4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

What game are you loading? Can you confirm you don’t have any override files that might be interfering? And you are using the Multigame preset for all the games?

Also, can you confirm you have all the files downloaded? There are base parameter files that need to be in each directory, as well as a Textures subdirectory that is used for overlays with the plastic bezels like Neo Geo, so it’s best to download the entire pack.

I downloaded the all files, tried it with the game x-men vs street fighter (MAME and Final Burn). neogeo games work. How do I rotate?

1 Like

If you are on windows you will need to set the desktop orientation to Portrait, then restart retroarch.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing these so us non-vertical guys can use them as well. Awesome work.

2 Likes

Sure, and I like to do this stuff at print resolution in case anyone wants to do a reproduction cab or needs it for a restore. I like the preservation aspect as much as the overlays.

5 Likes

Following @HyperspaceMadness suggestions, I’ve made Mega Bezel settings for Boot Hill, using Disc of Tron example. However, there is something odd with this game. It’s detected as horizontal, but I think it’s actually a vertical/tate game. If you look at the CRT overlay, you can clearly see where the CRT fits vertically, with the score and time at the top, and the ammo at the bottom, leaving the huts at the sides, outside the actual CRT screen.

You can find it at @ArsInvictus drive.

2 Likes

A few arcade games used horizontal art along with a vertical monitor. Most had a monitor that was level and a mirror that reflected the screen onto the backdrop. (Space Invaders Deluxe comes to mind.)

2 Likes

Thanks @Duimon. So, it does not matter if the CRT is vertical or horizontal , but the art is what defines if the game belongs to vertical or horizontal category?

I think that is subjective. From a a hardware and parameter perspective, vertical is vertical. From a visual perspective, if it feels horizontal I suppose it is.

I’ve talked with @ArsInvictus due to the NeoGeo preset having some underscan. You can clearly see the CREDITS word is not shown correctly. That’s because the HSM_BZL_SCALE_OFFSET = "97.800034" parameter in the neogeo.params file. It should be 100. I´ll edit later today (no access to GDrive at the moment) but just in case you are wondering how to fix that.

When I was setting up my MB games, the overlay games were pretty tricky… like Boot Hill, Destroyer, Dogpatch, Frogs, etc… I was looking at pictures of the actual cabinets running and manually sizing the graphics to be in the right place on top of the overlay. It took time but they look good now. Of course, I don’t sit down for long sessions playing any of those games, but I’m sure you all understand the nostalgia obsession. :grin:

4 Likes

I’ve updated the Neo Geo shader parameters and it’s looking good on my setup at this point. I’ve also improved the texture for the reflections so it looks more natural over the plastic. Please update and let me know if anything looks off!

2 Likes

Just thought I’d share my own Neo Geo shader preset. I have an original Neo Geo cabinet at home with the original monitor and spent some time trying to get settings that replicate the look as much as possible. I’m not sure if these settings are “technically” accurate, I’m just going by my eyes, but it looks pretty darn convincing to me. I’ve also included things like raster bloom and deconvergence effects, because both are present in the actual monitor. Anyway, if you want to try these for yourselves, just add the following line to the neogeo.params file:

#reference “_arsinvictus-neogeo-shader-prefs.params”

2 Likes

Nice! It seems like the reflection mask stuff you did is looking really good!

I need to update the examples with some of your updated magic :grin:

4 Likes

Coming from the creator himself that’s a big compliment! :smiley:

Adjusting the MIP mapping setting seemed to help with getting the texture in the reflection, other than that mostly just the reflection amounts, etc. There may be some sort of unnecessary stuff in that config, I was adjusting a lot of things and just saved it off when I was happy with it.

3 Likes

I’ve upload some overlays and their .params to the @ArsInvictus drive. Hope you like them!!

7 Likes

Some overlays and .params files in “anti-alphabetical order” :grin: for a change. As usual, in the @ArsInvictus GDrive.

Zwackery has some “moire” due to being a 480 lines games in my 1080p monitor. Should be fine in 4K.

3 Likes

Last overlays for today. Hope you like’em.

5 Likes

Hi @K-rnivoro ,

It seem missing ScreenPlacementImage and BackgroundImage for ddragon in his params file :wink:

Tks again for your work and a BIG tks to @MagicHat @ArsInvictus and @HyperspaceMadness for the multigame parameters.

3 Likes