Are there any CRT shaders made to take advantage of 8K TVs yet?

When HDMI 2.1 makes its video card debut, I’d like to take advantage of it and display Retroarch on a 8K QLED TV @ 120hz w/black frame insertion. (or at least just 60hz)

Basically, I’m wondering if it would be worth it to go 8K QLED instead of 4K OLED ($)

1 Like

Royale and guest/-dr-venom both (among some others) scale to 8K nicely. However, 8K isn’t really necessary, exactly, except for shadowslotmask simulation. Aperture grille and slot shadow/dot mask are fine at 4K.

4 Likes

I think you meant to say “aperture grille and dotmask are fine at 4K”

Slotmask needs 8K for a realistic result.

2 Likes

Just keep in mind that slotmask is around a 75% reduction in brightness (maxed out), BFI is a 50% reduction and scanlines another 50%. You need about 1600 nits to do it all, and not even the QLEDs can do that. On top of that, the special coating added to many of the Samsung QLEDs to help with off-angle viewing essentially washes out the subpixels, making it impossible to get accurate phosphor emulation (with the emulated phosphors displaying accurate RGB intensity values).

If you’re going for brightness, QLED is still your best bet, though.

1 Like

for me yes the 4k is enough I don’t even use the rec709 at full contrast just 70 to 80… with the bfi… my oled is the panasonic ez950 1000 nits… then if i force the hdr to retroarch??? i will have to be at 30 in contrast…no need for 10000nits… anyone can see it on my videos… users with a lcd4k tv not oled, not qled, confirmed me that everything is in its place no need to be at the maximum of rec709 and even less in hdr… see you soon

read video description for correct viewing. bfi on / my shader compensates for loss of brightness 70=contrast and brightness= 70 normal color mode, color = 50 rec2020 panasonic oled4k hdr tv range retroarch standard mode rec 709

FINAL FANTASY7 PSX BETTLE HW CUSTOM SHADER SONY TRINITRON FOR OLED4K WIP

ALUNDRA PSX ON OLED 4K WITH RETROARCH AND CUSTOM SHADER CRT

RETROGAMING WITH RETROARCH ON 4k OLED TV ( custom wip shader)