4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

Not sure this worked out as well as I’d hoped as a bezel, but here is a Marvel vs. Capcom bezel designed off the arcade marquee theme:

Update: I’ve added a blue variation that might work better as a bezel for this game’s colors:

5 Likes

Alien Syndrome

6 Likes

Just thought I’d share my personal setup. I’m using an Xtension sit down cabinet and control panel from RecRoomMasters with a 40" 4K Samsung TV, PC and Razer soundbar with a subwoofer in the cabinet for the audio.

I’m really happy with the quality of the cabinet and it was very easy to put together so I would definitely recommend for anyone interested in this kind of setup. I prefer this over the standup cabs as it’s just more comfortable to play on for longer sessions.

When playing this close on a large screen like this screen at 4K, the visible screen is still around 25 inches and it really feels like you are looking at an actual arcade cabinet.

9 Likes

Gunforce

5 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with vertical MAME layouts and have decided to get a vertical cabinet as well. I’ll be working out my own template for this and will distribute my bezels in both horizontal and vertical formats going forward. Here is a prototype based on the VCabinet layout at vcabinet.es.

7 Likes

That’s pretty awesome with the marquee and everything

1 Like

Yeah, and for whatever reason the screen shots don’t do it justice, in person it looks much more realistic.

6 Likes

Did you purchase the Xtension vertical cab?

Yep, ordered it last night, the 40" pedestal model

1 Like

Made a variation for Mars Matrix that is themed off the arcade marquee:

3 Likes

These look fantastic! You’re really making them pop with the Shadows and contrast! I love the combination of the old graphics but presented cleanly around the borders!

I’m curious, what shader are you using for the crt?

1 Like

wow the vertical one looks even better, nice retro vibes :star_struck:

1 Like

Thanks! I’m using crt-easymode-halation with some tweaked settings. I have a couple variations that I use for different games.

You can see them here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3vqajroyxjyznka/AADTOwg0XigrVXxB5ZkSZ35ka?dl=0

There are some hardcoded directories in there so you would have to update those to your system. But you can see all the settings there.

2 Likes

Hi @ArsInvictus I wanted to invite you to check out the bezel reflection shader I’m working on if you are interested, it’s still a work in progress, but since you do such awesome work with bezels I thought you might have some suggestions on what you would want in such a shader, since it handles the screen scaling, adding in the bezel, then applying the reflections on top.

I’m also working on getting the inner bezel auto generated, since I find that making the inner edge of the bezel image fit the curvature exactly quite irritating

It’s here:

If it’s not your cup of tea though, that’s totally cool too :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks @HyperspaceMadness. That is pretty incredible looking! Thanks for reaching out.

Yeah, I think the autogeneration of the bezel would be best, just make the size configurable if possible. One thing that concerns me, for the overlays I’m producing, is the amount of usable screen real estate since a lot gets eaten up by the bezel artwork. Lately I’ve often been reducing the screen bezel to just a small slice of black border to maximize that playable area.

For something as cool as those reflections in your shader though, I could see giving up some screen space. :slight_smile:

As for shaders generally, the reason I’ve personally settled on easymode is that it handles different (and lower res) screen sizes very well, without the strange scaling artifacts that seem to pop up in most of the other shaders. I also just like easymode’s shadow mask options and softer scanlines.

I’ll give your shader a try in the next few days and let you know what other feedback I might have.

2 Likes

That’s awesome for vertical screen users!

1 Like

Here is a portrait mode overlay for Mushihimesama, I created a variation with just the marquee for people with smaller monitors to maximize screen size.

On the off chance someone out there runs portrait mode and wants to use this, these are both out there on dropbox in the retroarch folder for now, I’ll probably do the MAME config when I get the new cabinet.

6 Likes

I dig that version with the marquee. it maximizes the screen size and reminds me of those 29" candy cabs.

1 Like

Gunforce for vertical monitors:

Full bezel:

Large monitor:

3 Likes

Yeah, it feels too big for a 40" monitor to me, but for people with smaller monitors it’s probably more enjoyable to have a larger screen like that. I’ll try to keep offering both options on these vertical overlays.

2 Likes