Adding overlays within overlays?

Okay so I’m trying to get an overlay for the MAME game Frogs up and running. I have artwork for it and used the method:

overlays = 1

overlay0_overlay = PutNameOfBezelHere.png

overlay0_full_screen = true

overlay0_descs = 0

and that worked. But for this particular game the artwork comes with 3 different png’s that are all suppose to work together, the background image (called “frogs backdrop.png”) where the game’s sprites play on and two tree images, (one that goes on the left side of the background image (called tree_left.png) and one that goes on the right (called tree_right.png). I can get just the background image to display but how do I add in the two trees? Here’s an example of how it looks with just the background and how I managed to get it to look:

And here’s how it’s suppose to look with the two trees included

I tried configuring the cfg file but I don’t think it’s anywhere close to what it’s suppose to be here:

overlays = 3

overlay0_overlay = frogs.png

overlay0_descs = 0

overlay1_overlay = frogs_tree_left.png

overlay1_full_screen = false

overlay1_rect = "0.0,0.0,0.0,1.1

overlay2_overlay = frogs_tree_right.png

overlay2_full_screen = false

overlay2_rect = "0.0,0.0,0.1,0.0

but I don’t think that cfg config is anywhere how it’s suppose to look and on top of that the overlay won’t even display anymore after using that configuration. Not sure exactly how to which lines I’m suppose to put into the cfg file.

Strictly speaking the overlay feature is not designed to allow multiple images in that way. It’s probably best to use the MAME artwork structure to do it or combining the images with a photo editor

This thread should cover your question on overlays

You could get them to show up as 3 distinct images at the same time by treating them as button images but it would be a pointless hassle compared with just compositing them into a single image that looks like it’s supposed to in Photoshop or GIMP or whatever.

Okay so I managed my first GIMP editing experience and I think it came out pretty good.

Only thing I need to figure out now is how to get the game’s sprites to display solid over the background image instead of having that transparent look.

1 Like

Nice, Overlays will always render on top of the games screen afaik

You can define it as Backdrop so it will be drawn first (behind all other elements):

http://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/LAY_File_Basics_-_Part_I

I’m assuming this method applies to cfg files as well? As that’s the kind of file I’m using. I have the cfg configured the same as in my first post as

overlays = 1

overlay0_overlay = PutNameOfBezelHere.png

overlay0_descs = 0

If I assume I have to add in more lines from that Lay file link do I just copy the format there and add it in the next line within the cfg?

Oh and thatman84 you can expect to get a copy of that along with a bunch of others real soon, I’m gonna surprise everyone both here and on the Hyperspin forums after I get done with what I told you about the other day.

RetroArch doesn’t have any mechanism for backdrops. That’s only for MAME’s border stuff, which functions differently than ours.

It’s all good, a little transparency never hurt anyone. I’m just glad I managed to get the background properly up and stationed and that’s more than good enough. Thank you in any case.