Calling all CRT owners: photos please!

i guess it’s from the camera.

3 Likes

Atari SC1224 color monitor. Note the (ST) active area without borders has an actual aspect 1.4.

If i wanted to reproduce this i would say CRT-Geom scanlines and curvature with guest.r filter. Mask 0 on 1080p, something more detailed in larger resolutions.

Better still, lottes-fast with sharpen 4.0 or so (glsl).

5 Likes

Here are some shots of a Philips TS 2774 C101. I use it in TATE (since the box sits nicely on its side). So bear in mind all these pics need to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

(I also didn’t notice earlier there is a bit of lint on the screen over Dig Dug’s head.)

4 Likes

7 Likes

5 Likes

Another 1084s I found on the internet (showing one pixel damaged).

4 Likes

If you look at the white part of the E on the Right pic, you can see that from a normal distance this appears white and not as RGB. This is why I am starting to use mask strength at less than 80% on my LG C9 OLED with HDR. It brightens up the picture A LOT. You can’t make out the RGB but it will look white.

4 Likes

Thats clipping introduced by the camera - you dont really want to reproduce that. However if youre screen is not very bright then its definitely a thing you can do to brighten up your image sadly at the cost of accuracy.

2 Likes

New monitor aquirement Eizo Flexscan 8060S Multisync 14". Eizo = Nanao. Can do 15-35 KHz. Wasn’t what I was looking for, I was on the hunt for something more conventional (e.g. the monitor frequency for this one means it can do at most 800x600 at 56 hz…), but the price was a real bargain, so I couldn’t resist.

Presumably rather old - reviews I found indicated this model was launched in the second half of the 80s. When I got it, the picture was a notch too dark, thankfully I could adjust by turning the internal Screen knob to bring it to acceptable level. Sharpness for 480p and above is just about adequate…I’m being used looking at my 480p LCDs and of what I remember from my 17" Syncmaster CRT monitor, which definitely ran circles around this. Flip-side is, that things blend together more nicely, double scan VGA looks more pleasing to me etc. Scanlines in 240p mode are also right, not too distracting.

The monitor also has an Amber/B&W switch. As you can see in the pictures I’m supplying, it doesn’t quite work for the B&W used on a full color picture. I’ve read in a review that this might be normal, but I’m not sure if it’s that severe because of the input I’m using. I’ve read the manual of another multisync monitor where it was mentioned that the monochrome switch is meant for textmode and only works with digital RGB (EGA etc.), so maybe it would look better in such circumstances.

Anyway, I’ve taken some pics with resolution fed from PC: 240p, 288p, 480p close ups, for 240p also a pic showing it from greater distance and with the mono switches on. At the end I’m also uploading the input pics I used.

Super Mario World TreasureTrap UnchartedW-pc1

8 Likes

Congrats! Enjoy it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great display and fantastic close up pictures - I do remember the eizo flexscan but not from the 80s! At least I dont think my memories are from that long ago - crazy they had them going back until then. Must have been very cutting edge in the 80s!

2 Likes

Do you think there’s an y deconvergence of the red here?

5 Likes

Yup definitely but probably if you look at a different part of the screen theres not - the joys of CRTs. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Sega Rally Arcade

8 Likes

Sega Manx TT Superbike Arcade

6 Likes

Fantastic I love the high end slot mask CRTs they used in the latter day arcade machines - does anybody know more about them? What make etc theyre displaying a 640p image I presume which is why they exhibit almost no scanlines. They do tend to suffer deconvergence issues more than other displays it seems.l

In this case (Sega Model 2) they’re displaying 384p, I found a thread where somebody picked up a cabinet saying it’s a Nanao MS8-26SU monitor.

3 Likes

House of the Dead 2IMG_6177

Sorry. There is a window before the screen.

Is the output mirrored or why can i see „two screens“? The bottom image has vertical lines. The top not.

2 Likes

Sega Rally Arcade

5 Likes

Does anyone have some close ups of 480/576i on Trinitron consumer TVs?