Can supersampling work w/ Retroarch?

If I supersample a 1440p image on a 1080p display, will a 240p game fill the whole screen w/ integer scale on and a 4:3/core provided aspect ratio?

Yes, but it probably doesn’t do everything you’re hoping it does. That is, it functions similarly to the pixellate/aann/sharp-bilinear shaders, but it won’t make for evenly spaced/sized scanlines.

You can try it out by going into the shader settings and set 2 passes, each one with the stock shader for your video driver (i.e., *.glsl for GL, *.slang for vulkan or d3d11/12, *.cg for d3d9) and set the first pass to scale 5x and filter nearest, and the second pass to scale “don’t care” and filter linear.

Thanks! So I used DSR w/ my gpu and ran RA. So I’m outputting 1440p on a 55” 1080p display using core provided for aspect ratio and integer scale ON

Game images fill the whole screen on 240p games w/o and cut off pixels.

Scanline shaders (tested geom and hyllian) look off by default but turning off the phosphors or dot mask makes it look better and even looking for the most part. Although in bright red colors it looks slightly off

For sharper pixel shaders and no scanlines, I like it a lot. The pixellate shader looked too messy on games before at 5x (although it might have to do w/ my display size) and looks much better (sharp not messy) now.

1 Like

So should I have a color adjusting shader (i.e. image adjustment) as my first pass @ 5x nearest and a crt shader for my second pass as linear and “don’t care”?

Hmm, that’s a good question. Most CRT shaders don’t really work well for downsampling, but you can definitely play around and see what works.