Android Nightly discussion thread

Latest 5/9 nightly runs okay on FireTV,but analog and more importantly the settings button are botched again. I had to annoyingly enable retropad overlay again just to access the RGUI menu. I can navigate just fine though.

Now,for the reason I came here,cheats are still not letting me input them. It just says input cheat with nothing else,and I can’t type it in. Since the mupen64plus core does not freeze on Mario and the Magic Wand in course 5 via Glide64,I thought of trying some of my more unstable Banjo-Tooie codes like “Split Up Anywhere” to see if they didn’t freeze the game like AE does.

Edit: Found out the new onscreen keyboard setting,and added a cheat.

Edit: My input and other settings would not save at first,but eventually stopped being retarded and finally saved the damn thing!

Do you think there is a way to make the config directory deterministic to the Android version? Such as setting it to /sdcard/Android/data/com.retroarch for JellyBean and older,and using the default /data/data/com.retroarch for KitKat and newer since they have sdcard write access issues.

Edit2: The cheat I entered on the mupen64plus core is not working for some reason. It is my “no frameskip” code (8007913f 0001) to make Banjo-Tooie run at 60fps,what gives? It is a code that works immediately on all other emulators. Must be something else not implemented in there,do I have to not add a space? Please try to fix the cheat functionality since it now lets me add them. Thanks by the way.

There probably needs to be a fix for multi-lined codes so it works better and supports N64 codes with button activators.

Other keyboard overlays keep killing RetroArch on FireTV. Also,I don’t have damn multi-touch so I can’t utilize shift to access the : key to try genesis pro action replay codes. I also can’t get it to capitalize letters so it could recognize those,Game Genie,and N64 codes.

When will cheats ever actually work? :frowning:

I am trying SO HARD to keep my cool. I grabbed a .cht file for Sonic The Hedgehog and went back then started the game. Then I went to the cheats menu and selected “load” and navigated to the file.

My problem is that it doesn’t let me select it. I am mashing the D key (mapped to A) and then Retropad’s A button but it doesn’t F***ING select it! The biggest issue is that I have been putting in the name the whole time,and I am unable to enter the cheat because the dialog closes after hitting enter on the onscreen keyboard with only the damn name typed,and no way to enter the actual cheat!

I have two pressing questions.

First:

With the latest nightly of retroarch, I get an undefeatable image smoothing - even if biliniear filtering is set to off (from the ingame menu, and/or via an edited cfg). this was NOT the case in RetroArch-armv7-v1.0.0.2-r34 , where the image would turn out very crisp, once bilinear filtering was disabled.

Have you experienced this behavior, and if not, what nightly are you using? I want to disable image smoothing so badly…

edit: Hold all horses, it suddenly worked. :slight_smile: I just edited the default retroarch.cfg - and pushed it back on the android system. And on my second load up of retroarch (reboot the device, might be the more accurate advice… :wink: ), the “no smoothing” setting took effect. :slight_smile: Love it. :slight_smile:

Second: With the current nightly, auto select cores does not work. What was the latest nightly where this was not broken? if you dont know, but are using a nightly and are not experiencing this issue, again, what nightly are you using, because I would like for this to work just as badly. :slight_smile:

Also - just as a report on strange behavior, on the current nightly, after loading in a cfg via the “in game Retroarch options menu”, I can not start any rom anymore. The Rom will start up for one second (white screen) and then crash back to the Retroarch Android menu.

harlekin, to turn off bilinear filtering in nighties set it to ‘Point Filtering’ in Video Setings then choose ‘Apply Shader Changes’ in Options-Shader Options.

@bl@ck_m@ge: Thanks! Much more convenient than my previous workaround of entering the ingame options, changing a setting, then adb pushing a modified retroarch.cfg with smoothing false at that very time window, to overwrite the config, and to trick the emulator into not overwriting the config again once you exit to the main menu. :wink:

Detect core is broken for everyone? Or am I missing something?

Thank you for the information. :slight_smile:

I just installed the latest nightly, 2015-05-12_RetroArch.apk, and retroarch no longer recognizes my gamepad. The autoconfig file (GS_gamepad.cfg) is still there on github and on my phone, but retroarch isnt even seeing my controller for me to map the buttons out manually. What else can I do to troubleshoot?

Istalled 2015-05-15 yesterday and I can confirm that it’s fixed. No matter if touch enabled or not, controls work fine now. PCSX ReARMed still crashes if I load content from rgui. Last stable nightly build for me is 2015-04-26.

I can confirm that the Ipega 9023 bug is gone, now B button does not exit RA. Thanks!!

Sort of a strange bug to report, but in the latest dev of the Mupen64plus core, when you play Star Fox, the secondary boss on the first level is invincible. Nothing will destroy him. Running on my Nvidia Shield Tablet.

Good News !!!

Hi, I’m testing RA last nightly in an ARCHOS GAMEPAD, RA recognized the buttons with autoconfig, but, it only recognizes the buttons and D-pad, no the analog stick, I did try manual config but RA didn’t recognized the analog.

I did use KeyTest app and it recognized the left analog as D-pad (number 19) but the deviceId is diferent 2 for the analog and 3 for D-Pad

With other emulators like Nes.emu, PPSSPP, and others D-PAD and Analog stick works fine.

is there a fix for this?

I’ve noticed that a lot of the recent changes to the Mupen64plus core has not been compiled to the nightly Android builds. I’d like to test some of the recent changes if possible.

1. Where can I download gw_libretro for Anadroid ?
  2. GBA sav/srm files are not working…?

Is there a new build? The newest I see is from 5/28.

There’s been a dumb issue with cheats that’s breaking the nightly Android builds. It’s a known issue but not resolved yet.

I recently got a Shield TV and the BSNES cores run full speed even with special chip games like Mario RPG and Yoshi’s Island. Pretty awesome. Desmume is still a bit slow though on fully 3d games.

wow, that’s awesome. Performance core? What about balanced?

Here’s a quick video I made of Yoshi’s Island running the Bsnes Performance Core on the Nvidia TV at 60 FPS video record with my HTC One M8. The game was not this fast on my K1 tablet with this core. :smiley: The other special chip games I’ve tried all run without performance issues as well.

I have some GLUI weird issues, sometimes the menu letters looks a little distorted in my ARCHOS GAMEPAD, I replicate this issue in my OUYA and my JXD7800b, by the moment I only use RGUI menu driver.