CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

Thanks for this.

These look like LG 4K WOLED Panel subpixels. If I’m correct, you should be using Mask Layout 1 if you want the phosphors of the CRT Shader to be perfectly aligned with the Subpixels of the display. That’s why I have some presets named, “…IV OLED”. They already have the correct mask layout applied.

Also “IV OLED” doesn’t mean that those presets are for OLED TVs only. It just means with other displays you have to do your research and make sure you use the correct Mask Layout for your display.

My Neo-GX presets already have the correct layout for LG WOLED TVs.

I just try to setup my presets so that games look good enough for me.

LG is right but its actually a 1440 ips panel. This is with crt mask 10, as set in the psx 1440p preset.

Are you seeing something wrong with how it is displayed there, or are you just saying if i wanted it to be “perfect” professional monitor level crt?

Okay.

Don’t mind this. The only reason I wasn’t 100% sure was because the photo wasn’t very clear. Too much exposure or ISO and there was some colour shift in the bright areas. If you have a camera that can do manual or pro mode you can try using 1/60 shutter speed, a low ISO between 100 and 250 and manual focus in order to capture the phosphor colours in the bright areas.

Also make sure the camera is stable and the room is preferrably dark.

1 Like

If you want accurate aspect ratio to PSX output check https://pineight.com/mw/page/Dot_clock_rates.xhtml

SOTN is a 256px wide game and the PSX uses the same PAR as SNES for this 256 x (8/7) = 292.something pixels wide when translated to 1:1(Square) pixels There is a way to get proper aspect output by doing 256 x 8 and 224 x 7(which yields 2048x1568) or 240 x 7(1680)

The display aspect ratio is 1.306:1(the real number is 1.30612244898 or even highr) The guys(guys like Wobbling Pixels or FirebrandX) who do settings for the RetroTink 4k or the Mister FPGA typically sample to the closest resolution to 4K/1440p/1080p they can and use Sharp Bilinear to prevent shimmering. While with 4K you can do 2048x1568/1680(for SNES at least)that means you have a ton of pixels being wasted.

While you uploaded an image indicating 366 pixels wide for the Menus that may just be the emulator cropping from 384px This list says that SOTN uses 256px(PAR 8:7) for gameplay with 240 vertical resolution, 320px(PAR 32:35) for the intro, 512px(PAR 4:7) for the Main Menu/Scenes and 384px(PAR 4:5) for the file select and inventory.

If I were to venture a guess the file select could either be 366, 368 or 384. But I can’t find any info on the PAR of 366px and 368px modes. Maybe they are out there somewhere but I can’t be bothered to find them.

2 Likes

What settings do you recommend for your CyberLab Megatron NX Death To Pixels 4K HDR Shader Preset Pack at 1440p? The one I used in CyberLab Megatron Death To Pixels 4K HDR Shader Preset Pack doesn’t give me good results. Thanks ^^

1 Like

You can try the suggestions in the following posts. Other than that you can try each combination of CRT Resolution (TVL) parameters and Display’s Resolution parameters until you get something that resembles what you want.

You also have to ensure that you change the Display’s Subpixel Layout to what’s appropriate for your screen.

Lastly, look carefully at the way the scanlines intersect the mask to ensure that the choices you’ve made result in evenly spaced scanlines and mask without any strange moire patterns.

Also, it might help if you posted a photo of what you’re seeing on your screen as that might assist in troubleshooting and improvement of the shader.

1 Like

Dear Cyberlab; thank you for all your hard work.

What is the best TV/Monitor for these shaders? Specifically the HDR ones.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @cyber - now that I have a worthy PC to enjoy the delights of RetroGaming, I wanted to take a look at your work: starting from the assumption that I use the “smooth-adv” presets with the Mega Bezels (they’re like chocolate, I can’t make them less), and I use a 1080p monitor, which of your presets is best suited to my needs? Thank you very much for your help.

2 Likes

You’re welcome.

I really don’t have a specific answer to this one.

I can give you an idea of the type of specifications that should give a good experience.

Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor recommends an HDR600 or better display with HDR1000 being the recommended choice. This gives the headroom to do things like BFI, which should improve motion clarity provided that you have a display that can do at least 120Hz.

240Hz would be even better.

4K resolution of course.

Since these were designed and tested on an LG WOLED display, they should look great on any display that uses that technology.

However, they also tend to look great on bright LG IPS Displays.

The creator of the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor used an Eve Spectrum initially, then later switched to a Samsung OLED TV. He seems to be having a time with it.

He also really likes the way the shader looks on his cellphone screen.

Then there’s @Nesguy, who recently bought one of those KTC mini led displays and is having a lot of fun.

