Crt Shaders integer scaling on or off?

You could scale them 4x5. That gives you 1536x1120. I tried this yesterday, those games seem to cut off a bit more vital things than Neo Geo though.

1 Like

Ah, the 5x/6x is based on 256x240. If you load up, say, snes9x and set it up there as a global option, it should stay like that for the other systems, as well.

1 Like

I’ll test some things in a few.

So the rule of thumb (inaccurate, lol) here is to increase my x multiple, one higher then the multiple for my y(6x/5x) for maintaining 4:3 while removing shimmering?

@Jamirus Thanks, I’ll test it later today.

EDIT: Got out a calculator and answered some of my own questions so cleaned this up some.

That’s right, 6x5 will work for 256x224 modes with a ratio like NES/SNES. E.g. for Genesis, it would only work for a minority of games, since most use a 320x224 base.

1 Like

I love that ps1 stays basically full screen lol looks real good for 3 d games like ffix. Im using the denoiser crt br shader looks perfect. So for gba what should be the scale? 6x and 5x? Also for Genesis when i scale 6x and 5x i also get full screen no bars using the genesis gx core. Thanks a lot for the help by the way you guys are awesome!!

1 Like

Here ya go!

Tldr; On 1080p use 6x6 (1440x960) minor black bar at top/bottom. Use 7x7 (1680x1120) for cutoff top and bottom graphics.

Lmao i didnt even read that comment lol thanks man!

1 Like

This is what I’ve been doing for years. 6x5 is very close to a 4:3 ratio and takes advantage of the full vertical width of the screen. Whatever gets cropped is outside of the “safe area” for CRTs.

Then I eventually realized I could set the X axis to a custom non-integer value so that it’s an exact 4:3 ratio (for example, 1494 x 1120). Blur/scaling from shaders will completely hide the non-integer scaling artifacts on the x-axis resulting from this, and the scanlines will be perfect.

For the vast majority of games/systems I use either 1494 x 1120 or 1600 x 1200. Cropping 120 pixels off of 1200 still displays the entire CRT safe area. The only time you might run into issues with this is with arcade games, which often ignored the safe area since this was a broadcast/TV thing.

EDIT: It can be somewhat annoying to set this within Retroarch as you then have to reposition the window. It’s easier to just add this line to the core’s config file:

custom_viewport_width = “1494”

2 Likes

I been using retroarch for so long and never knew about this integer scaling lol this is awesome. Love it!! I noticed on ps1 when i use 6x and 5x it cuts a bit in the lower part nothing major tho.

2 Likes

What settings are you using for x/y positions? As it uncentered with these settings.

EDIT: I’ve been ninja’d.

1 Like

@Syh

There might be an issue with Genesis Plus GX; can you try saving a core-specific config for Genesis Plus GX and add this line:

custom_viewport_width = “1494”

That should be all it needs but it keeps defaulting the x axis to 0 when I do this.

1 Like

It’ll be a bit as I’m not on my PC at the moment.

1 Like

Nvm, I just re-did my configs and now it’s working fine :stuck_out_tongue: Carry on…

1 Like

Is there any overlay i can use for 6x6 gba?

Last time I played some GBA stuff, I used the gba landscape animated overlay at 4x integer. Since the GBA has that physical black border around the screen, it’s kinda pointless to put a realistic overlay around the game image unless there’s a lot of extra space.

1 Like

Thanks! I guess i’ll try that!

In case you are interested the Mega Bezel Shader does a lot of this kind of scaling and can give you a onscreen debug information about current screen size, integer scale multiples and final aspect ratio. So even if you don’t want to use the shader it can let you try out different sizes & integer scales easily.

I’ll probably add some options in the future to show what the retroarch custom aspect ratio values would be to help interactively figure out what you want

You can find the shader in the link below. There is a preset called hsm-mega-screen-scale-dr-guest-venom.slang that you can use if you want something which runs faster without any of the generated bezel stuff

6 Likes

Very nice features! Which mask/shader is being used in that Super Metroid shot?

It’s Guest-DrVenom with default settings except for using mask #7 and Slot Mask Strength 0.5

2 Likes

Wow that bezel shader looks awesome! I can’t get it to work tho, it says ‘‘Failed to load shader…’’ Not sure what am i doing wrong.

EDIT : Never mind got it to work! Looks really good, Nice work man! Thanks!

1 Like