4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

Updated Solar Warrior overlay with CPO

For this one there was no scan of the CPO available so I recreated it in vector format from reference images. It’s not an exact copy, but it’s a good representation.

Thanks to @PapaShine for the 3d render and his hints in helping me learn Adobe Illustrator!

This was another @HyperspaceMadness request as well.

I’ve got two versions out there, the default has a cropped bezel and larger screen area, but there is a full bezel version for purists:

Default:

Full bezel:

8 Likes

Oh Man this rocks, thanks! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Wow! Vibe city. Thanks, guys! I love this one. What a looker. :grin:

4 Likes

@ArsInvictus: amazing job thx a lot have a question or more like observation In NeoGeo control panel isnt it cut a little bit form right side (blue button).

Is all your future bezels will have control panel this idea is so amazing that i started to think about joining vertical familly ;p Need to tell my wife :wink:

Can You share some information about tv you using how its mounted on vesa to wall ?

3 Likes

Hey @BlackTiger, good to hear you are looking into a vertical cab setup! I myself am using a RecRoomMasters 40" vertical pedestal cabinet, though I don’t know if they are continuing to offer it. They do have some smaller models available, but I feel they are too small for this format.

We have a web site that @Thoggo has been putting a lot of work into, and he’s got a page there with some different options: https://www.verticalarcade.com/resources.

I think for a custom build, the vCabinet designs are pretty nice and they offer both wall mounted and floor standing plans.

For the Neo Geo overlay, that clipping is by design. The top of the CP is placed with the edges aligned to the edge of the screen, so the left and right are clipped due to the perspective. This is a concession we felt was necessary to make the CPO feel “right” to the viewer. But the CP is centered properly, the button getting clipped is just incidental.

Hope this helps!

Here is a shot of my cab setup. I still have an older RRM horizontal sit down cab, but I’m probably going to sell it, as I haven’t really used it since I got the vertical.

8 Likes

Team Thread Announcement, New Dropbox Setup AND Karnov 4K Overlay

I’ve renamed this thread as we’ve got a group of us (@PapaShine, @Briball, @Thoggo and myself) working closely together as a team on these overlays and it will simplify things if we can reduce our posts to a single location.

Additionally, we will be posting both standard MAME and Retroarch copies for the overlays going forward, starting with Karnov. Over time, I’ll go back over the existing overlays and create MAME lay versions for them as well.

Soon these files will be available for download on a new web site we are putting together which will have a lot of features for navigating all the available overlays. You can see the beta version of it at: verticalarcade.com.

For the time being, for my own files, I’ve set up a new structure on my dropbox that is cleaner and hopefully simpler to navigate. I’ll also be including config files for the Retroarch versions with preset screen coordinates.

I’ve also got a venom-guest-crt shader configuration file with the parameters I’m using for my own setup in case anyone wants to use it. It’s configured to match the screen bezel I’ll be using going forward as well. I love @HyperspaceMadness’s shader, but we want to start publishing these for the least common denominator hardware, so these could be used on a Raspberry Pi setup etc.

The new dropbox folder can be found here:

There will be two subdirectories, for mame and retroarch.

• For Mame, that folder will just have the .zip files for all the games, just have to drop them into your Mame artwork folder.
  • For Retroarch, the directories will match the actual Retroarch directory structure. So copy the config files for each game into the Retroarch config directory on your own machine and likewise for the overlays files.
  • To use my own Retroarch shader presets, just copy the contents of the shader directory, but you will need to be set up to use slang shaders and have the venom-guest-crt shader installed in your setup. Longer term I will include crt-pi and other common shader configurations that will be tuned for these overlays.

Here is a Karnov overlay set up in the new location, let me know if you have any problems with the new arrangement:

The CPO here was scanned by me and 3d rendered by @papashine. The other assets were sourced originally from @MrDo’s site.

11 Likes

This is wonderful news, guys. Epic team-up. This thread is literally one of three tabs I always leave open on my iPad. Checked daily. No rush, of course. Love you guys’ work. Thanks so much for all the fun.

4 Likes

Minor update to Karnov Overlay

Fixed some issues with the CPO. Files for MAME and Retroarch have both been updated:

7 Likes

Midnight Resistance 4K Vertical Overlay

Adding to the curved marquee cabs, we bring you Data East’s 1989 ‘Midnight Resistance’, a run and gun shooter with a fairly unique control scheme; this utilized Data East’s twisting joysticks for aim and was yet another of my favorites to play with my brother (another one for your collection @HyperspaceMadness!) .

There are 2 versions, one with the full Data East logo with a slight crop on the bezel and one with a full Bezel art on display.

It can also be seen being used as an unusual chair by Officer Duffy in this scene from Robocop 2

For the CPO, I’ve created a full 3D build with the yellow joystick’s, including the embossed DE logo on the top which was actually stolen from a lot of the cabs at the time and usually replaced with a generic top.