The local dimming doesn’t seem to play nice with the shaders though.

Other than that I’ve recently began to notice some image retention possibly due to scanlintheand heavy use of HDR CRT Shaders.

Since Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor is the main shader behind my CyberLab Megatron Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack, I think a display which meets or exceeds the recommended specs should be fine.

1 Like

I really can’t say with any kind of certainty. I’m a bit removed from my Mega Bezel Shader Preset Pack (at the moment) but it’s already a curated catalogue so just jump right in. Go into the 1080p Optimized folder, then choose which type of TV technology you like, if it’s Aperture Grille or Slot Mask, try different console specific presets as well as non console specific presets and see which you like.

Different users like different things so I can’t say which specific presets would click with you and which ones won’t, especially when there’s so much variety in the pack.

Do remember to adjust the Mask Layout to suit your Display’s Subpixel Layout.

Also, it’s important to pay close attention to the filenames as they give cues as to whether a preset has been tuned to work together with a Blargg Video Filter preset which can either be enabled from the Core Options or from the Settings–> Video–> Filters menu.

If you use those but don’t load the Video Filters, they may not look as intended.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

2 Likes

This is a nice look to shoot for:

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/s/YAGZLE75RA

Hello first thank you for all the great work with these presets the little I’ve been able to test is very very successful very cool. Thanks

Now to my question if anyone can and want to answer and help of course. It would be appreciated because I’m starting to go bald.

I have managed to install the shaders as shown in both the guide and the video tutorial. I have installed

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack v1.14.0 CyberLab Custom Blargg NTSC Video Filter Presets (20230903) Mega Bezel v1.17.1

The shaders in general and as far as I have been able to check they load except for the DREZ I get failed to apply shader preset in all of them.

My question is do I have to install something else to make the Drez load or some specific version of Mega Bezel? I have already tried with Mega Bezel v1.14. And the problem persists.

Any idea what could be the cause? configuration or something, I would appreciate the help if someone would be so kind. TIA

You’re welcome.

You really should be using Mega Bezel v1.14.0 with these presets if you want them to look.as intended, especially the ones which utilize NTSC effects via the shader instead of via Blargg NTSC Video Filter Presets.

Well seeing that there are multiple DREZ presets spread across different folders of presets which have been optimized for different resolutions as well as system configurations, it would be a great help if you could state exactly which DREZ presets in which folders you have tried that didn’t work for you. So you can include the entire path or a partial part for privacy purposes and the full name of the DREZ preset.

That will enable me to test the specific preset(s) that is(are) not working for you.

Another thing that might help a lot is if you use pastebin and share a log.

What OS are you using by the way?

1 Like

Hi Cyber, thanks for the reply and help and sorry for not answering sooner. I wanted to do some tests to be sure that everything is correctly installed.

I followed your advice to install Mega Bezel 1.14.0. I downloaded it from here.

I hope it is allowed to post links, otherwise I will remove it.

The installation is as follows, F:/LaunchBox/Emulators/RetroArch/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel

I still have the same problem, I can say for sure that all the presets work perfectly except the DREZ and I mean all the Drez.

That is very rare because the rest works incredibly well and very happy with the results of the presets are fantastic.

Regarding the OP system I use Win10.

1 Like

Hey, I talked to you in reddit DMs about your 4k HDR shader. So I want to ask you and mentioned it here.

I love your shader, its really great. but I am having issue with brightness on my LG C1.

I set the hdr luminance and paperwhite luminance, but it is still too dark. any attempt to increase the brightness will cause the colors to be washed out or loosing details.

is there any particular parameters that could help with the brightness ?

thanks.

one thing to note is that I turned off local dimming so it shouldn’t cause any issue.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the information you posted. This is a bit strange because the DREZ presets worked the last time I checked them. However I’ll check them out again soon.

A log might have been a great help. Please use pastebin if you’re posting a log though as they can get very large.

Don’t bother pasting the log. I found the issue. Try the Le’Sarsh_4K_Optimized folder, there’s a second DREZ file there. It seems to be missing from the other folders. You can try copying it and see if it fixes the issue.

Also, this issue seems to have been introduced in the latest version of my preset pack v1.14.0_25-01-24.

An easy workaround might be to reinstall v1.14.0_05-11-23 choosing not to overwrite any files with the same names.

I’ll see if I can release a fix for this as soon as I get a chance.

Hi, yes, I remember you.

Thanks for posting here so that others may benefit.

What size is it and how far away from the screen do you sit?

Have you enabled any power saving features or adjusted the OLED Light setting on the TV?

