Any way to have retropie-ish theme instead of ps3ish?

I like the looks of this https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/themes

over the ps3 style of lakka. Any way to implement something like this or is the ps3 style the only one? From what I understand lakka is openelec, which at its core is Kodi, which does have the ability to change skins. The retropie themes do look an awful lot like Kodi too. Anyway to make this happen?

You can have some themes and dynamic wallpapers on Lakka.

openelec (and thus lakka) is not based on kodi. it’s just a very stripped-down linux that suits our purposes for a boot-straight-into-retroarch distro.

That said, if you go to settings > menu and enable dynamic wallpapers, disable the ribbon shader and turn on boxart/thumbnails, you end up with something fairly similar to EmulationStation’s design.

[QUOTE=hunterk;48991]openelec (and thus lakka) is not based on kodi. it’s just a very stripped-down linux that suits our purposes for a boot-straight-into-retroarch distro.

That said, if you go to settings > menu and enable dynamic wallpapers, disable the ribbon shader and turn on boxart/thumbnails, you end up with something fairly similar to EmulationStation’s design.[/QUOTE]

right, but for the most part, itll still have the ps3 style of navigation? As in just the icons across the top, and then the rom files under each section?

Either way, Im sticking with Lakka as AFAIK its the only one I can boot from USB on a PC and works (mostly) out of the box. Itd be nice to change the GUI if possible, but I understand if it cant. Ill play with dynamic wallpapers. I already have boxart/thumbnails on.

[QUOTE=hunterk;48991]openelec (and thus lakka) is not based on kodi. it’s just a very stripped-down linux that suits our purposes for a boot-straight-into-retroarch distro.

That said, if you go to settings > menu and enable dynamic wallpapers, disable the ribbon shader and turn on boxart/thumbnails, you end up with something fairly similar to EmulationStation’s design.[/QUOTE]

I’m going to give this a whirl on my Odroid XU4 unit.

You can give a try to recalbox which is using emulationstation frontend.

That’s a good idea actually. Recalbox is my personal favorite, followed closely by Lakka. It’s actually a toss up between the two (been playing Lakka more lately I’ve found, because it’s more flexible across more hardware and not just limited to Raspberry Pi).

We can also recreate the interface of EmulationStation as a menu driver in RetroArch. I guess a lot of users would love it. It may not be so difficult.

4 Likes

Is there any type of documentation for writing a menĂş Driver? Im not a programmer but an graphic designer interested on learning.

Unfortunately, all of our menus are written in C, so being able to program in C is a prerequisite.

Yes i would greatly love that. please makes this happen. batocera does not support all hardware and when trying to change settings it’s not user frendly.

I will do that when I have time. bparker just added an important piece in retroarch to make this possible. We’ll also need background music and sound effects in the menu.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to sound like a pain in the @$$, but me personally…

http://attractmode.org/

They even created an image with just Retroarch + AM with the RPi3 (no Retropie/Raspbian OS underneath). SO much better than EmulationStation. :smiley: But I do have to admit, that’s askinig a LOT (and frankly from programmer’s perspective, wouldn’t blame you if you said no LOL).

I think arractmode is too overblown. Personally I think Tronkyfan is the ideal theme for Retropie.

Something like this, perhaps?

2 Likes

I’m no expert so maybe I’m asking about something that is impractical, but I know there are libraries like LuaJIT that can be easily incorporated into C / C ++ programs and allow to run scripts in Lua language, which is high-level and easy to learn. Do you think that it would be possible to rewrite part of the interface manager to make it “scriptable” ?

I’d love to try my hand at UI creation for Retroarch/Lakka.

I’ve been thinking about adding Lua in RA to code menus. Now that we have the menu_display abstraction, it would be possible to have a Lua based menu driver. However, I doubt Lua will make it in RA.

3 Likes