Calling all CRT owners: photos please!

Crusin USA - Arcade Monitor

6 Likes

Sub pixel sub phosphor, give me a 16k :slight_smile:

Seriously, what are those ‘tails’ you see in around the phosphors at the side of the picture? they seem to follow the image perpective along the Z axis turning them into cubes in the space.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Which preset are these using? Looking good.

2 Likes

A preset that draws about 100w just to load :slight_smile:

This is the lower level code on the back with rgb cutoff parameters focused:

The dust is what gives it that personality, I think

3 Likes

What display is this? The subpixels look almost identical to my LG OLED TV except for the RGB layout.

CyberLab Megatron 4K HDR Game SNES Composite on LG 55OLEDE6P

Crop from @kokoko3k’s Decades Old Arcade CRT Monitor photo.

20230912_075329

1 Like

Nice, it is a crt slotmask display, obviously, but is from a real cab from decades ago, the chassis is from intervideo (philips) I think, but I’ve no clue about the phosphors on the back of the glass.

2 Likes

That is intriguing. I’ve never seen CRT phosphors looking like that before. They look almost identical to LG’s OLED subpixel design.

What do you think about that? @hunterk, @MajorPainTheCactus?

1 Like

It is the same from the shots from Ghouls’n ghosts, just taken with very very low aperture speed, so my guess is that they all looks that way (?)

My only wonder is relative to the tails over the Z axis, which could be related to some optical effect (??)

(…???)

2 Likes

I don’t understand what you’re referring to exactly. Can you draw a circle over a cropped photo so that I can see it more clearly? I’m assuming you’re either talking about the deconvergence on the edges of some of the phosphors or the faint, barely lit phosphors in the very dark areas.

1 Like

I see cubes on the left:

And cubes on the right:

Sparing the cubes on top and bottom and bottom right and so on, you’ve got it.

perfectly following the perspective

2 Likes

You see cubes, I see poor camera stabilization and focus. Lol

1 Like

But they seem to follow an ideal centered vanishing point (hoping the term is exact for italian “punto di fuga”)), could it still be due to the camera?

2 Likes

This is a term we use in English when speaking about perspective.

I can’t say for certain that it is in this case but I’m pretty sure it’s possible. Remember we’re viewing on a 2D medium so anything that occurs in 2 dimensions might be represented including the 2D versions of some 3D phenomenon.

In order to test that theory you might need to eliminate the error or reduce the margin of error by eliminating the camera shake, having proper focus, exposure and shutter speeds to properly capture the exact subject matter in the proper context and then maybe taking some samples from different perspectives.

Either that or by viewing in person.

1 Like

I’ve never seen anything like that, no :eyes:

Usually, it looks like little glass lenses: https://kayakfari.wordpress.com/kayakfari-art/art-of-primary-colors-the-rgb-on-my-crt/

2 Likes

This is a photo of a CRT shader on a flat screen right? The images below (of super ghouls and ghosts) are of an actual CRT - nice CRT by the way and lovely photos!

1 Like

Could it be refraction from the face plate? If the plate has more or less curvature than the tube?

2 Likes

All photos are from the same CRT running AdvMame on 15Khz screen, no shaders.

Signal is from an old ArcadeVGA-like (AGP ATI Radeon 7xxx with patched firmware [good times] ) with modes set to 15Khz and just gained to be compatible with the monitor.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the red phosphors themselves had a slight orangeish tint :frowning:

1 Like

Are you absolutely sure? You havent got your photos mixed up? The phosphors vs the pixelated phosphors are quite different shapes. Ill try and grab what I mean.