Crt monitor, what can I expect?

I’m pretty sure they mislabeled it in the posting, as from the picture and a judging it against a recent pickup on my end, it was more likely a 26-28" model tbh.

Still weighs a damn tonne though!

Check out the Sony PVM-4300, that thing was absolutely insane…weighed over 440lb!

Some images from my b&o mx 7000 looks different irl but I tried to capture some of it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Looks fantastic, especially the first image. Love seeing close-ups of slot masks. I’m guessing that’s 500-600 TVL?

2 Likes

Yes same here :slight_smile: I have the tv very close to the sofa so I can take a good look when I want to :slight_smile: I never knew it was possible to sit too close to a crt (15khz crt) without getting headache. It was just the horrible composite signal flickering that made it unbearable too close back in the days. RGB >/< HDMI. Its not the resolution that makes it, its the signal.

I dont know how many tv lines its got. It is a MX 7000 Bang & O.

Let me take some more close ups for you.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Fun fact, to emulate this properly (without fudging the phosphor shape and emulating the black space between triads), you’d need 5k resolution or 12x scale. 4K isn’t enough for a slot mask of this pitch.

Really nice find, man.

3 Likes

Thanx. Well that is a shame. I hope technology has evolved enough and is not too expensive the day when crts no longer work, so one can buy a modern tv and actually emulate this look. On the other hand, I have only once in my lifetime seen a crt actually break down. And this tv seem to be in a good shape, no sudden clicks or wierd stuff happening to the image. As oppose to my Diamondtron that sadly looses the image over maybe half a second and then comes back. Happens maybe once every 25h - 30h or something like that.

1 Like

About your diamondtron, have you changed any caps or resistors? Also when is the last time it was cleaned out (the chassis)?

Shots of the monitor are Bang-ing, god that was a horrible pun. But the shots are great man thanks for sharing!

I’m currently hunting locally for one of thos “HD” CRTs, wanting to use it for indie games, just hoping the lag isn’t too horrible.

Thanx, glad you like them. I have not opened it, no. I dont have the knowledge, tools or guts to do that myself. And I know of no one who can do it for me.

I dont know how it is in the country you live in, but I have found all my crts on facebook marketplace. Seems to be easiest there, at least in my country. I just missed a sony trinitron with like one day, found the b&o the day after. Try it!

1 Like

Fair fair man, I’d be sketch about opening one myself lol.

I’m in the US, just don’t have a Facebook, I’ll force a family member into it ROFL.

I passed on a smaller Trinitron recently because it only had composite in wanted like $40 for it. (I really need component in, and I already own two CRTs that are larger screen wise, that both have component in :joy:)

Yeah no skip composite only. I tried composite on this b&o before I got thr vga to rgb adapter. It looked avsolutely horrible. In every way. White flickered like it was 20hz, bad colors, bad sharpness, it really looked like garbage. Just remember that scart can also be rgb. But, now I am not sure you in the usa have scart?

1 Like

If I was brave I could’ve probably got rbg out of the Trinitron, but I don’t wanna die atm, well not that much ROFL.

We (USA) didn’t really get scart, we got rf, svideo, composite, vga, component, (rgb on fancy stuff).

Normal consumer wise, VGA and component were the cheapest and best looking imho. (RGB is nice( r ), but expensive or diy only :joy:)

So if a good crt (not vga monitor) here has rgb, what does it have in the us then? Component?

Ye afaik, I’m not sure if any consumer (non-PVM/BVM CRTs) did rgb in the US, I’d have to look more into it though.

Highest our (US) consumer displays did afaik was component/VGA. (Which I think you can kinda fudge rgb out of a VGA port)

Yes, I have, from my pc - Dvi-d -> vga -> scart rgb

2 Likes

But isnt component technicly better than rgb?

no, it’s a relative of RGB, but it’s in the YIQ colorspace, where Y is luma and IQ is chroma. It has half of the color bandwidth of RGB, as well.

2 Likes

Ye what hunter said :joy:

Sorry was eating lol

Various consumer computer monitors provided (analogue 15 Khz) RGB also in the US, the Commodore ones for the Amiga were probably common. They have their own connectors, but usually there are adapters for e.g. Scart available.

Component connections are better than standard Scart RGB connections in the sense that they also are used to provide 480p and above signals. The Scart connector can also provide those, but it’s the exception.