Audio in the Atari800 core

Ok finally got sample working in Joyride :slight_smile:

was missing in config.h #define SYNCHRONIZED_SOUND 1 and setup->buffer_frames = 1024; then Sound_Callback(SBUF, 1024);

but not optimal yet

i ll push update on git soon.

Whoa! Great!! So the optimal solution is on latest github push? Or should we wait to try?

the last push on git should sound better and it now play sample , at least on my linux et my rpi2.

Could you test on your side to confirm as i only tested rpi2 with joyride . sample play but i have no idea how it should sound as official atari800 segfault on my ubuntu ;( i just watch some video and it seem ok for me , but not sure.

it not optimal yet because i force 8bit unsigned mono for pokeysnd and then upscaling to 16bit signed and copy channel 1 to channel 2 on Libretro side to have 16bit stereo . So not the best way of dealing sound ! ill look later if none make a PR.

For the pb with config file on rpi , i have no idea . so if anyone have idea …

@r-type: it still sounds more or less the same bad to me with the latest git push :frowning: You can build Atari800 standalone for the Pi, it has support for it (it lacks the video/audio synchronization of a libretro port, but it will do for comparisions on how you core should be sounding). Look at the --target==rpi configure option. It doesn’t segfault on a Pi.

[QUOTE=vanfanel;34520]@r-type: it still sounds more or less the same bad to me with the latest git push :frowning: You can build Atari800 standalone for the Pi, it has support for it (it lacks the video/audio synchronization of a libretro port, but it will do for comparisions on how you core should be sounding). Look at the --target==rpi configure option. It doesn’t segfault on a Pi.[/QUOTE]

ok this is what i get with the last push ( rec of the control demo http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=56481 )

http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/upelPXXy

can you give me a reference file pointing the same demo recording with standalone ?

@r-type: Here is how that demo sounds on standalone Atari800 emulator;

It sounds the same on Libretro/RetroArch on my X86_64 desktop computer. I only have WRONG audio on the Pi. Do you see the same? I mean: bad audio only on the Pi.

Yes wrong for me too with rpi , sound only in 1 channel . desperate with this core on rpi !

@r-type: maybe it’s the same problem causing the wrong numbers generated in the COLOR_* values of the atari800.cfg file? I mean, some kind of precission problem that’s only happening on the Pi for some reason.

[QUOTE=vanfanel;34604]@r-type: maybe it’s the same problem causing the wrong numbers generated in the COLOR_* values of the atari800.cfg file? I mean, some kind of precission problem that’s only happening on the Pi for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Ok so for the bad value in cfg , was my fault i was using an old and bad libco arm with a not-8byte aligned stack. now with the last push from git , you should not have the wrongs numbers in .atari800.cfg

now for the sound i have to dig …

@r-type, yes, colors are right now :slight_smile:

@vanfanel, i’ve tried atari800 on bananapi (not having rpi2 here) and it sound if i change

retro_audio_cb(SNDBUF[x],SNDBUF[x+1]); to retro_audio_cb(SNDBUF[x],SNDBUF[x+2]);

@r-type: Whoa! It souds good at last! You seem to have discovered the problem! Also, there are audio poppings after a while. Use a “silen” game or boot to basic, and wait for a while to hear them. And could you please enable NTSC mode? Right now, it runs at PAL video frequencies even if you select NTSC mode.

[QUOTE=vanfanel;35116]@r-type: Whoa! It souds good at last! You seem to have discovered the problem! Also, there are audio poppings after a while. Use a “silen” game or boot to basic, and wait for a while to hear them. And could you please enable NTSC mode? Right now, it runs at PAL video frequencies even if you select NTSC mode.[/QUOTE]

i can’t reproduce audio popping on x86_64 , but I haven’t test yet on rpi2.

I pushed a commit to handle PAL/NTSC change , now should run fine at 60hz if you enable NTSC in atari800 UI or config. ( only tested on x86_64 )

r-type, hope you don’t mind me asking again, but any chance of a binary ? Would love to see the progress.

[QUOTE=John.Merrit;35275]r-type, hope you don’t mind me asking again, but any chance of a binary ? Would love to see the progress.[/QUOTE]

http://dl.free.fr/w2wzBjKjP

1 Like

r-type, fantastic, thankyou. Works great, and the sound is a huge improvement.

Curious does anyone have a copy of this core for android or even the old mess core for android???..thanks in advance

I cannot play roms on windows, i always get a blackscreen or a message asking me to use the original machine and not an emulator (at least it’s what i remember it’s appeared on the screen, just tried 1 week ago). Any help? I set the appropriate bios though.

I had the same problem, until I found the solution somewhere in the RetroPie Wiki. In your RetroArch directory must be a file “.atari800.cfg”. There you have to add the paths of the needed Bios files.

In my case the bios files are stored in RetroArch\system\atari[…].rom. So my config file looks like below:

Atari 800 Emulator, Version 3.1.0
ROM_OS_A_NTSC=
ROM_OS_A_PAL=system\atariosa.rom
ROM_OS_B_NTSC=
ROM_OS_AA00R10=
ROM_OS_AA00R11=
ROM_OS_BB00R1=
ROM_OS_BB01R2=system\atarixl.rom
ROM_OS_BB02R3=
ROM_OS_BB02R3V4=
ROM_OS_CC01R4=
ROM_OS_BB01R3=
ROM_OS_BB01R4=
ROM_OS_BB01R59=
ROM_OS_BB01R59A=
ROM_5200=system\5200.rom
ROM_5200_A=
ROM_BASIC_A=
ROM_BASIC_B=
ROM_BASIC_C=system\ataribas.rom
ROM_XEGAME=
ROM_400/800_CUSTOM=system\atariosb.rom

This is only the part with the needed bios files. There are more entries in the file, which you don’t have to edit.

1 Like

Thank you so much, it worked!