CRT-Hyllian and its variants

Hello there.

Recently I tried the curvature ntsc variant of the hyllian shader. I like the shader, but I noticed some weird artifact when using it on the BSNES core at 1080p. At some points on the screen I see some black bars (see images for reference). I am using the latest shaders from the RA updater.

On this screenshot from Hagane you can see some clear black bars on the sides on the characters (near the hair for example).

On this TMNT shot you can see these black bars cleary on the white lines in the background. Do you have an idea how this could be fixed?

1 Like

It looks like some ringing artifacts. As the crt shader is setting anti-ringing=1.0, I don’t know from where it’s comming. Dunno how to fix that.

One of the best shaders for sure. I have recently made a preset using hyllian 3D to get vertical games looking good on un-tated displays. It works well with horizontal stuff too, of course. It’s a little bit convoluted, using hyllian 3D and the masks from the img mod shader. It has to be hyllian 3D because of its very convenient ability to set the X/Y res, since in order to make it work I had to add a stock pass at increased resolutions (x3, x5, even x7, depending on the game, output resolution and performance target).

Here is an example of said preset, running at 1440p with mask number 5.

4 Likes

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure yes. I’d probably be disappointed if my presets didn’t have some sort of “artifacts”, slight interference, noise, deconvergence or any other quality or effect that recreates that analog warmth that analog imperfection tends to create.

Hi Hyllian, first of all thank you for your super XBR scaler which, coupled with your CRT shader or together with Guest CRT Advance shader manage to give an incredible result on a modest mini PC with a 1080p screen with very good performance. The problem occurs with games like Marvel Vs Capcom 2, where I see that the characters of the game are not interpolated during battles, at other times they are. The problem occurs when I use the HSM Potato GDV Advance Super XBR preset and your CRT Super XBR. Could you help me figure out what I’m doing wrong please? Thank you.

You’re not doing anything wrong. It’s just the nature of the way that game works, with mixed resolutions in a single scene.

xBR works by examining pixels and comparing them with their neighbors, but it can’t tell which ones are neighbors when they’re different sizes.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply, are there any valid solutions or alternatives to overcome the problem? If I remember correctly Hyllian had created a version of Super XBR that could solve these mixed 3D and 2D situations, but I don’t know where he is and what his name is …

There are the super-*xbr-3d shaders, which can ignore up-rezzed polygons while smoothing out sprites, but I don’t think they work on MvC2 or CVS because their sprites are scaled oddly before they’re even composited with the high-res stuff. You could try them, though.

1 Like

Forgive me, I found several inside the “XBR” - “PRESET” folder, and I’m not understanding anything about what they do and what differences they have. For example, on a native resolution with a game like Tekken 2 for PlayStation, which one should I use? And could I after loading the shader insert Hyllian or Guest CRT shaders to recreate what I saw with CRT Super XBR and HSM Potato Super XBR ? Heartfelt thanks for the help

So, if I’m not mistaken from what I’ve extrapolated reading various forum posts, if I use the native resolution the Super XBR CRT is also fine for mixed games like Tekken 2 on PSX, or Super Mario on N64. If instead I increase the internal resolution, I have to resort to the Super * XBR 3D presets, where * equals the resolution multiplier, right?

Another thing you can do is increasing internal resolution and also downsample it in the core options, so you can use any shaders that works with native res and have “better” looking 3d things at the same time.

in swanstation there is a downsampling option you can set to Box and in beetleHw there is something similar, they both work well.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Hari-82 advice (and for the preset above), but also for performance reasons I preferred to avoid this solution. If the super XBR CRT can work on native resolutions of games like Tekken or Resident Evil, to name a few, I can use the anti-aliasing on 3D (which I’ve already tested and weighs less on me in terms of performance) and “my personal remastered” is served. I don’t understand if the super xbr can do it in native resolution or do I have to resort to the super *XBR 3D with relative resolution increase (and for me it would be a problem).

xbr/z should work at native resolution, I don’t use them much because they alter too much the look of 2d things and also on textures but is just a matter of taste I guess. Did you try the koko-aio presets? they are very light on resources and have a nice look I just tried one with beetle (software) at native res without anything else:

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I was hoping for. Through the use of the “CRT Super XBR” and “HSM Potato Super XBR” presets (and helping me with the antialiasing with 3D things) I’m looking for a “Remaster but not too much” style to complement the classic retro shaders. The koko-aio, which is the work of our compatriot, is a great alternative in this sense, and is one of the few shaders that can handle games like Marvel VS Capcom 2, and does very well with console emulating cores heavier. I follow your thread a lot. Thanks for the help and advice, you’re very kind.

2 Likes

Hello,

Really sorry to bump this topic, but I was wondering if the link for crt-super-xbr-ambient-glow could be reupload? I’ve been trying out different shaders but have been struggling to find one that suits me, and this one looks really promising.