Crt-Royale Kurozumi Edition Help

[QUOTE=∞Phantasm;41465]@Kurozumi Please post the updated settings when/if you are done… if you are working on improving this. Thanks! .[/QUOTE]

Settings got updated today, just use the online updater, update the shaders and load the preset again! Gamma quirks and weird colors are gone now, so colors should look much more natural now, hope you all like it :slight_smile:

As you know it is very hard to capture the true quality of a CRT…I tried my best with what I had tonight. I also have a terrible Lumia as the other phone/camera is not near me.

There was a small amount of dust on my PVM since I spent most the day at the arcade and just finished setting up my game room when I got home…sorry about that ( =

Next time I will use a much better camera and minimize some of the factors.

I will always use my CRT and have love for them but this shader is certainly worth using as well and I do like it!

Great work and the love put into it really shows!

Next time I will use more games and a camera that is WAY better ( =

RA

Sony PVM

RA

Sony PVM

RA

Sony PVM

RA

Sony PVM

RA

Sony PVM

Sony PVM

1 Like

Wow! That is indeed a lot closer to the real deal than I could ever imagine. … looks very very nice!! :smiley:

Thanks for showing the pics and taking your time!!!

That are nice comparison pics, thanks !

[QUOTE=Bytestorm;41657]Wow! That is indeed a lot closer to the real deal than I could ever imagine. … looks very very nice!! :smiley:

Thanks for showing the pics and taking your time!!![/QUOTE]

It’ll look much closer again, if you have a resolution of 3840x2160 or higher (2160p / 4k / Retina or more), then it gets really interesting!

Np ^ and Kurozumi I could personally say out of all the shaders I have tried over the years…I like the one you all have posted that goes after the high end CRT look.

I should have a much better camera available later today and can hopefully take some better comparisons with different games at some point.

Great job though to everyone involved in trying to keep the CRT look alive on modern tech.

[QUOTE=Kurozumi;41664]That are nice comparison pics, thanks !

It’ll look much closer again, if you have a resolution of 3840x2160 or higher (2160p / 4k / Retina or more), then it gets really interesting![/QUOTE]

Yeah I bet it will, but then the price of the components will blow my budget :(… as far as I understand at least.

I am going for a mATX build based on i3-6100… but it’s over 10 years ago since I last bought a GPU so I have a really hard time choosing the right one to give me perfect crt-royale performance without being to much overkill. (Hopefully a GPU around 150~200$)

@RainMK, i basically did it, because i have no space for a big BVM here. Thanks for the kudos :slight_smile: . I think it’s cool, too, if you can use any digital display type in any size, and boom, it’s “right and works” . And lets face it, at some point in the future, the BVMs and PVMs will be worn out / dead, and you won’t be able to fix them :frowning:

@Bytestorm, i’m going for a “240p RA machine build”, too, but i got no idea which GPU i should use, too. AFAIK CRT-Royale needs a decent gpu to run, but i got no idea, what’s the smallest GPU it runs it flawlessly!

Probably something like a GTX 770/680 on sale / second hand would be best in that price range. The 960 has a slower memory bus which makes me wonder how it’ll perform.

Is direct computing relevant at all for shader performance? http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html

Something else that’s important to keep in mind: a slower cpu will struggle when using Hard GPU Sync.

I’m on an i5-3570K@4GHz & GTX 770 playing Kirby’s Dreamland 3 on bsnes-mercury-balanced with CRT-geom + NTSC signal shader. The game slows down and stutters at Hard Sync 0. Rising it to 1 frame seems OK.

Same test with Snes9x-Next: no problem with Hard Sync 0.

Actually I made a profile for Retroarch in Nvida panel to force performance in power management like Kurozumi mentioned before and that fixed that performance issue. Kurozumi profile and that NTSC shader now work with GPU hard sync 0.

That’s difficult to know what is the limiting factor sometimes.

edit: As I am curious I decided to test my computer energy consumption with this setting. I used Super Mario Bros with Nestopia, shader CRT geom, GPU Hard sync 0.

Nvidia profile “Optimal Power” (default) : 95W “Prefer Maximum Performance” : 145W.

Everything runs fine.

Same with CRT Royale Kurozumi:

Nvidia profile “Optimal Power” (default) : start 145W then stabilize around 105W “Prefer Maximum Performance” : 145W.

Runs fine.

Bsnes-mercury balanced with CRT Royale Kurozumi:

Nvidia profile “Optimal Power” (default) : 95W and stutters / doing alt+TAB twice-> full speed 110W “Prefer Maximum Performance” : 150W works fine.

Strange behaviour.

When I use Bsnes-mercury balanced with CRT-Geom Nvidia Default it’s at 100W, so that’s probably just the cost of more CPU power vs Nestopia. But then this 95W and stuttering happening with Royale + Nvidia standard profile looks rather strange.

