CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

Greetings @JavimetalRF!

You’re most welcome. I’m glad I could help.

That should be Blending_and_Transparency.

There is so much variety in all of my preset packs, the intention is for users to play around with and try many presets while looking for the ones which they like.

There is nothing to be lost by loading another preset so why not try them all?

Take the time to read the first post and scroll through the thread. There are many examples in posts featuring screenshots which can also provide some guidance.

I have countless presets which can blend dithering and provide transparency effects in Sega Genesis games so you might be really missing out if all you use are the older stuff.

That TV is begging to take CyberLab Megatron Death To Pixels Preset Pack for a spin.

Feel free to come out of your comfort zone then come back if you require more assistance.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your extensive and detailed answer! I realized today that my PC was not activating the game mode of my TV and everything has changed a lot, the lighting and the color saturation have improved a lot. This is amazing. Still, I’m going to try other settings, especially the ones you mention from CyberLab Megatron Death to Pixel. You are very kind, we will continue to comment on your fabulous work here.

2 Likes

I tried to test the settings of CyberLab Megatron Death To Pixels but my 1080ti won’t let me enable HDR :cry:

1 Like

I doubt the problem is your 1080ti. I use a GeForce GTX 1070.

Try updating your display drivers and try again. Are you using Windows 11?

What’s happening when you try to enable HDR?

1 Like

The HDR option is not available directly, the switch to enable this feature does not show up. I always update the NVIDIA drivers, punctually, and use HDMI cable with my Samsung TV. Months ago, looking for information about this problem on the internet, I read several people with this problem and they said that a few years ago they could use HDR on 1080ti without any problem, but at some point this option disappeared. Microsoft blamed NVIDIA and vice versa, the reality is that I have a good card that does not let me enjoy this option and I would love to see these settings with HDR, it must be spectacular. Since I can’t activate HDR in Windows, the option in Retroarch does not appear either.

1 Like

Wow! That really sucks man. Can you share the full TV Model number please. Because there seem to be different varieties of Q80 some with different letters after the 80.

Is your TV firmware up to date?

I know Samsung TVs don’t support Dolby Vision and those TVs might have been released just around the time HDR was becoming standardized.

With that said though, you don’t need HDR to enjoy Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor nor my preset pack for it.

All you need is the brightness of your display so what what you can do is load up a preset, switch the SDR/HDR parameter in Shader Parameters to SDR and then increase your screen backlight and brightness to as high as possible.

You might also have to play around with the Display’s Subpixel Layout to find the one which matches your Display.

1 Like

My Q80 model should be compatible with HDR because it works fine on my Xbox Series X, I’m pretty sure the problem is in my graphics card. I’m happy with what you tell me, that I don’t need HDR to enjoy your Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor setup, I’ll do some tests in the next few days, I’m not very good at experimenting with the settings you mention but there must be a first time for everything XD Thank you very much for being so attentive!!

1 Like

Try connecting the PC to the TV using the same HDMI input and cable as the Xbox Series X.

Also try lowering your refresh rate to 60Hz.

A graphics driver reinstall might also help by the way. Also you might need to be sure your TV’s HDMI input is set to PC Mode and that you have HDMI Wide Colour Gamut or Ultra Deep Colour enabled.

This might be a good time to explore your TV manual again to see if you might be missing something.

Also make sure your graphics driver is set to output RGB 4:4:4 Full.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-q90r-tv-as-hdr/9111b761-65b7-4a01-8d46-b7cf295eb48b

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgamingtechsupport/s/5JRf5az4uk

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/332152/hdr-not-working-windows-10-with-samsung-tv/

1 Like

Hi are there any of your presets that I can use with DOS games? Whichever one I tried, the screen is very small

1 Like

I haven’t really tried any of them with DOS Games yet so you can feel free to experiment. If you want to make the screen larger you can increase the Int. Scale offset or change the Int. Scale Mode to 0 but there could be unwanted side effects.

Other than that you can continue to explore and experiment with different presets and hopefully you’ll find something that you’ll like.

While you’re at it, don’t forget to adjust the Mask Layout setting to the one which matches your display.

You can probably also try one of @RealNC’s VGA Monitor presets which might be floating around in the forums somewhere.

@Cyber Hey Just wanted your opinion on the RetroTink 4K CRT filters, Is it any good or am I just getting angry because certain youtubers have no idea CyberLab Death To Pixels exists.

1 Like

Greetings @DDB,

I’m yet to watch/listen to the full gamut of RetroTink 4K reviews. I’ve probably only partially looked at 1 so I’m not really in a position to judge it’s CRT filters.

What I would say is that it’s a product that’s geared to a different market and attempts to solve a different problem from what emulation via RetroArch delivers.

I can’t speak to the abilities of the RetroTink 4K when it comes to having the power to reproduce what Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor or CRT-Guest-Advance-NTSC does but I’m in support of better CRT Shaders/Filters/Emulation across the board.

I don’t like the arrogance and misinformation I sometimes see in certain circles though but I guess if you’re trying to sell something, marketing hyperbole or cognitive dissonance are par for the course, right?

“Good” is in the eye of the beholder I guess, just as with CRT Shader presets.

Don’t let things like this get you down. Just be happy to get your retro gaming fix in whatever way you prefer.

Whether or not certain YouTubers know, don’t know or know and choose to ignore is not really my prerogative.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Hi @Cyber,

I really appreciate all the effort you’ve put into these presets and for monitoring this thread and providing advice even to this day.

