Crt monitor, what can I expect?

To be clear tho, just because your tv does component doesn’t mean it does 480p, not all component displays support it.

Fair points all round tho.

Thanks for share photo, now I can achieve same result with shader on 1080p LCD screen using subpixels.

(Photo of screen, not screenshot)

(eye and blue line between eye almost identical)

3 Likes

Very cool. Looks like a crt on the photo. Maybe it looks different if you would compare them irl? I dont know. I wouldnt be able to say “that is a shader” from that photo at least.

Up close the shader kinda falls apart, but at a sufficient distance it looks very similar to a Trinitron TV. I would increase the black line width over bright pixels though.

Really, all CRT shaders depend on viewing distance because we’re trying to replicate subpixel details with limited resolution. If you want something that looks identical in a side by side comparison you need retina resolution (unable to see the pixels no matter how close you get to the screen).

If you use the right settings and focus the camera juuuust right you can make the LCD subpixels look very similar to crt phosphors.

Photo of LCD screen:

1 Like

Could a 5k monitor with DSR x4 native resolution in nvidia control panel emulate slot mask properly. I am planing to buy a 5k monitor for this.

1 Like

4K and up is sufficient for emulating an average TVL slot mak, such as those used in arcade monitors and most TVs.

1 Like

I tried it on 4k monitor but looks better when view from far. If I see close to my 4k monitor it does not look as good. I wanted to know if with a 5k monitor crt shaders would look good even if I am looking at it from 2 feet away.

1 Like

What you want is to see crt mask details up close without being able to see the lcd pixels.

You need retina resolution for this. At 4K, screens up to 21" should be good. At 5K you can go up to 27", at 6K 32".

1 Like

Thank you. So soon I am gonna buy a 27 5k monitor. Do you think DSR upscaling would make it even better when it increases 5k to 4x resolution?

I’m not familiar enough with it, but I think this only benefits 4k content on a lower resolution display.

I don’t know enough of it also. But I did tried it on a 1080p monitor with crt shaders and it upscale to 8k resolution and it look much better than native 1080p.

1 Like

It depends on what you’re trying to do. I can’t see how it would help with screen door effect, though.

To me slot mask and shadow mask look better upscale versus native in 1080p monitor.

1 Like

Needed a new laptop so bought a 14 inch 4k ips hdr with thunderbolt 3. I am planning on buying Razer Core X Aluminum External GPU Enclosure (eGPU) . out of all these gpu supported by Razer core X, what is the cheapest gpu that can handle all crt shaders well in 4k from the list below ?.

Windows 10 Compatible Graphics Chipsets Compatible NVIDIA® graphics chipsets:

Geforce™ RTX 30 Series
GeForce™ Titan RTX Series
Geforce™ RTX 20 Series
GeForce™ Titan GTX Series
Geforce™ GTX 16 Series
Geforce™ GTX 10 Series
Geforce™ GTX 980 Ti – GTX 750
Quadro® RTX Series
Quadro® P Series

Please verify graphics card is under max dimensions above.

Compatible AMD graphics chipsets:

Radeon ™ RX 5000 Series
Radeon ™ RX Vega Series
Radeon ™ RX 500 Series
Radeon ™ R9 Series
Radeon ™ Pro Series

8k ?for me yes the 4k is enough I don’t even use the rec709 at full contrast just 70 to 80… with the bfi… my oled is the panasonic ez950 1000 nits… then if i force the hdr to retroarch??? i will have to be at 30 in contrast…no need for 10000nits… anyone can see it on my videos… users with a lcd4k tv not oled, not qled, confirmed me that everything is in its place no need to be at the maximum of rec709 and even less in hdr… see you soon

screenshoots shader games

read video description for correct viewing. bfi on / my shader compensates for loss of brightness 70=contrast and brightness= 70 normal color mode, color = 50 rec2020 panasonic oled4k hdr tv range retroarch standard mode rec 709

FINAL FANTASY7 PSX BETTLE HW CUSTOM SHADER SONY TRINITRON FOR OLED4K WIP

ALUNDRA PSX ON OLED 4K WITH RETROARCH AND CUSTOM SHADER CRT

RETROGAMING WITH RETROARCH ON 4k OLED TV ( custom wip shader)

I’m not sure what you’re replying to. . anyway, I don’t have a 4k display to test your settings.

Whats going on here? :thinking:

Just some new images :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Might as well drop some pics I took some time ago from my 15":

Usually, the mask is way more prominent than scanlines, but they’re a bit better to see in this shot:

5 Likes

2 Likes