Blargg's NTSC filter 320px version as a filter?

Is there a reason why the 320px wide version of the filter used in Genesis Plus GX can’t be made into a standalone video filter, so that we can use it with such systems as PC Engine, PSX etc?

5 Likes

After reading Blarrg’s page, http://blargg.8bitalley.com/libs/ntsc.html

I would speculate that there might be system-specific aspects, the 256 px filter version in RA works for e.g. PC Engine and MSX, but maybe it doesn’t quite look how it’s supposed to be :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah it definitely doesn’t look right.

Is there some technical reason why the 320px version used in Genesis Plus GX wouldn’t work for PC Engine, MSX, PSX etc?

1 Like

I took a quick stab at porting it over, but I think it’s going to be more complex than I’m prepared to handle.

3 Likes

After experiencing this a while ago with PC Engine not looking right and after seeing the results achieved by @Juandiegous with their customized Blargg_NTSC_MD_Composite.filt, I decided to have a go at customizing the blargg_ntsc_snes video filter to my liking.

After fiddling around with some settings and trying to understand the parameter ranges, I really like what I came up with for both Sega Genesis as well as PC Engine.

I have a feeling that you might also get some good results if you dabble a bit more in the filter settings for a while.

CyberLab__Composite-Pure__Soqueroeu-TV_Special_Edition-TurboDuo__STD.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

CyberLab__Composite-Pure__Soqueroeu-TV_Special_Edition-TurboDuo__STD.slangp (Only)

CyberLab__Composite-Pure__Soqueroeu-TV_Special_Edition-Genesis__STD.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

I have included these video filter presets in my Shader Preset Pack.

You can also take a refresher from the original Blargg NTSC Filter page with pictures included.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210526230847/http://blargg.8bitalley.com/libs/ntsc.html

3 Likes

Unfortunately my computer is having a really hard time with zip files, I think I may have some corrupted system files. I’m getting a “path too long” error when I try to unzip your latest shader pack :confused:

2 Likes

Nothing is wrong with your computer in this case. The path really is too long. If you’re using Windows, just use the Windows Explorer built-in zip file handling to open the zip then copy and paste the presets or folders from the zip into the correct folders in RetroArch.

You can let me know if that works.

1 Like

It worked, thanks. The custom filter is looking a lot like the NTSC shaders IMO, and isn’t quite what I’m after, personally. I want something that actually looks like composite video on a CRT, not RF, not a custom filter that removes all the artifacts because without those artifacts some of the blending is very unsightly IMO.

1 Like

You’re welcome. It’s not that many parameters to play around with if you want to further customize the filters. So I suggest you make some copies and start to poke around with some values. You can try increasing by +/-0.1 or +/-0.2 at a time. The ranges are a bit strange to me. Some seem to start at -1 (which is Off) and increase from there. Some seem to go past +1 but I’m not 100% sure yet. So don’t be afraid to use values between +/-0.9 and 0 as well.

So you can probably try increasing some of the values I have set slightly. Some have some not so nice artifacts but what’s nice as well is that you can tweak the gamma and brightness a bit here and also adjust the resolution in very fine increments it seems.

Too much of any setting seems to cause strange and undesirable artifacts.

If you encounter the screen being squished to the one side when you try to use it with a particular core you can toggle the last parameter.

You can open the *.filt files in a text editor by the way. The default preset names and their comma separated values are close to the top.

2 Likes