CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

According to RTINGS, my TV can do about 630nits. That should be easy for a good quality IPS, QDLED, VA or Mini-LED TV.

So I would try to get a display that can do at least that or if not very close to that.

Since you’ll be buying a new TV, if you’re not going for OLED, you might as well try to get something with an RGB Subpixel Layout.

Another thing you might look for would be VRR/GSYNC/FREESYNC and at least 120Hz refresh rate with BFI.

My TV doesn’t even have most all of things and I have a pretty decent experience but you might as well get the most you can when you can.

You can also try to determine the optimal screen size for your room and viewing distance.

There are resources available on the internet to help you to determine all of these things.

Also, make sure your display can do RGB 4:4:4 Full at 4K at your maximum refresh rate.

i think it looks even brighter in person

some of them are with 1000 nits and some of them are with your defaults (and sorry this were done too with ycbcr) bro idk if it is retroarch, or the driver or the tv, but i do actually think this looks better over at ycbcr instead of rgb, rgb looks bad and with pink hue it’s soo weird
1 Like

Yes, that is very weird indeed. Is that the same TCL A527?

Be sure to adjust the Display’s Subpixel Layout in the Shader parameters to the setting that matches and looks best on your display.

You can also try switching the Mask Accurate setting to Colour Accurate.

1 Like

it looks a bit green in mask accurate, it looks fine in color? this is with 500

also is silent hill

Here’s what you can try. Load some of the presets in the Shaders/Shaders_Slang/HDR folder. Those are the default Sony Megatron Presets. See how things look with those after setting your Peak and Paper White Luminance values.

Post your results in the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor thread for the best possible assistance.

This is taken from the first post of the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor thread. You can read what it says about which display types and specs are recommended.

1 Like

Here testing some settings of Cyber ​​the Windowcast core for PCSX2. I used some curved geometry that he previously shared for the Tvch34 overlay. Unfortunately the capture makes the colors look half washed out, but in the real field it looks pretty good.

3 Likes

Glad you could get things to look good and enjoyable! I have to setup PCSX2 with WindowCast someday.

That preset looks a bit strange. The phosphors are a bit stubby and the scanlines a bit thick for the number of scanlines present.

If I’d hazard a guess, I’d say that it looks like the number of scanlines is doubled or double what it’s actually supposed to be or alternatively, the scanline gaps shouldn’t be visible at that resolution.

Can you tell me exactly which preset this is and if you know the resolution, what resolution is this game running at?

I’ve also seen behavior like this in one of my Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor presets when running Daytona USA for Dreamcast.

Can anyone else see the problem?

i have some visible magenta pattern over at cyberlab 4k psx snes

Please tell me which preset pack you’re referring to as there are several now.

Also the exact preset name as I really don’t remember all the names of all my presets off hand.

Without any additional information, this looks like your Display’s Subpixel Layout or Mask Layout could be incorrect for your screen. So you can try the other available options and see If it improves the situation.

Your display must be in a mode that doesn’t scale, process or overscan the image. So “PC Mode” or “Just Scan” mode for example.

It also needs to be in RGB 4:4:4 Full mode.

Also can you take a screenshot of the preset in action and share that as well so that I can see what the shader is actually outputting?

CyberLab CRT-Royale 4K SNES_PSX Sharp and the CyberLab CRT-Royale 4K SNES_PSX, idk how to change it over at royale, over at megatron and guest advanced is pretty easy but not here

1 Like

Thanks. CRT Royale is “supposed” to be compatible with all display subpixel types.

With that said, I think Hyllian did manage to get a reversed Mask Layout for BGR displays.

Another thing to look at could be your aspect ratio setting in RetroArch.

What do your Video–»Scaling settings look like?

1 Like

Just some useful information regarding getting the most out of Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor that I felt should be in one place and easy to locate.

2 Likes

Of course, sorry for the delay in responding, I’ve been a little busy at work these days. The monitor I use is an AORUS FV43U, it has a BGR subpixel division.

Regarding the adjustment it is the following:

#reference “shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__STD__GDV.slangp” HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_EXPLICIT = “1.319300” HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = “89.169907” HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = “1.000000” HSM_CURVATURE_3D_RADIUS = “300.000000” HSM_CURVATURE_3D_VIEW_DIST = “300.000000” HSM_BZL_OPACITY = “0.000000” HSM_FRM_OPACITY = “0.000000” HSM_REFLECT_GLOBAL_AMOUNT = “0.000000”

scangammaoffset = “2.500000”

g_hue_degrees = “-7.000000” wp_temperature = “6500.000000”

GDV_DECONVERGENCE_ON = “0.000000”

g_sat = “0.020000”

post_br = “1.310000”

h_sharp = “5.200000”

GAMMA_INPUT = “2.100000” gamma_out = “2.500000”

bloom = “0.150000” halation = “0.000000”

scan_falloff = “0.250000”

g_crtgamut = “1.000000”

scans = “0.000000” GDV_NOISE_ON = “1.000000”

glow = “0.000000”

masksize = “2.000000”

gsl = “2.000000” scanline1 = “9.000000” scanline2 = “9.000000” beam_min = “1.350000” beam_max = “1.300000”

shadowMask = “6.000000” maskstr = “1.000000”

addnoised = “0.180000” noiseresd = “1.000000”

the resolution of the game is 512x448

sorry if my english is pretty bad, I’m using a translator :frowning:

1 Like

This might work better.

