Best shader for 480p LCD?

Figured I’d ask as it seems like a lot of the shaders recommended are optimized for 1080p+. So I was wondering if any would be technically superior for playing on a 480p LCD such as those found on many handhelds.

that’s not really enough pixels to do much with, but any of the “2x” shaders, like hq2x or mmpx, etc., should look quite good. Very basic scanlines work, too, but not much else.

1 Like

My recommendation for this is always the TV-Out interlacing preset, though you may want to substitute the interlacing pass (which provide the scanlines) with an alternative. I use scanlines-sine-abs with it.

2 Likes

I believe crt-1tap is really good for 480p.

you’ll also want to make sure the flickering of the interlacing shader doesn’t cause persistence on the panel, though I think that’s mostly IPS panels and those 480p LCDs are usually TFT(?)

Thanks, yea I was hoping to give games a bit more of a retro look but like you said it is quite the limitation lol

For example, guest advanced looks better to my eye but I’m sure it’s only doing like a fraction of what it should lol

That sounds perfect, I’ll give this a shot!

I was testing with a CRT monitor and 480p output, on the monitors the mask is invisible, so I used some of the CRT shaders to give a TV effect, Hyllian and Lottes have a good effect, sometimes I had to disable the scanline.

I’m using gtuv50 or an Interpolation shader and turn off the mask and scanlines. I’m using this with a scanline or grid overlay and it looks really good on the small screen

At this resolution I prefer just dead simple scanlines: one row of fully black pixels followed by a row of the original 240p image. Turn on integer scaling (2x) and use the interger scanlines preset under the scanlines folder.

2 Likes

I use integer on and crt1-tap on a device with 480p screen. It looks the best than the rest.