What values have you set these to? Did you use RTINGS.com to get the peak and 240p Test Suite’s Grey Ramp to assist with setting the Paper White Luminance value?

If it’s still too dark then you probably need to increase your Paperwhite Value. Other than that you can increase the Gamma in the Shader Parameters.

Are you using BFI and also are you using HDR Game mode?

Isn’t per pixel local dimming the whole point of OLED technology? I’d probably leave that on if I were you but I never used a C1 before so you probably know better than me what that setting does and how it works.

Feel free to report back with your settings and after you increase your Paper White Luminance value.

How does the brightness look by default if you use my presets without adjusting your Peak and Paper White Luminance values?

1 Like

my lg c1 is 55 inch, and I am setting about 9-10 feet aways from the tv.

I used Rtings for the HDR parameters and set it to 640 for peak and about 350-400 peak luminance. I used the snes 240p Test Suite’s with the Grey ramp and the color bar for the sub pixel layout.

I am using HDR with Gaming mode enabled. I am not sure if I enabled BFI or not but please tell me if I need to enable/disable the setting.

for the gamma there are so many gamma options. can you tell me which gamma parameter should I change.

I think I used the wrong term for this one. I meant ABL.

For the default peak luminance it works well with my HDR settings. But the white luminance values are too high for my screen. the colors are washed out or I am missing details (for example the clouds in mega man x or sonic 3).

its probably because my tv’s HDR is not bright enough (it got 6.9 in gaming mode according to Rtings).

1 Like

I doubt this very much.

Firstly Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor recommends an HDR600 display or better. I’m sure your C1 is capable of more than 600 cd/m².

Secondly here’s a comparison of my TV’s HDR Test results to yours in HDR Game mode.

2% Window - 652 vs 751

10% Window - 651 vs 747

25% Window - 413 vs 412

50% Window - 223 vs 277

100% Window - 129 vs 131

This might be a factor because the presets would have been designed with ABL on so if ABL is off then you might end up with higher effective Paper white brightness at similar settings to if ABL was on.

When Paper White Brightness is set too high, there’s clipping of the highlights.

Are you sure HDR is being enabled in RetroArch? Are you on the latest version of Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor?

I have 2 Megatron Preset packs now, do presets from both of them look too washed out or dark?

These settings seem par for the course for any LG OLED TV perhaps you can try 630 for Peak Luminance.

You should probably set Paper White similarly - which is what the current presets have it set to or try to get closer to 400 than 300, at the moment I’m experimenting with some upcoming presets with Paper White Luminance set to 430.

If that is set to that and all else remains equal in my presets, they would definitely look dark until you lower the Gamma (the last one).

Sometimes you can lose detail if Saturation is too high but if colours appear washed out then you might want to turn up the saturation.

A picture paints a thousand words. Feel free to post a screenshot or photo of the screen so that I can better understand what you’re describing.

You probably should disable it if your TV does not get bright enough with it on.

If you’re using an LG OLED TV, then the best subpixel layout is RWGB (WOLED) - 2.0.

My presets should look good then because this is similar to my viewing distance when I developed them.

Lastly, how does your TV fare using the default Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor Presets? Perhaps you can use those as a starting point?

1 Like

PSA:

For those who like Saturn emulation. My latest CyberLab Megatron NX Death To Pixels 4K HDR Shader Preset Pack should be a real treat. This is because I had inadvertently enabled "Horizontal Blending" in Beetle Saturn’s Core Options and this had a terrible interaction with the shaders when it came to resolution. I had compensated for this in my previous Saturn presets but I was never quite satisfied with the output.

All of that has been resolved now and I’ve updated the presets in my latest pack (only) to take the new Core Options into consideration.

The result is that Sega Saturn games should now look just as good as their counterparts on other consoles for the first time using my NX preset pack!

@Bigbang concerning the issue of my DREZ presets not working. I think I had plans to deprecate the old DREZ (base) preset after I had made a much better looking one, which was suposed to replace it.

I probably got sidetracked working on some other updates but had already removed the old DREZ ones and wanted to release an update which probably fixed and improved other things before I was finished working on the DREZ update.

At some point I might see if I can pick back up where I left off where that is concerned.

The biggest change in my latest CyberLab Megatron NX Death To Pixels 4K HDR Shader Preset Pack is the introduction of Near Field presets for all supported consoles.

This is due to a change in viewing distance in my personal setup which sort of makes many, if not most of my previous presets which were developed from a certain viewing distance not look quite as intended anymore.

Those who view from similar distances (and closer) to my new setup might probably welcome these new developments. Those new presets carry the suffix “Near Field”.

2 Likes