The bezel here was sourced for me by @ArsInvictus and the marquee is again a 3D render with restoration/clean-up by myself, downloaded from ArcadeArtwork. (there where a few versions of this cut so the crop is different in some cabs, this is the best one i could find!)

Also, if you missed the other posts on my old thread, we also have new curved marquee overlays with fully rendered CPO’s for Data East’s Robocop, Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja, and Sly Spy: Secret Agent on my Google drive too.

Grab Midnight Resistance overlay with a mame lay file HERE, and seperate PNG overlay for Retroarch HERE - hope you enjoy it!

8 Likes

Wow this looks really great! :star_struck: I love that it has the rotary joysticks on it :smiley:

I’ve always enjoyed that they put in an arcade scene with the data east games, makes me wonder what the make of all the other games in the arcade are, and if they’re all Data East :wink:

I’ll have to comb through an hd version sometime to satisfy my curiosity.

2 Likes

Nice detail on the sticks. That was the first thing I zoomed in on. Gonna have to lower the cp a little on my end to make room for the top and bottom chopped off the bezel though. Gotta have that full artwork visible.

1 Like

Hey, glad you like the details @Dreamstate! pleased you’re keen to tweak it to your own liking! here’s a view with the full art, un-cropped from my version which you can download here:

Hey @HyperspaceMadness, thanks for the kind words! I think most of the cabs in shot in that sequence are multiple versions of the data east cabs that were out at the time, I recall there being a few others (maybe a Nintendo or two) in the background but they don’t get any real screen time, and I think when Duffy has his head bashed into the glass on a sly spy you can see the Karnov poster just as the glass cracks! he litterally gets everywhere.

5 Likes

R-Type 4K Vertical Overlay Update

Not sure exactly how many iterations on this game I’ve done, but as I’ve said before it’s a personal favorite so I’ve poured a lot into it.

This is the first version that attempts to recreate the original dedicated cabinet, which had a exceptionally novel, dark, even ominous appearance. The front panel was flat from the marquee down to the control panel and had a black bezel and plexi in front of the monitor that made it look almost like the screen was hovering in the inky darkness. This is probably just me, but I find it slightly reminiscent of the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey :smiley:

This overlay features some reflections on the glass, as it would be impossible to play on this cabinet in an arcade without having them present, and without them the overlay didn’t relay the proper impression of the glass. So, while we’ve collectively agreed not to include artificial reflections on our overlays, we felt this was a reasonable exception. Hopefully we’ve done a good job and the effect is appreciated. Open to constructive criticism as always!

Thanks again to @PapaShine for his 3d renders of the marquee frame/panels and the CPO with reflection. There’s a particularly nice touch on the CPO reflection in the glass, as it could only be done by doing a 3d render of the CP and then flipping it around so the reflection has the proper angle and perspective.

Here’s the overlay, out there now for both Retroarch and MAME:

7 Likes

Wow, this R-Type overlay just keeps getting better, final result looks amazing @ArsInvictus, really feels like the real deal!

4 Likes

Decided to fill the bezel with more cab reflections. I think It works.

4 Likes

This looks good too @dreamstate! I didn’t include the screens because the fact they were static seemed odd to me, but that’s strictly a matter of personal taste. I like the coin doors there too :smiley:

1 Like

Usually I would agree but when I reduced the game screen it seemed fitting to load it up with more reflections and there’s already the cpo being lit up by a mostly black game… so I went all out lol. Black bezels just don’t work unless there’s something there. I’m currently using some of MrRetrolusts generic black bezels with reflections on them for games without bezel art. I’m going to try using this bezel on several other cabs with horizontal screens like Gravitar, Crystal Castles, Black Widow, Space Duel etc.

BreakThru

RetroArch version

MAME version

As we’re adding more Data East games, I wanted to bring in one of my DE favorites from the 80s, BreakThru. This one features a CPO that I recreated from scratch and @PapaShine rendered. As far as I’ve been able to tell, the CPO had no labels and it came with stickers for the buttons, which I recreated here. Try not to think about the physics of why the car jumps the way it does, that’s part of its charm!

The MAME version includes my usual options (two screen sizes, curved/straight, light/dark), the RetroArch version includes both screen sizes but you’ll need to manually choose the larger one to use it.

7 Likes

I agree @Dreamstate, Mr. Retrolust’s reflection style is very cool! I would definitely like to bring in more of that kind of thing as we go forward, it’s mostly a question of how much is too much, especially for reflections that cover parts of the game itself (which may not be possible in RetroArch, not sure) – I personally like the reflections when they suggest a space but don’t necessarily show details, which is how he does them, as opposed to clear marquees, but your approach is nice also.

1 Like

I’ve faded out the parts that overlap the game screen to minimal levels on them and they work pretty well. The sharper and brighter you go with these the worse they look. Like photos slapped together. I could just as well turn the exposure way down and give them more blur but then that lovely reflection of the cpo wouldn’t match.

2 Likes