4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

@Dreamstate, that’s fantastic to hear that you are doing this! I’ve been hoping some kind soul out there would be willing to do the work to convert them into MAME format, as you are right, it is very tedious and I much prefer to spend my time doing the art and design work. If you have these available it would be great to share them back with the community so the MAME fans can make use of these. It would also be nice for Retroarch users, because as @hunterk mentioned, it saves a lot of manual set up work you have to do in Retroarch to set the viewport sizes etc.

Can you see if you can provide some screenshots? Or if you can provide some example zip files? I’d like to check out what you have done. If you are open to sharing, I can put them on my dropbox to share if that makes it easier for you as well. I do want to have a kind of “pure” version of my own work out there for MAME, but if you make adjustments like the black lighting, etc, we can share both versions and people can pick what they like.

whoops, those got approved in reverse order. Yeah, the forum doesn’t like zip files uploaded, so you would need some other hosting, be it dropbox or mega or whatever.

That’s really cool, I like the effect you have going there on the centipede overlay. You should set up to share your stuff, some other people might like the style and want to use it too. No worries, about the lay files. At some point I’ll set aside a weekend or two and do all the MAME conversions. I’ve done 70+ vertical overlays now, so it’s gonna be a big effort.

3 Likes

Shadow Dancer 4k Vertical Overlay

8 Likes

U.N. Squadron 4k Vertical Overlay

7 Likes

Esp Ra. De. 4K Vertical Overlay

I did a custom instruction strip based heavily on the original instruction cards (along with marquee and bezel):

8 Likes

I love this game! Great job!

3 Likes

Thanks @Orionsangel ! I’m thinking to rework this bezel design though, to make it more legit with more of the original artwork. Will have to see how it turns out.

3 Likes

I like it, but I’d be curious to see what else you would come up with.

1 Like

Darkstalkers 4k Vertical Overlay

This game had the weirdest branding, totally different logo design on the marquee than in the game. Unless I’m missing some vital bit of arcade lore… But, I followed the marquee here in terms of the logo etc.

I cleaned up the marquee here:

8 Likes

I updated Mushihimesama to my newer design elements. I’m not sure I ever posted the version with the translated instruction card either. So that is here now too.

10 Likes

Altered Beast 4K Vertical Overlay

7 Likes

Ah, that one really takes me back… EDIT: that coin door is a nice little detail, too

2 Likes

Yeah, it was my first game on the Genesis. Played it way too much.

I’ve actually been going back over my older overlays and replacing the branding with the coin door. I agree it’s a nice touch and more authentic, and it fills up that empty space, which is what I was really using the logos for anyway.

2 Likes

Vampire Savior 4k Vertical Overlay

For anyone wondering why the marquee and bezel logos all say “World of Darkness”, while the game itself says “Lord of Vampires”. The Lord of Vampires was the original name as it was released in Japan. They set up a marketing arrangement with White Wolf game studios for the American arcade release, but the game itself was never updated to reflect that. So yeah, it’s confusing.

9 Likes

Gravitar 4k Vertical Overlay

8 Likes

Hi m8, have you got any hi res source art for a close up sega astro city cabinet? Thanks. Boz

Sorry, I don’t have anything like that. Not sure if @Orionsangel has it, I know he has done 1080P overlays for candy cabs.

1 Like

Karnov 4K Vertical Overlay

10 Likes

someone else I’ve seen do stuff with the candy cabs at 4K is MrRetroLust posted on the launchbox forum

sega-naomi-4k-lights-out-realistic-retroarch-bezels

1 Like