Audio issues with Rpi3, Lakka and a HDMI to VGA cable

My attempt at a Lakka setup includes a RPi3, an old vga monitor connected through a hdmi to vga converter and a pair of speakers powered with a usb cable and outputted through a standard 3.5mm jack. Video output works fine but there’s no audio. All pieces of hardware work fine when connected to other devices. Following the guide here i’ve tried to enter the config file so that it’ll play sound through the speakers, but i don’t know if my particular setup requires further tweaking or not as it doesn’t work. The speaker’s usb and jack cables both go through the pi. I’m not sure if i should be putting the jack cable through the vga to hdmi converter instead but i’ve tried it both ways and tweaked the config file in a variety of ways and still come up with nothing. I get the sneaking suspicion that the hdmi to vga converter is causing some kind of conflict. My /flash/config file currently ends with:

hdmi_drive=2 //video through hdmi
hdmi_ignore_edid_audio=1 //audio through pi

Can anyone advise, either on what my config should be or the best layout for my hardware setup? Thanks in advance.

You should try first to only use hdmi_ignore_edid_audio=1 then change audio device to the jack output as you are using HDMI to VGA.

Took a bit of time to try it but thank you, that worked.