PapaShine's 4k Vertical Overlays (ArsInvictus style)

I love this! I’d never heard about this game prior to you mentioning it. I’ll have to give it a try this weekend. I like the pseudo-CP approach too. It’s a good compromise that retains the CP art and blends with the overall cab layout without distraction.

Blur is on point :wink:

2 Likes

Glad you like it! It’s tricky because I actually don’t mind building the plastic moulded bezel in, but they were so basic it’s not like there’s anything ornate about the shapes even - just a massive cab with huge panels and looks like a tank to take allot of abuse!

I’m pleased with how it turned out – let me know what you think of the game, as a set I think it compliments The Simpsons, TMNT and Sunset Riders pretty well.

Glad you approve of the blurring haha :wink:

3 Likes

Robocop - Redux 4K Vertical Overlay

Its been a while since I posted an Overlay of my own but this one was a request from @HyperspaceMadness through @ArsInvictus to create an overlay for the Classic ‘Robocop’ - which also happens to be one of my favorites too - the design of these late 80’s Data East cabs look like something ripped right out of the movie its-self!

There are a few Vertical Overlays out there already for this, including a lovely one by Ars (Who kindly supplied his source assets for this!) but doing the 3D control panel/CPO meant I was able to revisit it and apply our latest techniques to include a full 3D curved/lit marquee to more closely resemble the look of the original Cab - Hope you like it!

You can download the Overlay along with a MAME .lay file HERE

6 Likes

I was confused for a moment, I thought the overlay on the right was another reference photo, and was like “that’s a nice photo of an actual cabinet, but where’s the overlay!?”.

Another brilliant job @PapaShine! Thank you!

2 Likes

:rofl: I’ll take that as a compliment! Thank’s guys, really glad you like it! - there are a few cabs I can use this model for now I’m happy with the look!

2 Likes

Wow!, that is just Awesome, thanks so much this really does look so real! :star_struck: :exploding_head:

The curved marquee is really great, it’s one of my favorite cab designs! It was what I thought I was going to build before I found this vertical format, and now That’s possible too :smiley:

You’ve really made my day! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Some Robocop Arcade Music for your listening pleasure:

2 Likes

Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja - Redux 4K Vertical Overlay

As its I put in the work to build the Data East curved marquee cab it was only right that I create a few of the others so here’s a full Overlay of the Classic ‘Bad Dudes’ - which, again also happens to be one of my favorites! (@HyperspaceMadness, might be another for your collection)

Thanks again to @ArsInvictus who supplied (from his original version) his restored Lit Marquee to drop into the curve and general feedback as well as visiting the actual cab last night confirm the overal acuracy of the look.

Once again, a full 3D marquee with authentic texture and full 3D recreated Control pannel with authentic button layout and unique 3D control sticks.

Hope you Enjoy it!

Grab it HERE

4 Likes

Another gorgeous, atmospheric cab production! I saw this cab in person just last night, and this not only captures the feel of the original cab, but it’s also quite possibly nicer to look at than the real thing! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks, it looks great! I played this one a lot when I was a kid. And if course that cab design is my favorite.

I enjoy that Karnov makes an appearance part way through :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @Dreamstate! Thanks, Glad you like it! Its a funny shape for sure, thats the way the bezel is - game is 4x3 ratio - think the screen bezel is a little narrower vertically but maybe @ArsInvictus can confirm what that actually looked like - theres always the chance the Bezel sorce art is slightly sqashed vertically!

@HyperspaceMadness - thought you might like it - yeah, he’s also on the Key Art too! lol

1 Like

It’s not that the bezel is squashed vertically itself, a lot of bezel screen cutouts didn’t match the 4:3 format precisely and where more square or more rectangular and assumed the actual monitor bezel would cover the difference.

So, I don’t think the bezel itself needs to be adjusted @PapaShine, there would just be an uneven black border without using the HSM shader. If you do a mame version, then the monitor bezel you back it with would take care of the mismatch in the same way that the HSM shader is doing in your screenshot.

You can see that the monitor border is exposed here in this shot I took of the original cabinet:

1 Like

Regardless, I don’t like black bars on either side of my game screen or having to stretch the game area out to an improper aspect ratio so I changed it on my own and deleted my comment about it. I didn’t ask for it to be adjusted. I wanted confirmation from someone and decided to confirm myself. As for MAME, I don’t use crt plastic bezels. I use actual bezel art and that’s it. I see no need to insert a fake plasic curved or straight bezel around my game screen eating into the real estate. If It used a shader as yours do i would. But it would serve zero purpose for me other than to make me want to crop it out manually if my game bezel came with it. More screen area. That’s something I know you understand.

2 Likes

No worries @Dreamstate, just trying to get everyone on the same page about it!

1 Like

Sly Spy - 4K Vertical Overlay

Another of the Data East curved marquee cabs, the (not so) Classic but just as retro ‘Sly Spy’ - which plays like a kind of rolling thunder/Shinobi game.

Most of the assets out there are pretty low-res so thanks to @ArsInvictus who supplied a nicer high res marquee and for grabbing a full bezel for this to restore so I can update it further down the line.

Once again, a full 3D marquee with authentic texture and full 3D recreated Control pannel with authentic button layout and unique Data East 3D control sticks!

As always, it’s on my google drive if you want to check it out HERE!

7 Likes

I did a bit of work on the bezel, up-ressed the art and added some duel tone to it to give it a cleaner Look, also worked up some quick icons/instructions but will update it properly when we have a better solution!

Those of you with a keen eye will notice the appearance (yet again!) of Karnov in the game lol (poster on the wall in that screenshot!)

Was thinking of doing a larger screen version of this for smaller screens (looks good on a 43") @benlogan @Thoggo, I know you’ve been keen on those in the past, is that something your interested in for these 3 overlays?

2 Likes

Too funny, man that Karnov gets around! :rofl:

2 Likes

@PapaShine, amazing stuff as always! Like I said, I think we need a Data East theme pack on VerticalArcade.com! I’m not sure these actually need other screen sizes as the default is pretty good, it can’t get a lot bigger anyway and that’s accurate. I will sometimes do a version that sets the screen to the full width of the overlay with no bezel on the sides, it’s easy to do but kind of a preference thing. There are certainly some horizontal games that have smaller screen sizes by default where it’s more necessary, and for vertical games it’s usually a good thing to include a larger size (I’m doing that with Joust 2).

5 Likes

Thanks @Thoggo! A Case by case basis is right def right - And sure, I’m up for a data east set for http://verticalarcade.com/ - will have Heavy barrel done soon for these curved cabs then we can talk about some others, after we’ve done our current collection of course!

3 Likes

UPDATE forgot to post this last week but the ‘Sly Spy: Secret Agent’ overlay now has a fantastic new full res bezel in it scanned and supplied curtasy of @ArsInvictus which you can get from the same location on my Google Drive - Thanks!

3 Likes

Combined Thread announcement! I’m very pleased to say @ArsInvictus has kindly renamed his thread to reflect a more focused effort by a group of us (@ArsInvictus, @Thoggo, @Briball, and myself) who you may have noticed are now working closely together as a team on allot of these overlays - this will simplify things by reducing our posts to a single location and make updates easier for you all to follow.

Lots of exciting developments in the works and more great overlays in the pipeline - thanks to everyone who’s downloaded and enjoyed the work I’ve posted so far!

In case you’re not already following, here’s the new combined thread to catch all future overlays from me and the rest of the team:

4 Likes