvictus for all your hard work. You’re appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks @Orionsangel, you are welcome! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@NeoKarnage I finished up the Ikari Warriors cabinet (other than wiring the coin lights) with the GRS sticks and it came out great. The sticks are working really well and no problems at all after quite a lot of playing at this point.

6 Likes

Looks really cool. You’ve captured the essence of the original in a modern cabinet. :grin: I like the GRS sticks a lot. I avoided the rotator games for years due to lack of proper controls. I’m really enjoying playing them again. Do the Ultimarc sticks click on rotation?

2 Likes

Those cabinets are actually pretty close replicas of original Dynamo HS-1’s, I got the plans from classicarcadecabinets.com and had them CNC cut. A ton of games from that era basically used those cabs, so it’s pretty authentic to the era. It was a lot more work than I anticipated getting them all together though. I paid like half the price for the R-Type there and all I had to do was plug it in lol.

I was the same way on the rotator games, never played them because it just didn’t feel right. I’m actually really enjoying SAR right now, and a friend of mine turned out to be a huge Gondomania fan and I hadn’t heard of that game until now either.

Yeah the Ultimarcs do click too, they are simpler devices, just 12-way, but it’s nice they can be configured to appear as a keyboard for the joystick itself, much simpler setup from that perspective. It would be nice if Glen added the ability to do that for the rest of the joystick directional inputs and not just the rotation and up/down movements.

1 Like

They’re very nice replicas. I just meant they’re new builds. :grin:

There aren’t many LS-30 games but what’s available are challenging and fun. Have you tried DownTown?

1 Like

Nope, had not even heard of downtown! I’ll add it to the cab. Another one I need to add is TNK 3, haven’t played that one either yet. There are more of these games than I thought

1 Like

Pretty interesting aspect ratio monitor that I just realized exists, it’s 16:18, not sure this might be useful for someone here

4 Likes

Super Off Road 4K Vertical Overlay

This is one I played when I was probably 9 at a pizza parlor in Kansas City when I visited during a Summer. I saw a really great cabinet of this at Level1up Arcade here in downtown Gilbert AZ. Snagged some photos and here is the result of stitching them together.

Feel free to post a .lay file for this. But here is the retroarch compatible version. There are 3 versions of the overlay. Basically ranging from lightest to darkest.

9 Likes

Experimenting with some art ideas for The Outfoxies after learning about the game from a YouTube video by VideoGameEsoterica. Here’s a marquee idea, planning something for a bezel too. I may do another variation on this using the flyer art too:

2 Likes

Not one i’ve heard of but looks cool! The only reference i could find was here https://x.com/GGA_Ghostlord/status/1499161994263515140?s=20

1 Like

Yep, Galloping Ghost is the only place I’ve seen this game. It was never released in NA, it seems to have a cult following though. May have been the inspiration for Smash Bros.

1 Like

Oh wow! That is really interesting. Both the rarity of the game/cab and the story about potential smash bros roots.

1 Like