Crt-Royale Kurozumi Edition Help

Your GPU doesn’t have enough registers to compile the shader program. Nothing to be done about that except get a new GPU.

Ah OK, running on a surface pro 4, being overly optimistic then. Thanks for prompt reply. While I’m here, do you or anyone have a “low overhead” recommendation for something fairly similar?

There aren’t any that look like this one but there are some other nice CRT shaders that are definitely worth checking out.

Using this shader on NES, and I have to assume anything else… when there is a game that is scrolling up or down vertically, you don’t seem to see the scanlines. I was just curious if there was a way to fix that? It just takes away from the realistic-ness of the shader. Not entirely sure why it happens or if it has anything to do with monitor, XXhz, or resolution… or maybe it’s an optical illusion, lol. I thought the shaders were stationary and overlay on top of the game, so it makes me think it’s more of an optical illusion… or whatever you would call that. I’m on LCD, 60hz, 1080p, 47" inches

Pretty sure that’s an optical illusion. Try taking a screenshot and see if they’re still there.

When I take a screenshot, RetroArch pauses for a split second to save the file… but yeah, I do think it’s some type of natural LCD motion blur-looking illusion. I’m curious if everyone sees the same thing on their monitor. It could just be because mine is 47 inches and I notice more of the little details like that, especially when it’s a few feet away.

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to make this shader run on Odroid XU4 please? The standard shader doesn’t load up at all.

I don’t think you can get the Cg toolkit on Odroid, so it’d have to be GLSL and the script-conversion of this shader doesn’t work, so I believe the answer for now is: no.

Understood. Why would it be in the Odroid Lakka distribution then? Just for reference?

I’ve been using kurozomi shader settings via the online updater in retroarch on my pc. My tv is a 1920x1080 LED, that said are there some settings you guys typically tweak in this shader? It looks a bit sharp/harsh sometimes and the scanlines strain my eyes. I’m curious if there are any settings/tweaks you think i should do to get optimum look.

also is it meant to be with integer scaling on?

Yeah it’s meant to have integer scaling on.

As far as the sharp / harsh look goes it is a preset based on Royale which while it can obviously be used on a 1080 display it really shines and looks much better on higher resolution displays (4K). The pixel density is what makes it look so much better at those resolutions. I used the Kurozumi on a 1080 resolution monitor before and I was fine with it but since upgrading to a 1440 monitor it looks better. There may be a setting or 2 to tweak but that’s beyond my abilities.

At 1080 if you find it too sharp or harsh you may want to look into another shader like Easymode-Halation or some other til you find one that suits your taste and display.

[QUOTE=lordmonkus;44790]Yeah it’s meant to have integer scaling on.

As far as the sharp / harsh look goes it is a preset based on Royale which while it can obviously be used on a 1080 display it really shines and looks much better on higher resolution displays (4K). The pixel density is what makes it look so much better at those resolutions. I used the Kurozumi on a 1080 resolution monitor before and I was fine with it but since upgrading to a 1440 monitor it looks better. There may be a setting or 2 to tweak but that’s beyond my abilities.

At 1080 if you find it too sharp or harsh you may want to look into another shader like Easymod-Halation or some other til you find one that suits your taste and display.[/QUOTE]

yah that makes sense thx, jeez now im gonna need a 4k tv to play nes! lol

Lol, you can go with a 4K TV if you want. I chose to go with a 1440 G-Sync (or Freesync if you are and AMD user) gaming monitor and I am extremely happy with it.

I’m running both an Nvidia Shield TV and Intel NUC at 4Kp60 on Samsung 4KTV’s. Trying to get my head around CRT shaders and integer scaling. Is It possible to have integer scaling on without any black borders due to the perfect integer scaling from 240p? What should be the optimal settings I should use? Does the setting really have to be per core…or even per game!?:slight_smile:️ Or is there a solid compromise? Can the settings be the same across Android and Windows? Apologies for all the questions, in the end I agree it’s like wine…all subjective.

Many Thanks!

With ‘crop overscan’ disabled, all of the cores will take up approximately 240 px. However, roughly 16 px of that is in the overscan area and won’t have anything useful in it. Sometimes, this space is just black (most SNES games), sometimes it’s full of single colors or garbage pixels (Sega Genesis and NES, respectively). It’s up to you whether you prefer that kind of random detritus over small black borders. Personally, I prefer the black borders. Yes, turning on integer scaling and crop overscan is the same on Windows and Android and it should be fine across all games and cores, though there are some cores where the overscan-cropping functionality has been moved to a core option, so you’ll have to set it there (mednafen-psx, genesis plus gx and nestopia are all like that, IIRC, and maybe FCEUMM and a few others…?).

Would your autorotate shaders work with the MAME core?

yeah, that’s what I made them for.

I’d like to try them.

hi guys, i’m new for retroarch and I want to apply the filter like Sony crt published in the first postbut I have some doubts.

First of all, running bsnes_accuracy, if i select shaders = crt_royale.cfg, the image is cropped at the left and right when I enlarge the screen. Why? Probably i have to modify Custom viewport Width and Height from default values to 1920 and 1080 respectively? But i see that the value Height = 1080 isn’t available…but my lcd is a fullhd monitor 1920*1080 so how can I set up it correctly? Now i set Width = 1920 and Height =1200… Now I set Use FullScreen Mode = ON so in this way the screen is not cropped, but i don’t know if this is the right way…

And i’m sorry but i haven’t understood how i can create the modified crt_royale modded like in the first post in this topic :frowning: Can you explain how can I do exaclty?

thank you very much

Hey question about this shader and crt shaders in general.

I just tried this with Actraiser 2 on SNES. At the start you are hovering over a Mode 7 landscape and can scroll in any direction. When scrolling vertically, the scanline effect seems to disappear. I am on a 1080p monitor and I tried integer scale on/off and a variety of crt shaders. Is this a limitation of shaders or how a normal crt monitor would look?