Arcade Overlays

Go play Barrier on MAME and you will see much better defined vectors, possibly aliased as well - to avoid the stepping seen in Retroarch. And they have a really nice vector glow about them, much nicer than the Halation and Diffusion effects in Retroarch. I believe IF someone could port MAME’s vector HLSL then we would see a similar quality in Retroarch.

hunterk, thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I don’t have the tools to do my own compiling.

satoso, In Photoshop, to create the scratches, smudges, or glare effects, just create a new raster layer with your own Opacity values (60%, 50%, 45% all look good - don’t go too high or you won’t be able to see the emulated image through your overlay) and use the “Screen” effect on that layer to only show scratches, not the background.

Thanks Jhon :slight_smile: I’ll try … I’m sorry but my English is bad … :frowning: I wanted to ask how do you put the image that you see inside the JVC TV like I was in a room? You’ll make a video tutorial on creating overlays in order to make things easier and so that many people can collaborate to design ?? Thank you you’re super! :slight_smile:

most of the jagginess in vector games in RetroArch has to do with a single MAME setting that sets the internal resolution for those lines. Unfortunately, cranking that value up causes crashes (at least in mame2003, where i think only one person has tried it) and we don’t know why yet, though admittedly, I don’t think anyone has spent much time on it.

Thanks for making the Simpsons one! Looking forward to more from you :slight_smile:

I actually have another request one for a non arcade machine. The Dreamcast maybe using this? http://www.videogamemuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Dreamcast-Kiosk-1.jpg

Examples of these great arcade bezels running on a Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

Dear all, how to make artwork enabled in lr-mame2003 with retroarch (Retropie 3.8 on Raspberry Pi 3) or something else? Hope you could help me. Thanks a lot!

Hi @floob, how to make artwork enabled in lr-mame2003 with retroarch (Retropie 3.8 on Raspberry Pi 3) like your video? Hope you could help me with step-by-step instruction. Thanks a lot!

@tien_huu_1408 You create a per rom configuration file, this includes the resolution/aspect ratio to play the game in, as well as setting the shaders and overlays used. I’m in the process of converting all of the configs John.Merrit has provided for RetroPie (although the principle will work for any retroarch setup really), and I will most likely add them to my video tool here:

Could you create for me some of my favourite games? SNES (lr-snes-next) games (lr-snes9x-next), PSX games (lr-pcxarmed) and MAME games (lr-mame2003)

1/ Dragon Ball Z - Chou Saiyan Densetsu (Dragon Ball Z - Super Legend of the Saiyans) (SFC game) 2/ Samurai Shodown series from 1 to 5 special (MAME/Arcade) 3/ Kabuki Klash (MAME/Arcade) 4/ Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushido Retsuden (Samurai Spirits RPG) (Neogeo CD) 5/ Yugi Oh! - Forbidden Memories (PSX) 6/ Chocobo Racing (PSX)

Asume that I’ve played on 1080i TV with ratio 4:3 (or core ratio (SNES 8:7)) with Retropie 3.8 within Retroarch.

Thanks a lot. Hope to hear good news from you asap.

John, These are really cool man, thanks for putting them together!

Here are the overlays used on a Pi, with install guide:

1 Like

[QUOTE=floob;41277]Here are the overlays used on a Pi, with install guide:

Thanks a lot! Great man!
1 Like

great video, thanks Floob!

Any Linux users having trouble with these? I was, some globbing was required before installing them:

$ 7za x John\ Merrit\ Overlays\ Full.7z

$ mv Retroarch/overlays Retroarch/overlay

$ dos2unix Retroarch/config/mame/*.cfg Retroarch/shaders/*.cgp Retroarch/overlay/borders/*.cfg

$ sed -i -e 's/\\/\//g' -e 's/:/~\/.config\/retroarch/g' -e 's/mame_libretro.dll/mame2003_libretro.so/g' -e 's/overlays/overlay/g' Retroarch/config/mame/*.cfg Retroarch/shaders/*.cgp

$ cp -Rp Retroarch/* ~/.config/retroarch

Note I’m using MAME 2003 here because the current MAME core runs like crap with those shaders for some reason.

[QUOTE=floob;41277]Here are the overlays used on a Pi, with install guide:

Dear sir, in your video, could it be applied to my TV 1080i? I don’t see any option in choice menu. Could you add 1080i? Thanks a lot!

1 Like

@floob: Why did MAME game just load the overlays of the previous last one, not the current playing game? I should change overlays by using RGUI to select again.

How about ratio? Always 3:4, it seems my game does not fit border, I should adjust custom by hand. It is not convenience. Hope you could help me.

How could Retroarch load game configs and overlay presets corresponding with this game automatically?

Noted that I am using Retropie 3.8.

Thanks a lot!

@tien_huu_1408 - The overlays are only geared for 1920x1080 resolution, other res will probably cause layout issues. Each game should load the overlays automatically as long as they have the corresponding .cfg file

[QUOTE=floob;41720]@tien_huu_1408 - The overlays are only geared for 1920x1080 resolution, other res will probably cause layout issues. Each game should load the overlays automatically as long as they have the corresponding .cfg file[/QUOTE]

I have solved problem. Thanks for your support, @floob

These are AMAZING! thank you!!!

Some requests: Food Fight (Atari) Kick-Man (or Kick) (Midway) Super Pac-Man (Midway) Tempest (Atari) Millipede (Atari)

Tempest and Millipede don’t really have a bezel so maybe the generic would be best there… Not sure if the edge of the cabinets could be incorporated?

Thanks in advance!