Calling all CRT owners: photos please!

FWIW @Cyber I do think this thread is the best for close-ups of actual CRTs and I do appreciate you posting these videos here!

1 Like

Seems like this guy is at it again! Is he showing us the correct way to capture these things? I mean he has his high end equipment but I’m sure we can all benefit from some of his techniques and practices.

4 Likes

He shall be our savior…

1 Like

One of my sets

7 Likes

That Slot Mask is so sexy. Do you have more pics of this tv? Your pic gave me some inspiration on where I might want to take my Slot Mask shader presets when I tweak them again. I tried to mimic the pic:

What interests me is how the colors look in the image, it gives off this almost “peach” like hue overall, maybe it’s due to how the picture was taken but it looks interesting and that’s what I went for in my pics.

5 Likes

Different manufacturers CRTs push different colors different ways, iirc Sony pushed the ever living F’ out of the Red channel. (Kinda turned greens “yellowish” in some situations; super noticable at the beginning of Sonic 3, when the forest catches fire)

3 Likes

I’m glad you took some inspiration from it! Here’s the TV itself. Sorry, I’m not the best at taking pics of CRTs

3 Likes

Yup and that’s the beauty of crts, so many different types out there, The colors on his first pic reminded me of the xm29plus shader in the presets folder, well a old version of the shader anyway, it seems to have gotten updated and changed into something else now.

@datjocko thanks for the pic, looking at your second pic the colors look kind of different now, maybe it’s also due to how the picture was taken. None the less your pic made me want to do some tweaking again sonthsnk you

3 Likes

It hasn’t been modified since 2019 and the stuff before that is just bugfixes. When did the change happen? If it was recent (like the past week), someone compressed all of the LUTs “losslessly” but if it affected the colors, it might not have been so lossless after all…

EDIT: hmm, I just checked and it seems okay here

3 Likes

I’m not sure myself when it changed, I just remember trying it out last night and noticed it looked different from what I remembered. But yes the colors do look different a bit. Maybe my memory is just off a bit, haven’t loaded that shader up in a long time

This is the way!

2 Likes

Fantastic! Its alright if you have the wallet for it…

1 Like

Fantastic retro styling on that Panasonic - beautiful CRT!

1 Like

Let’s support these people who are doing things the right way! Preserve and make the best techniques more mainstream.

The poster of this video said he used ProCam X and Macro mode with ISO 100 and shutter speed to match the refresh rate. Also, he used an old desklamp as a tripod.

ProCam X - Lite

4 Likes

Many CRT photos in these two links:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/scanline-screenshot-thread-because-240p-is-all-the-ps-i-need.921436/

I’ve got some Sony PVM-20L2 and PVM-2053MD (1953MD) shots if needed, but seems you’ve already nailed the PVM look

2 Likes

Hi Wilch, I would REALLY like to see some close up ‘standardised’ photos as detailed in the first post above of both your PVMs if possible! It really helps in ‘digitising’ these screens.

1 Like

I’ve been following this one below, it also seems to have a lot of the same content as the ResetEra thread

2 Likes

This is a zoom in of my Arcade monitor, using my phone (picture is in the middle of the letter “R” in Afterburner 2).

Not sure if such detail helps.

5 Likes

So the retroboards and resetera threads started at the same time? Both clearly inspired by the original neogaf 240p thread

1 Like

I don’t have the 20L2 anymore, only photos which aren’t standardised. I’ll take some pics of the 2053MD

1 Like