Best drivers for Raspberry Pi?

Hi! Which are the best video and audio drivers for Lakka on Raspberry Pi 1? (2D games)

Is the option “dispmanx” valid if typed in the retroarch.cfg? Again, is “22000” a valid option for audio rate?

Thank you very much.

Hello, I think that dismanx may be faster, but won’t let you run the menu of 3D cores. This has to be confirmed by @vanfanel

No idea about the audio rate, the default always worked for me.

Thank you very much. I’m only interested in NES, Genesis and (eventually, if RPi1 can manage it) SNES.

I wrote “dispmanx” in retroarch.cfg since it is not selectable by UI and it seems OK, but I didn’t know if it is a valid option. It would be nice also if 44100 and 22050 were selectable by UI.

:wink:

I don’t think that the binary is compiled with --enable-dismanx

Ah OK. :blush: If you decide to enable it somehow in next release please let me know.

Any advice for “better” input driver on RPi?

If you create an issue on the github tracker i’ll certainly add it next month.

I think that people are compiling the kernel with real time options to reduce input lag. Ask this man https://github.com/larskj

Dispmanx isn’t really much faster nowadays, but if you use swapchain=2 instead of the default swapchain=3, it will have less input lag than GLES on the Pi. Dispmanx isn’t about speed anymore but about input lag. That’s because, as far as I know, EGL context for the GLES driver doesn’t honor the swapchain=2 setting.

Thank you very much for your support! I’ve opened a new “issue” on GitHub, and I’m eager to test dispmanx for the input lag improvement.

Even an “old” Raspberry Pi 1 can actually give a very good gameplay experience with Lakka if connected on a CRT TV (NES, Genesis, PC Engine etc.). If also this could became reality, it would be really close to the original.

Just another question. I’m directly comparing a real NES NTSC (composite out) and Lakka (RPi 1, composite out, SDTV mode 0, integer scaling enabled) on a real CRT TV. Aside from obvious resolution differences, I get some “pillar boxing” (black vertical bars) on Lakka. If I disable integer scaling I get “full screen” but also wrong aspect ratio and jagged lines. This happens only on NES cores.

There is a way to keep integer scaling on, and to apply some kind of “resize option” to fill the CRT monitor? Thank you!

That’s because the composite-out is doing something like 640x480i res and S/NES is 256x224 (plus overscan). Try keeping integer scaling on but enable the ‘sharp bilinear’ shader and then change your aspect ratio setting until it fills the screen.

The shader should keep it as sharp as possible without any weird pixel warping.

That’s because the composite-out is doing something like 640x480i res and S/NES is 256x224 (plus overscan). Try keeping integer scaling on but enable the ‘sharp bilinear’ shader and then change your aspect ratio setting until it fills the screen.

The shader should keep it as sharp as possible without any weird pixel warping.

I don’t use dispmanx driver on my raspberry, because screen rotation doesn’t seem to work properly with it, but i suppose it doesn’t matter if you don’t play arcade games.

There is a way to get the same without shaders, e.g. with framebuffer_width and framebuffer_height in config.txt? Thanks

Hello, well I have some updates. :wink: Probably I had some kind of “strange bug” with the NES core: after switching the “crop overscan” option ON and OFF, without reloading the screen, suddenly the pillar boxing in NES games disappeared! I tried to replicate it but without success. Anyhow, I have a perfect picture now also for NES games. :wink:

A couple of questions:

• enabling HW bilinear filtering will increase input lag?
  • @Kivutar why dispmanx driver is not available as option for the RPi (1, 2 or 3) Lakka image? :slight_smile:
  • what else could I do on RPi to get a minimum input lag on CRT TV?
  • were NES and genesis cores updated with the recent fixes described in “Input lag” investigation thread?

Thank you very much!

Hi all, I compiled RetroArch from scratch for Raspberry Pi 1 and all the cores have a problem with audio. It is very laggy. What is the best driver to use with Raspberry Pi 1 B+ model?

I would like to understand. picodrive, rpi-picodrive and lr-snes (I don’t remember which version) have good video emulation but poor audio.

Any help is appreciate.

Thank you all

Hi Francesco, why compile from scratch when you can get Lakka for RPi 1?

Hi scandy, I only want to understand in which way Lakka configure all the stuff for RPi v1 :wink:

Could you help me in this?

Thanks

Ok, I tried Lakka for Raspberry Pi 1 and the emulation is very poor. So also Lakka isn’t good for Raspbery Pi 1. For example the audio on PicoDrive is very bad.

The problem is not the hardware because another famous retrogaming distribution that use RetroArch has a great performance with this emulator.