CRT shader for high-res content?

Looking for something to use with Dreamcast or any other console and game that might have 640x480 internal resolution.

Geom has the interlaced scanlines but these flicker a lot, is there a way to simulate the scanlines of a 640x480 CRT monitor?

crt-easymode with disabled interlacing in the shader options.

That doesn’t look good, the horizontal effects are uneven

Ecco%20the%20Dolphin%20-%20Defender%20of%20the%20Future%20(USA)-191221-153440

Use integer scaling. Also try different mask types in the shader parameters.

integer scaling removes any horizontal effects completely and leaves only the vertical ones.

Is that the intended look?

Edit: Mask 6 seems to be OK. Integer scale makes the screen too small though.

Anyway, thanks!

If you can’t use integer scaling due to your display’s resolution resulting in a small image, then try crt-hylian instead. It still looks good even without integer scaling.

Hylian looks just as bad unfortunately

I’ll just use the system without any scanlines.

Geom with the flickering scanlines is what you would expect from a real CRT TV, but you can turn the flickering off with the “interlacing simulation” parameter.

I think royale might have a toggle for it, as well.

Ι know but when i toggle interlace OFF the image becomes low-res, breaking a lot of fine details and text.

If you’re using a 1080p monitor, why not try 5x vertical integer scale? This crops the image somewhat, but the entire “crt safe zone” is still displayed. CRTs would crop up to 20% of the image (10% off the top/bottom and 10% off the sides), so developers avoided putting important info outside of the “safe zone.”

I tried that not long ago and it cuts too much space, much more than the usual overscan.

It works fine for games where you start with 224 as the vertical resolution. If you’re starting with 240, I agree that the overscan can seem excessive. However, it’s actually still within the technical specifications for CRTs.

240 x 5 = 1200

1200 * .10 = 120

1200 - 120 = 1080.

So it’s cropping the maximum allowable amount while still displaying the entire “safe area.”

5x scale works fine with NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. Arcade games are a bit of a problem at 5x scale because arcade games ignored the “safe area” and the monitors were calibrated to display the entire image.

It’s Dreamcast aka 480p

I think the normal connection from Dreamcast was 480i but with the VGA cable it was capable of 480p providing you had a compatible monitor.

If it was my set up, I would use Geom w/ interlacing on, but that’s because when I owned my my Dreamcast I had 480i on my standard consumer TV.

That’s how I remember it.

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

oops…

yeah, in that case you’re stuck with 960 as the vertical height if using integer scale (on a 1080p display).

1 Like

Try something like this:

You would need to increase the rendering resolution to help the downscale look better.

1 Like

Can this work with the slang stock shader? I remember having issues with it.