Crt monitor, what can I expect?

Yes, the static 240p modeline thing works well for old non-interlaced stuff, but once you hit the interlacing era, it’s a big problem. That’s another reason I typically recommend people do ultrawide 480p modelines with tvout-tweaks+interlacing shader.

The Switchres option(s) can also handle creating and switching to interlaced modelines, which is really cool.

Re: 31 khz, if you’re running on a PC monitor, it’s always 31 khz (this is why we run at 120 fps instead of 60: to get the scan rate where the monitor will accept it). 15 khz isn’t as sharp, though and the scanlines are more round-looking at the edges. 3840 vs 2560 doesn’t matter much/any, tbh. 3840 has a few more common resolutions that it’s an exact integer multiple of, but I haven’t found that to be an issue even at 1920.

Yes, in Linux it works perfectly and is easy, it has a lot of info on the web.

I know, but it keeps giving an error, it’s a version problem or something like that, it can be solved but this body asks for easy things.

Yes, it is a bit limited, until now the best option is 640x480 + tvout-tweaks + interlacing, the only bad thing are some arcade games like Mortal Kombat. And what do you need such wide resolutions for?

I suspected that it was not doing anything on a monitor, I imagine that the 15Khz is to connect it to a TV. The 1920 resolution had not been tested, if you notice a difference, it softens the blurring of the pixels and the mask shows a little, it looks more pleasant to the eye in my opinion. I took photos of them, but they are very little appreciated.Captura de pantalla de 2021-03-09 23-32-02

I will try those multiple resolutions later when I spare myself a little time, because the truth is not complicated to do it (at least in linux).

The wide resolutions hide non-integer scaling artifacts (usually in the form of “shimmering” during horizontal scrolling). CRTs don’t care about horizontal resolution, just vertical, so if you make a super-wide resolution and then stretch your game to fit, it will look like it’s scaled perfectly, even when it’s not.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the help. :+1:t3:

From my experience with a 1600x1200 CRT the super smooth motion is a more important defining feature than scan-lines. I’ve tried the techniques hunterk described and I prefer running at 1600x1200 using the interlace shader and adjusted the scaling per core. (Scanlines are shaper with lower resolutions but not “better”, just different.)

If you use a shader like Venom you can get away with non perfect scaling and have the fun of using the NTSC variant or adding the GTU passes to it can get a composite and s-video image that looks true to the original hardware.

1 Like

A 1200 Venon is good, slight setbacks and something very similar can be done. One of my favorites is crt-hyllian-glow, disabling the last two.

1 Like

I’ll also add: I’ve found if you disable all the cropping of overscan in the Core options, (when available) you can leave your resolution at it’s native aspect ratio with that core. That is if you don’t mind staring at the junk pixels on the borders.

Nope, it’s horrible! It is also the same as activating the Integer Scale. The image is displayed in its original size.

@hunterk I just described a great trick. With bilinear filter (within video settings) activated. Interlacing reproduces beautifully at 240p

2 Likes

With my crts, I have discovered that 2d systems like nes, snes etc looks best at only 240p. 3d systems like ps1 and n64 looks best at 240p with some blur shader before the monitor cuts up the image. Pre - rendered games looks so smooth. And 3d scenes / games as well.

I have an opportunity to get a Panasonic Quintrix 28". Does anyone know if it is anything to have for retro? It looks like 16:9 on the images, isnt that a hd crt then? I have heard bad stuff about those. The model name is TX-28DK1F

From what I understand, PAL-land had a number of 16:9 standard-def TVs, while all of the 16:9 TVs in USA were HD/1080i. I don’t know if this display falls into the former category, but it seems fairly likely.

Even if it’s not capable of 240p without scaling, the HD CRTs are completely awesome for Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii-era gaming.

2 Likes

Thanks. I looked up the user manual and sure, it was 16:9. I did not even consider it might not support 240p. I have decided to skip it.

1 Like

I have a Bang Olufsen MX 7000 to be mine for about $120. Not sure if its worth it? I kinda want a slot mask look, will that one do it you think?

Yes, that should be a great one. It’s one of the models I hear the most about, outside of Sonys.

What refresh rate will work on a regular tv? Not 120hz will it? Thats the thing, I am kinda used to 120hz so Id rather not go lower. Doesnt a eu crt tv only do 50hz?

I don’t have any experience with EU TVs, personally, but apparently most will do 60 Hz just fine. They will not to much higher than 60 Hz, though.

I don’t have a problem with 60 Hz, but 50 Hz (esp interlaced) gets pretty unpleasant.

Most EU CRT TVs will do 60 Hz fine, it should be pretty much standard for anything at least made in the 90s. Some of the later TVs (probably common with those 16:9 ones) do 100 Hz default. I don’t have experience with these, but it’s not the same as on a CRT VGA monitor. There’s conflicting info around, at a minimum, you’re supposed to have problems with lightguns. Possibly scrolling issues (some blur), image processing with no scanlines, whatever.

There are probably some interesting cases out there, for example some models from Metz apparently take VGA / 480p over SCART. Usually, TV models with interesting features were more pricey and bigger, so that’s unfortunate, or else I would just get one like the 480p LCD EDTV I got a few months ago.