Android Nightly discussion thread

I’ve been having some problems loading the Mednafen PCengine cores. I have the bios files setup and the core information says it’s there, but whenever a game loads, the application crashes back to the android gui. The games have iso + wave files with a cue. I’ve checked to make sure the cue file matches the filenames of the bin and wave files. Is this a known issue?

As I said on the other thread, I cannot get any of my bluetooth controllers to work with latest nightly build on Lollipop 5.1.1. I can only use on-screen layout to enter setup screen and play games. Also why are you abandoning the Android GUI? RGUI is really not comfortable with small screens, almost everything is unreadable and screwed up, and the previous History feature was really nice to quickly start a game without having to go through RGUI. I know you’re making a great work but it would be nice if it were more user-friendly.

Oh, and is there a way to have the cores have their own names, systems & stuff back? It’s really ugly to have the core file name with no description.

The 2nd thread you link to hints at most likely what’s going wrong since I suspect it’s the same thing happening to you as Rhubee is finding - one of the vendor or product id lookup is failing for some reason. That lookup is only done on Android versions starting with KitKat (4.4), since that’s when Google added the methods to query for them. Rhubee’s solution is very close to what’s probably the best way of working around this given that these ID’s aren’t even currently used in doing gamepad detection further downstream in the RA Android input code…

Well guess what, they ARE working after all… In fact, after creating an autoconfig for each gamepad all buttons work for both gamepads but the D-pad and the analog sticks! Sorry guys, I’ll go back to the other thread for that.

Just a quick question: it looks like now it isn’t detecting anymore the BIOS for PCSX ReARMed in the ROM directory. Did something change since the 1.0.0.2? Should I put the BIOS elsewhere (even for the other emulators)?

1 Like

A few remarks based on my experience with nightly build from June 23th:

• The need to go fetch my cfg file each time I reload the RGUI is really annoying, I really hope you will fix this issue soon.
  • For some strange reason, PCSX ReARMed core isn’t loading the auto savestate (I copied all previous states into the savestates folder), but I can load the manual savestates normally. Other cores like Mednafen Wonderswan correctly load the autostate.
  • PCSX ReARMed core keeps telling me “BIOS not found, expect bugs” at each boot. BIOS is located in the ROM folder.
  • Another thing that bothers me is that in the core settings -> input remap menu you can only choose among a limited set of buttons from the RetroPad. I’d like to be able for instance to map the WonderSwan 2nd D-Pad to my right analog stick, but it only allows me to map it to the L/R triggers. I can’t figure out how to change it by editing the .rmp since analog sticks aren’t in it.
  • I can’t find any option to reduce the font size in the RGUI menu. I know it’s for comfort sake, but many menus like those including file paths or gamepad buttons are impossible to read on my Galaxy S2 screen, and I think many people will experience the same with other devices.

-On my device running Lollipop, I have not had any issues with RGUI not saving configs. I am able to change configs and save them by exiting and restarting Retroarch. -For the BIOS not found" error, have you changed the path variable in settings? by default Retroarch checks for BIOS files in the System directory (located at /data/data/com.retroarch/system).

For the issue with Lollipop product ID lookup, I’m going off what googer and rhubee mentioned and (if no one’s made any fixes by then) I should have a pull request in the next couple days or so that might fix it.

1 Like

I’m able to save them too and all changes made are there when I load it back again, but the load process is still manual.

Also another thing: since I’m a physical gamepad user and all I need is quick save/load state features, I always used the immerse overlay with Retroarch; but since now everything is done through the RGUI, that means that if by chance I’m not able to use my BT controller anymore and my config is loaded in I will be stuck forever in the RGUI menu. This couldn’t happen when there was a proper Android interface. Any idea to fix that, like by enabling to switch the overlay to RetroPad on the fly through the back/menu button of the device?

Which of the many paths should I change? My BIOS are actually found in the ROM directories for each system since RA would’ve fetched them there. Is there any way to have it behave like before?

If you’re in the RGUI menu, you can change overlays from there.

Retroarch has by default always poked at the directory I mentioned first for the BIOS files. Loading the BIOS from the same directory as the ROM is an optional setting in the (now deprecated) Android interface, and it hasn’t been implemented within retroarch itself as far as I can tell. BUT I agree that would simplify setting up cores that need them. I used to take advantage of that feature.

I don’t have an actual fix for that, since Im just a student dev studying this in his spare time, and am in no way actually involved in Retroarch beyond being an enthusiast. Unless/until someone more experienced with the source chimes in here, the best option would be to put all your BIOS files in a folder, then in Frontend settings >> Directory Settings, change the “System Dir” path to wherever your folder is.

Sorry gamerminstrel, it was meant to be a note for the developers, not for you. Guess I’ll stick to copying all BIOS to the system directory for now.

Hi everybody. I found an error in the android build 2015-06-29. When I set the core keys in Quick Menu>Core Input Remapping options and I select “Save Core Remap File”, It show me an error, “Error saving remap file” Somebody can help me? Thanks in advance

I understand… a little. What or where is the remap folder in retroarch? I created one in /data/data/com.retroarch and doesn’t work.

Last night RA had my phone rebooted and stuck in a bootloop. When I got it to boot again and after some app optimizing & stuff all RA data were wiped out and the app had me extract all assets again. (Here’s a good reason WHY you wouldn’t want to have save states and bios files in RA directory) On a good note, PCSX ReARMed seems to auto load states once again with latest build.

Two more remarks:

• MAME 2015 makes RA crash every time on my device
  • MAME 2003 doesn’t seem to save my custom remapping inside the emulator and shows graphical glitches after savestate is loaded. Is it the normal behaviour?

Starting with the 7/3 nightlies, I find I can’t reopen RetroArch’s menu after loading and starting a game, at least on my nVidia Shield TV (only device I’ve tried on so far). Reverting back to 7/2 (or earlier) and it’s fine so obviously something changed to cause this. :stuck_out_tongue:

Back button for toggling the menu most of the time doesn’t work,

Also if I map the hot key toggle button to a gamepad button it works but it doesn’t save info configuration,

so next time it is gone…

mapping select & start is saved !!!

Same experience, same fix - thanks for the pointer! (I’ve read random Internet rumor that today’s nightly fixed this, but I’m not brave enough to try it. :wink:

Rodney

Thanks for removing that first menu. It didn’t work. Much better that way. Can’t wait for the combos you’re talking about. Best app on android! Okay ignore and get back to what you were doing. :slight_smile:

Thanks. I just updated but the Shield controller on the Shield tv is not working at all.

Edit: That’s not a sarcastic thanks btw. Lol. =)

Autoconfig / detection of my Shield TV’s controller doesn’t work with the 7/10 nightly, making it impossible to do anything at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Relevant info from logcat regarding my controller:

I/RetroArch( 4862): device name: NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA Controller v01.03 I/RetroArch( 4862): device vendor id: 2389 I/RetroArch( 4862): device product id: 29200 I/RetroArch( 4862): Port 0: NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA Controller v01.03.

Edit:

I changed Nvidia_Shield.cfg to use name “NVIDIA Corporation” (instead of “NVIDIA Controller”) and autoconfig is now fine. Of course if the scoring system is working across the board (meaning for including Android) then we should go back and add the VID / PID’s to the Android autoconfigs as well. :slight_smile:

Just tested the new version and it works great using GS5 + Snes BT (8bitdo),

Both combo keys & hot key are working and I was able to save and it “sticks” for the next time…

How can I delete unused cores ? I can only update cores but can’t delete them…

Thanks for this great new version !!!