#reference "shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__STD__GDV.slangp"

HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_EXPLICIT = "1.319300" 
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "89.169907" 
HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "1.000000" 
HSM_CURVATURE_3D_RADIUS = "300.000000" 
HSM_CURVATURE_3D_VIEW_DIST = "300.000000" 
HSM_BZL_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_FRM_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_GLOBAL_AMOUNT = "0.000000"
scangammaoffset = "2.500000"

g_hue_degrees = "-7.000000"
wp_temperature = "6500.000000"

GDV_DECONVERGENCE_ON = "0.000000"
g_sat = "0.020000"

post_br = "1.310000"

h_sharp = "5.200000"
GAMMA_INPUT = "2.100000"
gamma_out = "2.500000"

bloom = "0.150000"
halation = "0.000000"

scan_falloff = "0.250000"

g_crtgamut = "1.000000"

scans = "0.000000"
GDV_NOISE_ON = "1.000000"

glow = "0.000000"

masksize = "2.000000"

gsl = "2.000000"
scanline1 = "9.000000"
scanline2 = "9.000000"
beam_min = "1.350000"
beam_max = "1.300000"

shadowMask = "6.000000"
maskstr = "1.000000"

addnoised = "0.180000"
noiseresd = "1.000000"

You might have to refresh my memory a bit.

1 Like

Hi, @Cyber I was wondering if you were working on updating to the latest HSM. I’m interested in your take on the NTSC updates to GDV.

2 Likes

What I would say with a chuckle is that my presets have always aimed to achieve what is now taking place using the new NTSC updates to the GDV. So I’ve probably been able to manage to eek out extra sharpness while maintaining blending and filtering through the use of different workarounds and possibly exotic techniques.

One example is employing the use of Blargg NTSC Filters which I have painstakingly fine tuned to get that balance of sharpness plus filtering which I have always wanted to achieve.

Nonetheless, there are definitely some aspects of my existing presets which should be able to benefit from the improvements, for example maybe the high res fonts in Turbo Duo games when using NTSC Filter Mode 4.

What I’m saying is that my presets have always been probably the some of the sharpest of the sharp so you may not see as much of a difference or an improvent where that is concerned at least compared to other offerings which might be now starting to embrace that style of preset design a little more.

As you can see the new Mega Bezel Reflection Shader already lags behind the latest CRT Guest Advance, please correct me if I’m wrong, so I would hope that eventually things would settle a bit.

So if I do have time, I might update to take advantage of the new updates but I don’t like trying to keep up with the moving goal posts just to say that the version number is higher.

Many times I achieve my goals already through extensive tweaking and workarounds.

Afterwards, things are sometimes improved on the shader end to make these tweaks and workarounds unnecessary and more accessible to others but for me it would be like reformulating my preset to end up with the same or very similar result I had already achieved.

Greetings Cyber! First of all, I want to thank you for the amazing work you do with MegaBezel, your shader packs are my favorites by far. I’m especially in love with Bleeding-and-Transparency, I use it with all the platforms that used CRT. from MS-DOS to PSX through NES, Megadrive or SNES. I use the version that is found in “MBZ_0_Smooth-advance-_Full_Reflections” “4K_Optimized_Presents” My TV screen is a Samsung Q80 of 55", model of 2019 and my question is the following: Would you recommend another shader pack from your collection? I’m very happy with the result of this one (especially for the definition and transparency, fog, etc. effects) but I notice the colors a little dull and with a low brightness. Do you have any advice for me? Thank you very much in advance and I hope that your answer can help other colleagues in a similar situation.

1 Like

Greetings @JavimetalRF!

You’re most welcome. I’m glad I could help.

That should be Blending_and_Transparency.

There is so much variety in all of my preset packs, the intention is for users to play around with and try many presets while looking for the ones which they like.

There is nothing to be lost by loading another preset so why not try them all?

Take the time to read the first post and scroll through the thread. There are many examples in posts featuring screenshots which can also provide some guidance.

I have countless presets which can blend dithering and provide transparency effects in Sega Genesis games so you might be really missing out if all you use are the older stuff.

That TV is begging to take CyberLab Megatron Death To Pixels Preset Pack for a spin.

Feel free to come out of your comfort zone then come back if you require more assistance.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your extensive and detailed answer! I realized today that my PC was not activating the game mode of my TV and everything has changed a lot, the lighting and the color saturation have improved a lot. This is amazing. Still, I’m going to try other settings, especially the ones you mention from CyberLab Megatron Death to Pixel. You are very kind, we will continue to comment on your fabulous work here.

2 Likes

I tried to test the settings of CyberLab Megatron Death To Pixels but my 1080ti won’t let me enable HDR :cry:

1 Like