Core and Feature Requests

1. Please update the downloadable 240pTestSuitePS1 with the new release, as the old one was mastered incorrectly and the new 240pTestSuitePS1-EMU finally works with emulators like mednafen psx:
    https://github.com/filipalac/240pTestSuite-PS1/releases/tag/19122020

2. A QoL improvement would be a visual feedback for used savestates like the [#] seen in the core downloader for already downloaded cores.
    It happens to me, that i had one savestate in slot 0 and a second in slot 2 (i skipped 1 for unknown reasons).
    I wantet to load my second savestate, but it didn’t work because 1 was empty and therefore i was a bit confused.
    Picture to illustrate:

3 Likes

One of the features I wanted to see is a easy swap of backgrounds/wallpapers. Every time I do select one Its a bit cumbersome because then I cant select it easily like the themes instead I have to go back into the file explorer and then select the wallpaper. Also make it available for Kiosk mode.

Anyone know if there are plans to or if anyone can make a core for the phoenix 3DO emulator?

The Jaguar part of phoenix is even more interesting since VirtualJaguar is… not great to say the least. While 3DO support in RA with Opera is pretty good.

Still, this is a closed source emulator so i doubt we will ever see a libretro core.

1 Like

I was wondering if there are plans for more non-emulator cores in the near future? Something in the vein of OpenBOR, OpenMW or those open source ports of Duke Nukem and Serious Sam engines. Those would be really great to see as libretro cores.

Also, is there one place to see the cores that are currently being worked on, just to see what can be expected in near or far future?

And lastly, what are the chances of having Quake 3 and Doom 3 cores available on Android?

EDIT: I forgot to add that this is my first post on the forum so I want to say a big thank you to all the people involved in this project. I’ve been using Retroarch for 3 years now and for all that time it’s been my one stop shop for emulation. I love how it’s growing with all the great features and cores. So, thank you and please never stop :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sega 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast offer some games in “anamorphic” Widescrenn.

To appreciate them, it requires configuring the Aspect Ratio in a Widescreen format (19:9, etc). In a normal state it is “Core provides”, native 4:3 for those consoles.

It is very pleasant to play Nights Into Dreams in HD. Or games like F355 Challenge with Hack HD lose polygons on the sides, with this option it looks right.

Could you have an option to change the format automatically?

Has anyone ever taken a look at perhaps making a dedicated FM-Towns core from the open-source Tsugaru emulator that debuted last year? if not, I think it would be a great addition to the Retroarch library. http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/FM/towns/Tsugaru/e.html

4 Likes

When a game doesn’t show a correct core to start, what we have to do?

I downloaded every Sega Saturn core and Sonic R don`t recommend any of the cores for the platform to load. :sweat:

Is it in bin/cue format? Are you loading the cue?

Hey, thanks for reply!

I realize the format of the archive was in .mdf, and the emulator don`t recognize.

But I get a new problem. I open the game and not have BGM sound. And some games simple crash and not load after I start. :unamused:

1 Like

This also can have a lot to do with your source content. I personally recommend a trusted pre-compiled set of CHDs.

1 Like

I had an idea about a flexible menu. Currently the menu is very static. Means you need to pre-define menu items. But certain features in certain emulators require entries. This is currently not possible in libretro/retroarch.

For example in citra standalone you can define several virtual buttons for the touchscreen. This adds a new entries in a drop-down list: Button 1 Button 2 Button 3 Button 4 Add New Button …

In libretro/retroarch, you need currently to set a fixed amount of buttons which the user can define. E.g. 4 Buttons. But if the user wants to add a 5th button, it is not possible because he cannot add another menu item.

So the request would be to add flexible menu lists in which the user can add further items, possibly with a max number of menu items.

Another Feature for libretro is extended screen. A feature to extend the screen to another (maybe portable) screen would be good. So emulators like desmume, melonds, citra, dolphin, flycast could use the second screen for the other displays (second screen for DS and 3DS, GBA for dolphin, VMU for Flycast)

Another idea for retroarch: Create an “Update retroarch” category. It would be really great to update retroarch within retroarch. The Updater should delete unnessarcy files create new necessary files and replace existing files with the new counterpart.

5 Likes

Would it be possible to add a usb microphone as a controller? There are several Singing / Karaoke games on Wii, Playstation, etc that used microphones. It would also be awesome if pocketcdg supported audio in and you could add some reverb karaoke style effects.

3 Likes

A Windows Classic Core (Win98) would be great. Based on Dosbox-X, Windows98 can be installed as baseline. The benefit of dosbox-x is the hardware acceleration for 3D games. So classic games like GTA2, NFS2, Diablo etc. can be played.

With the imgmount feature games can be installed on a dedicated hdd image (hdd.img). The open question would be how to automate things like with dosbox pure.

1 Like

i have some ideas that would benefit the project:

• Sega model 2 Core
  • Sega model 3 Core
  • FM Towns core
  • Openbor or Mugen Core And some improvement ideas: -Beetle saturn working with CHD files on android -Kronos core working on android -Save states on PX68k Core -Save states on PCSX2 Core
1 Like

The article reads “released the source code *(albeit as compressed assets as opposed to a proper repo”, so where in the released file is it actually?

" So now after 15+ years, Shima has FINALLY released the source code (albeit as compressed assets as opposed to a proper repo) , and folks can finally start digging around in the code and adding improvements, or borrowing bits for other projects… Official GitHub : https://github.com/shimazzz/SEGASaturnEmulator-SSF/releases"

Well call me surprised too…I downloaded both the .zip and .tar.gz files and there’s nothing in there…Honestly I just shared the news from genuine excitement at that time and didn’t checked it at all but now that you mention it you are right…Maybe if someone asked Shima in his Twitter account to get a more clear answer?

Just a demo how it would look

Citra Core with extended Screen

1 Like