A shader for the BFI function?

BFI (black frame insertion) does what it advertises, it removes motion blur completely and makes motion as clear as in a CRT. However it also darkens the colors to the point where it’s impossible to balance them out by adjusting the monitor setting or the color parameters in most shaders.

So i was wondering if there is a shader (or if there could be one) that fixes the colors/brightness for when using BFI. Or if there’s a way to do it in general because i haven’t found anything close to it.

1 Like

I think you’re going to run into clipping pretty seriously if you try to compensate by raising brightness/contrast via shader.

You might try using one of the various image adjustment shaders to adjust the black level.

1 Like

Black level doesn’t really help, at least with the shaders i tried.

1 Like

I tried several times and failed miserably.

Among the other things, there is another fundamental limitation in current Retroarch shader implementation: shaders renders at core refresh rate, not screen one.

This means that if a core runs at 60fps, you can insert black frames at 1/30 rate at most, which is already low; let alone if cores render at 30fps…

–EDIT–
I just tried again, but that works only for lcd monitors and only takes care of part of the motion blur issue.

I think it may be possible with the Windowcast core, which can supposedly run at a different framerate than the underlying game, so you could possibly(?) do RetroArch running at, say, 180 or 240 Hz while the underlying game runs at 60 Hz, and do a rolling scan effect at the higher speed.

1 Like