The most difficult to run core / shader combination with GPU hard sync 0 for myself always was bsnes-accuracy with CRT-royale. And i always was confused, why it didn’t run properly (OC GTX780 + OC 4770k here), that always confused me. Started CPU, HW and GPU monitors, and noticed, the stuttering happened everytime the GPU reclocked to a slower speed. Then i tried the profile thing, and boom, works :wink:

Hi, I’am French so sorry for my bad English

@]Bytestorm

I have an HD5770 and I can use CRT-Royale Kuruzomi edition without problem in 1080p for SNES and GENESIS games N64 and PSX too, just like said Tatsuya79 put Hard sync to 1 If you can wait a little maybe RX480 or RX470 is a good way ( I wait for these cards )

@Kurozumi

I have a little problem with some game with your settings with Integerscale : off, I use Retroarch on my TV 1080p

Scanlines are not good, but it’s true your setting are very good I have just a problem with scanlines

With Integerscale: on I have no problem but the screen is windowed and if I wan’t to scale to have a full screen I have problem because my Tv it is not 16/10 but 16/9

Any ideas or a setting to reduce that ?

I take a screenshot direct from Retroarch if you can see in fullscreen you will see wrong scanlines

Thanks for all and your settings

Sorry again for my bad English I wish you understand me

Uneven scanlines are just a fact of non-integer scaling.

Yes it’s true

With integerscale I can put a custom config 1440*896 it is not a true resolution but I have no uneven scanline

Is a TV 4K is better for that or same things with scanlines

4K (2160p) is an exact integer multiple (9x) of 240, so you can get even scanlines with fullscreen and ‘crop overscan’ disabled. This means you’ll still have small black borders (or filled with garbage pixels/colors) that would normally appear in the overscan area, but even with crop overscan + integer scaling enabled, the borders will be smaller than on a 1080p display.

[QUOTE=Kurozumi;41669]@RainMK, i basically did it, because i have no space for a big BVM here. Thanks for the kudos :slight_smile: . I think it’s cool, too, if you can use any digital display type in any size, and boom, it’s “right and works” . And lets face it, at some point in the future, the BVMs and PVMs will be worn out / dead, and you won’t be able to fix them :frowning:

@Bytestorm, i’m going for a “240p RA machine build”, too, but i got no idea which GPU i should use, too. AFAIK CRT-Royale needs a decent gpu to run, but i got no idea, what’s the smallest GPU it runs it flawlessly![/QUOTE]

I use the lowest end alienware alpha i3 from last year with 4gb of ram and the custom nvidia 2gb GPU. I think it’s a 860M. The model is “ASM100-1580”. It runs your shader very well at 1080p. I have no issues with the 5400 rpm stock drive. Bluetooth works great. The complete system can be had for around $300 usd on ebay. The system can also play dolphin Ishiiruka wii at full speed upressed to 1080p. I have not tried 5.0 yet.

I use this system with hard gpu sync on and Bsnes blanaced and it runs great.

I am always looking for the best small formfactor and affordable emulation box. So far, as the older alphas go down in price they still seem like a great option.

CRT-royal-kurozumi preset doesn’t work fo me. I’ve looked into the preset file and found that I don’t have pictures which are needed for preset to work.

mask_grille_texture_small = “…/crt/shaders/crt-royale/TileableLinearApertureGrille15Wide8And5d5SpacingResizeTo64.png” mask_grille_texture_large = “…/crt/shaders/crt-royale/TileableLinearApertureGrille15Wide8And5d5Spacing.png” mask_slot_texture_small = “…/crt/shaders/crt-royale/TileableLinearSlotMaskTall15Wide9And4d5Horizontal9d14VerticalSpacingResizeTo64.png” mask_slot_texture_large = “…/crt/shaders/crt-royale/TileableLinearSlotMaskTall15Wide9And4d5Horizontal9d14VerticalSpacing.png” mask_shadow_texture_small = “…/crt/shaders/crt-royale/TileableLinearShadowMaskEDPResizeTo64.png” mask_shadow_texture_large = “…/crt/shaders/crt-royale/TileableLinearShadowMaskEDP.png”

Updating shaders pack didn’t help. Where can I actually get them?

they should be in there… Is your preset still in the cgp directory? It assumes that the preset lives there and the other crt-royale stuff lives the in the crt directory.

OK. It looks like it’s a bug with RA itself according to this thread http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6069 I’ve updated and now the preset works just fine. However still I don’t have the pictures mentioned above. Some kind of mystery.

Maybe try a nightly version of RA? Sorry i’m clueless about this one, but that’s the first thing, that comes into my mind.

If it works, the images are there, you must just be looking in the wrong place. If they weren’t there, the shader would fail to load.