CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

I wonder if you’re using the version of HSM Mega Bezel with the increased negative cropping range change that was eventually reverted. I literally made those 1440p Computer Monitor presets 2 days ago so I’m sure they’re not supposed to be blurry.

Try redownloading HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader and see if that resolves this.

Also, make sure that Billinear Filtering is set to Off in your RetroArch Video Settings.

I’m using the presets included in the Presets\Experimental\CyberLab folder of the latest Mega Bezel, so I don’t think that’s the issue. Quite weird, actually.

Yep, bilinear filtering is off.

1 Like

It might be worth double checking, there have been some rapid updates and backtracking.

1 Like

Latest yes, but how late? There were a couple releases, changes and revertions over the last 24 hours, so you can try downloading again just to be on the safe side.

Compared to my Computer Monitor Presets my Composite Pure preset at 4K appears less sharp but based on this I’m now realizing that many of my older presets might be looking less sharper than they should due to changes in the Mega Bezel Reflection Shader. I’ll await an update which is supposed to address that.

Mega Bezel V 0.9.092 2021-12-24 Rev 3. Everything’s as it should be (integer scale off, aspect ratio set to full, bilinear filtering off, rotation set to normal…)…It’s just bizarre. Tried messing around with horizontal sharpness, substractive sharpness, deconvergence and such, but it didn’t produce a real difference. As I said, bizarre. I’ll just wait for the next update probably, but still it puzzles me.

2 Likes

@Fab You can try the download from this thread then to see if there’s a discrepancy there. I’ve tested both though so there shouldn’t be but it can’t hurt to try to rule it out. I still have the first of the new builds that was released. I never tried any of the subsequent ones. Take a look at my recent video clips or even look at the various screenshots I’ve posted in the thread to see how sharp these new presets are supposed to look.

As soon as I get a chance I’ll make some checks again to see if I can reproduce what you’re experiencing. You can also try the 1080p Optimized versions of the Computer Monitor Presets. The RAW versions are Sharper than the Sharp versions by the way.

Yeah I saw the the screens and downloaded the clips and they’re really good, way more definite than what I’m seeing on the screen. Tried 1080p and 4K presets, for completion’s sake, same issue, it’s like the image is out of focus, with Sharp, Raw, Computer, Arcade, anything. The only preset which looks as it should is Pure Composite, as I said. I’ll just wait while you guys do your magic. :smiley:

1 Like

No problem, based on the shader preset settings, especially in Computer Monitor Raw, it’s virtually impossible for that to be the cause of any blurriness. This is because any and every setting that might contribute to any blur or softening of the image is set to 0. While things like GTU resolution and Prescale are set very high. If anything, I’ll try to confirm exactly which version I’m running and see if I can locate it for you on @HyperspaceMadness’s GITHUB. I’m having none of these issues whatsoever and I’ve been doing extensive testing of these presets over the past few weeks.

There was also a change to fix a bug where having Billinear Filtering enabled in RetroArch messed up the Shader. I haven’t touched any of those builds. I thought things would have been feature frozen and only severe bug fixes were going to be implemented for a bit.

I’m using Mega Bezel V 0.9.090 2021-12-24. See if you can get this version from the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader GitHub.

@Cyber

It is the [CORE RES SAMPLING] Opposite Direction Downsample Blur.

Probably not your intention to have it set at 100 instead of the default 0. Maybe the value was converted to a percentage instead of an absolute at some time.

Here is a shot after setting it to the default value.

2 Likes

Thanks, if this is the case I’d like to find out when and why it was changed because it doesn’t have the same effect on V 0.9.090 2021-12-24 or any build prior.

I use my eyes and trial and error to figure out these settings until I eventually understand how and why they work.

So it could be due to the Billinear Filtering bugfix. Can you try V 0.9.090 2021-12-24 and see if you’re still getting blurriness?

It’s possible that 100 was the default value before you know. I’ll double check that as well!

Thanks for the quick find but there’s something different about that setting now because it’s been at 100 in my presets for a very long time now with no issues. I was actually reviewing the changes between builds right now.

Maybe @HyperspaceMadness can save us the trouble and chime in as to this behaviour. Remember I also noticed some severe blur with some of the other formerly Experimental Presets that wasn’t there in older versions of the Reflection Shader.

Perhaps HSM can say whether there was a change and if there was a change, if it was intentional or a bug and if I should wait for a fix or make a change to my presets.

1 Like

If the internal method of calculation was different before, then 100 means something other than what it previously did. Near a year ago the scaling method was changed and required similar preset edits.

I just checked an older version of the shader and 100 in the current build gives the same results as 200 in a previous version.

Same 100 = 200 on the initial RC1 release so it has nothing to do with the recent updates.

It did change between the last alpha and RC1 though so it may not be intentional. Either way it is a quick fix with a search and replace.

Welcome to the world of software development. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the welcoming party! I still want to hear from HSM before editing though or at least recheck and reproduce the issue myself.

I’m on the very first RC. The one right after HSM accidentally uploaded a very old version. There’s no blur on my Computer Monitor presets and I haven’t noticed anything strange on my Composite Sharp Preset either but I haven’t tested the 1440p version of that preset in a while.

I’ll await a response from the Shader Boss! Lol. Today is a special day for many of us so I don’t mind if I have to wait a while.

1 Like

The Downsample Blur has been adjusted (right before the RC rev1) so that it gets the same amount of blur between the STD and ADV presets are consistent, so ADV will have more blur than before. So I think to have the same blur as before for the ADV 100 should now be 33

2 Likes

I told you guys have magic powers. :smiley:

BTW, what’s that game? Looks sweet!

1 Like

He has spoken. Lol

I’m still doing this thing manually in Notepad. I don’t mind because it has kept my mind sharp keeping track of things but I’m open to improvements to my workflow, change and learning from the best! @TheNamec has already pointed me in the right direction a few times when it comes to software and certain other things as well as yourself and @Duimon but what do you guys recommend would be the fastest way to change that setting across the board?

Edit: It’s Aquales for the Sharp x68000.

2 Likes

Notepad++ has a great file Search & Replace feature. (Google for a tutorial before you make an attempt.) I use PowerGrep for advanced variable and regular expression support, but it is pricier.

I think @HyperspaceMadness uses Visual Studio Code, which is free.

3 Likes

There is also IDM UEStudio that has a nice IDE feel, and a file search & replace. The method is also a bit obscure, like Notepad++ so google again.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll do a quick Google search and I think it’s that same Visual Studio Code that @TheNamec mentioned to me that he uses.

3 Likes

Okay @Fab. The bug has been squashed. You can use my updated Shader Preset Pack available in the first post of this thread immediately, while we await an update of the main package.

Also, you might want to redownload your HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader as the latest available on the HSM Mega Bezel Thread is V 0.09.091 2021-12-24.

Thanks again for all the assistance in getting this one resolved so quickly! @HyperspaceMadness, @Duimon, @Fab

1 Like