It’s my first time using RetroArch and these shaders. I was hoping you could give me some advice for which preset would be the best for me and any small tweaks I need to do to get the best quality image.

Might be an extremely niche use of your presets, but here’s what I’m trying to do. I have Resident Evil 2 Biohazard, the Sourcenext port for pc. Essentially, it’s a pc port of a psx/gamecube/dreamcast game, so I thought I might use one of the console specific presets. I’ve figured out how to have RetroArch apply its shaders on the game using WindowCast that you recommended, and it works great, but I don’t know what resolution to make the game. Should I use the original 240p resolution that the game came out in? Should I use 640x480 that windowCast recommends? Also, I want to play the game on my LG C1 OLED. You probably already know, but it’s a 4k HDR display that has the ability to use black frame insertion (BFI). Should I turn that on? Should I turn the HDR on or keep it in SDR? Should I use one of the OLED presets or one of the 4k HDR presets? Maybe I’m overthinking it and I just need to try each to see what is best, but again, I’m brand new to this so you most certainly know things that I don’t know about what presets to use and how to adjust them. Are there any settings in retro arch or the presets I should change? I also have an RTX 4080 and 12700kf with 16 GB RAM. Is that enough for the highest quality presets? Anything else I’m missing or should know about?

Any help is super appreciated, even if it’s an “idk bro, figure it out yourself”.

1 Like

Thanks.

Nearly everything we do here can be considered niche/bleeding edge/experimental.

I don’t think WindowCast recommends 640 x 680 resolution.

It recommends finding out the native resolution of the content i.e. 1 x resolution scale.

I think it’s best to let your eyes be the judge for what you think is the best resolution to use.

If you try 240p, you’ll probably get the most defined and visible scanlines.

At 640 x 480 the scanlines tend to disappear or almost disappear.

There are pros and cons to either approach. Higher res can lead to less aliasing but scanlines also help reduce the appearance of aliasing as well.

You can get the best of both worlds using the latest Mega Bezel Reflection Shader or CRT-Guest-Advanced shaders which now have support for Hi-Res Scanlines (Hi res graphics + regular lo res scanlines).

Since I have so many different preset offerings, I can’t really give you a one size fits all answer for this question.

You can probably try my latest Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor preset pack using HDR Mode and see if you like it.

Once you have that setup and running correctly, feel free to introduce BFI and see if the cost/benefit is worth it to you.

What I would say though, is that if you’re used to whatever motion clarity you’re experiencing now without the use of BFI. Using it can spoil you, making you more sensitive to motion clarity issues and it could be hard to switch back.

The main downside to this is that you’ll always lose brightness when using BFI and brightness is essential to making most of my presets look good on any display.

So my presets have been tuned for around 600nits, which is the minimum recommended brightness for Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor.

If you use BFI and go below that, you might gain better motion clarity but ruin the visual experience in other ways in the process.

So to enable any type of BFI while preserving the best of both worlds, your display really should have an insane amount of brightness headroom.

Browse this thread especially the first post. Read the readme files of my preset packs and look at the RetroCrisis videos, especially the most recent one to figure out how to set things up correctly.

Since you’re using an 4K LG OLED TV, which is what most of these presets were designed on, you shouldn’t have much setting up to do on the Shader Parameters side but you should still calibrate your Peak and Paper White Luminance to what your TV supports for the best possible experience.

My highest quality presets are my Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor presets and those can run on a cell phone or Raspberry Pi4.

The Mega Bezel stuff can be a little resource intensive if using the higher performance tiers but I run those on a GeForce GTX 1070.

Remember Rome wasn’t built in a day so take your time to learn things one step at a time.

By the way, you can also apply CRT Shader effects via ReShade. CRT-Royale, CRT-Guest-Advanced as well as Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor all have ReShade ports.

Hello CyberLab. Amazing progress on your passion project here.

I had a question regarding the CRT-Royale section of the preset pack. I’m trying to replicate the Sonic waterfall section. I’ve applied both the shader and the filter but can’t get the transparency as shown off in the retrocrisis video.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thx

1 Like

Greetings @MIKEBLK!

Thanks very much.

Strange, can you tell me which emulator cores you’re using in addition to which shader presets and filter combinations you’ve tried?

Note that those particular video filters don’t work with all cores so you can try a different core and see if they do. I use Genesis Plus GX. Also note that if you’re using external NTSC video filters, you should turn off any internal ones found in the Core Options.

Also, your display resolution?

Screenshots and/or photos of your display showing the issue might greatly assist in getting to the root of the problem as well.

1 Like

Whts up man. Appreciate the quick response. I’m using Genesis Plus GX as well. Video filters ‘OFF’ in core options.

Lmk if I left out any pertinent information. Thx Cyber

1 Like

I see that you’re attempting to use my “Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_S-Video_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt”. Why not try the filter prresets that I specifically designed (but not exclusively) for and included with my CRT-Royale Shader Preset Pack, specifically the ones with the “III” at the end of the filenames?

What happens when you try the ones below? Have you tried these?

Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_S-Video_CyberLab_Special_Edition_III.filt

Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_Bad_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition_III.filt

Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_RF_CyberLab_Special_Edition_III
1 Like

I missed the part where the correct pairing was with the “III” series filters. I tried the 3 you mentioned above but the result was the same.