Arcade Overlays

>>>>Thank you john for looking in on it. I’m a sucker for old tv’s.

This is the last one I’m doing for this overlay. I’m not really liking this one too much as the resolution and definition is too low and grainy.

>>>>The settings you posted are they specifically for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis?

They’re just to get anyone started quickly, without needing to do any config tweaking/editing.

Just a quick test for v3 Vintage TV.

1 Like

Thank you! Won’t bug you anymore with that overlay. Looks great now :slight_smile:

What settings would you recommend even if you dont the like the image too much?

V3 Vintage looks very authentic!

Here is something i have been thinking about for quite some time now. Its a request if you would like to do it.

How about a full overlay for Vectrex using lr-mess or lr-vecx.

There are a couple of Arcade version and the home console versions/clones

I think the best would be to integrate the Inlay with the overlay to get the right feeling of sitting down with the real thing.

These are the sites that have artwork and more pictures that i could find.

http://www.vectrex.co.uk/ http://vectrexmuseum.com/news/ http://computer-classics.de/cah_blog2/test-resource-post/vectrex/ (A few hq scans) http://computermuseum.50megs.com/brands/vectrex.htm

Here is a thread on RetroPie forum about the Overlays that are done. https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2638/vectrex-overlay-artwork

Vectrex is tough because of the alpha channel. If you mask off the TV only, then you will get two different parts of the overlay. One part with lower opacity and brightness, while the other is normal. My only thought is to make the whole overlay a alpha channel and use the in-built overlay opacity to 60-70%, resulting in this.

That is just a test, but not bad. You would then need a overlay per-game. Just got to get the position of the emulated image in the correct place.

Bit better now. Vectors now get coloured by the overlay. Image is now in the correct position, the fuel line has to line-up with the very bottom overlay line. Changed shader, bit duller but better defined vectors.

2 Likes

Omg! These look so good!

This is exactly what i was thinking. They even look better then i imagined.

An overlay per game yes but i think there where only 23 Official games made. I don’t know about the homebrew but they should also have an overlay.

They look better fullscreen and in motion. The resize doesn’t do them any justice.

Pole Position. Just wish Retroarch had dedicated vector shaders like MAME. Will upload a test overlay a bit later.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

[I][B]Great! John you have the parameters to use with mame with the overlay Arcade Generic Horizontal?

custom_viewport_width, custom_viewport_height, custom_viewport, custom_viewport_y

Thank you![/B][/I]

@John.Merrit any news on the “v3 Vintage TV”` ?

Also a quick question about a few generic overlays like @satso mentioned

Final_Arcade_Generic_4x3 Final_Arcade_NeoGeo_Horizontal

Same here about what to use for these overlays?

custom_viewport_width custom_viewport_height custom_viewport custom_viewport_y

Thank you

Hi John!!! Could you create an overlay 80 years like this photo of the spot of the new mini nes?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

John does great work, obviously, but you guys should try making some yourselves instead of just requesting.

1 Like

Oh how i wished i could do what John does. Sadly my artistic nature is beyond rubbish.

I have great respect for what he does and gracefully appreciate everything he creates.

But you’re right about the request. I for one can get a little bit to excited.

[B]you’re right I’m trying but I now only outputs that do not satisfy me …

like this, :wink:

Maybe one day I can do something nice …

and I will share it with you !!! :slight_smile:

[/B]

that’s looking good so far! Good work :slight_smile:

thank you :slight_smile: I will try to improve, much difficulty meeting to do a good job … My guru’s Jhon

Wow Thanks these are awesome

edit: link are down :frowning:

I will try to update the links as soon as possible. This is the problem when you use free storage space, the links will eventually expire. Meantime, if anyone has them and access to storage space then please post some links as a temporary solution, thanks.

I am currently working with MameUI, mostly because the shaders have come a long way since I last used it, and am working on MAME-only overlays.

[QUOTE=John.Merrit;51717]I will try to update the links as soon as possible. This is the problem when you use free storage space, the links will eventually expire. Meantime, if anyone has them and access to storage space then please post some links as a temporary solution, thanks.

I am currently working with MameUI, mostly because the shaders have come a long way since I last used it, and am working on MAME-only overlays.[/QUOTE]

Will this mean that we are not going to see any updates to your overlays for Retroarch anytime soon? I still looking forward to any updates on Vetrex and your latest Tv overlay that you posted a image of…

Holding my breathe hehe :wink:

[QUOTE=John.Merrit;51717]I will try to update the links as soon as possible. This is the problem when you use free storage space, the links will eventually expire. Meantime, if anyone has them and access to storage space then please post some links as a temporary solution, thanks.

I am currently working with MameUI, mostly because the shaders have come a long way since I last used it, and am working on MAME-only overlays.[/QUOTE]

These are by far the best overlays I have ever seen and the links are down before I get a chance to try them out :frowning: I hope some can get some links back up.

Out of curiosity why not just create a torrent and post magnet links? That way its free and doesn’t rely on file hosting sites…

My main PC, with all my files on, is in pieces for the moment. I was intending the parts to make up a media centre PC but the case I have is too small, so I am left typing this out on a miniature Alienware PC. If I had remembered to put the files on removable media then I would have them at this very moment and would upload them. Sadly, you don’t think of these things until it’s too late.

And, for a torrent to work I would have to seed until there are enough seeders to keep the torrent alive. Problem with that is I just don’t have the time to keep my PC on 24/7. And things can get quite messy if I do many updates and there are then suddenly multiple torrents floating around and noone knows which is the latest and which is the oldest. And every time I do updates I then also have to seed them.