CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

You’re most welcome!

I know what you’re saying and if you look at the readme.txt you might see something of a change log that hasn’t been updated in a while but things are different now and I barely have time to work on the changes and updates themselves so I’d rather just improve things in a stealthy manner and users can just update if they wish to use the same settings and presets I personally use.

You’re welcome! I should thank you as well because if it wasn’t for your feedback, I might have never made that PSX preset so soon and also realize that there would be issues compared to how easy the others were to basically just copy and paste.

In addition to that, I seemed to have found a very good solution to a long standing problem of moire patterns appearing when integrating my presets with smaller sized bezels, especially on games which use high resolution modes! I’m really happy about that!

If you enjoy using my preset pack be sure to spread the word so that others may benefit and feel free to come back and post some screenshots!

Greetings @hgoda90 and @soqueroeu,

I’ve found an even better method of integrating my presets while reducing moire patterns without destroying what’s left of my scanline tweaks after my initial moire pattern mitigations.

It involves temporarily using Int. Scale Mode 0 and “(HSM_INT_SCALE_BORDER_MIN_HEIGHT)” to get an idea of the best Non-Integer Scale % setting which shows the least amount of moire.

You can take a look at my tests and results if interested.

Suggestion for Automatic Int. Scale Offset to minimize moire without sacrificing well defined scanline patterns.

5 Likes

Here’s some excellent Sega Genesis de-dithering being performed by my latest:

Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt + CyberLab__Composite-Pure__Soqueroeu-TV_Special_Edition-Genesis__STD.slangp

Leave your GPU to do the heavy Mega Bezel work, while offloading some stuff and applying some finesse to the final output using the oft untapped power of your CPU!

There are now two custom Blargg NTSC video filters included in my preset pack!

5 Likes

@Cyber your shaders are hands down the best shaders I’ve ever seen/used. The first time I tried them I got a huge smile on my face :slightly_smiling_face:

They look perfect. Your latest Genesis and SNES filters are 🤌

Thanks for everything!

2 Likes

You’re most welcome @iamnotkurtcobain! I’m glad you like them. Be sure to spread the word so that others might benefit!

Thanks! I tried a little something.

Feel free to post some screenshots (with GDV Noise turned off)!

1 Like

Here’s some more eye candy!

CyberLab__Composite-Pure__Soqueroeu-TV_Special_Edition-TurboDuo__STD.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

CyberLab__Composite-Pure__Soqueroeu-TV_Special_Edition-TurboDuo__STD.slangp (Only)

CyberLab__Composite-Pure__Soqueroeu-TV_Special_Edition-Genesis__STD.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

I have included these video filter presets in my Shader Preset Pack.

3 Likes

hello there bud. Is supposed to be a link to preset on the beginning of that post ? It links me up to a picture which is not found either.

1 Like

Is that the link you were needing, @ynnad4 ? That should have @Cyber 's latest presets

1 Like

i was refering to this. I thought there was a link there to a preset. Also, I’m not sure if the presets pack is being updated all in first post or across the whole thread in newer posts.

1 Like

The one at the very top should be the most current version. I believe he names the file with the release date in them (11-03-22) which helps a ton.

2 Likes

Would you actually have a solution for 1600x900 screen resolution please ? Not sure if did something wrong but loaded it with both the preset and filter:

CyberLab__Composite-Pure__Soqueroeu-TV_Special_Edition-Genesis__STD.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

2 Likes

You got these in a folder named 4K_Optimized right?

That means they’ve been tested and optimized for 4K resolution displays.

So far I’ve been supporting 4K, 1440p and 1080p resolutions which I think might be the most popular resolutions at the moment. Each resolution needs to be tested and tweaked because these presets just simply don’t scale and translate well between different resolutions.

I doubt I’ll be doing 1600 x 900 resolutions any time soon as I would need a 1600 x 900 resolution display in order to properly test them. I do have a 3200 x 1800 that can probably work but that’s currently out of commission.

I recently had the opportunity to try my presets out briefly at 1024 x 768 resolution screen and with a few adjustments I found they looked pretty decent. So I was thinking of including a couple at that resolution as well.

You can play around with the settings to see if you can get things to fit, then you can try adjusting the CRT Mask Size and possibly also the Mask Type setting until you get something that looks suitable at the resolution you’re using.

I’ll post a list of settings that might help in a little while.

You might want to try setting Int. Scale Mode to 0 and Making sure that Use Independent Scale is also set to 0 (Off).

If you get horizontal moire patterns you might have to tweak your Non-Integer Scale %.

You can customize the size of the bezel to fit by adjusting the value that’s in the same section as Use Independent Scale. Right below it there’s a value to use when using Non-Inhereted Scale.

This only works if Use Independent Scale is Off.

Another thing you can do is use that same value to decrease the size of the bezel until it fits right, and adjusting the Integer Scale Offset to a higher value. Right now it’s -2 so - 1 or 0 might cause the viewport to increase in size.

After you get it to a suitable size you can readjust the bezel size until it fits the edges of your viewport properly. Cropping settings can give you a bit of fine tuning as well if necessary.

I recently learned of another way you can set the Min Int Scale Border so that the screen doesn’t exceed the viewport.

Integer scale snapping - HSM_SNAP_TO_INT_SCALE_TOLERANCE

Int. Scale Minimum Border Size - HSM_INT_SCALE_BORDER_MIN_HEIGHT can control Integer Scale to allow you to get for example, the biggest integer scale without being bigger than the viewport.

You can let me know if it works for you and I’ll see if I can get things aligned by setting my desktop to 1600 x 900 resolution. I’ve been contemplating switching back these presets to using non-integer scale so that they might be a little more compatible but there are other benefits to using integer scale.

You don’t have to use my CyberLab__Composite-Pure__Soqueroeu-TV_Special_Edition presets though, you can also try the others, probably the ones in the 1080p Optimized folder might work with a very slight adjustment to the CRT Mask Size and/or Mask Type.

You can use any of my shader presets with my Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt video filter preset.

Depending on what you’re looking for you can just use my Blending and Transparency preset without Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition preset if all you need is the De-dithering.

1 Like

So it seems like there’s something really off here. Do you have a recent version of the Mega Bezel shader pack?

Can you open any of the standard Mega Bezel presets in shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets ?

Also it would be good to download @soqueroeu’s package and try his presets out directly?

SOQUEROEU – Mega Bezel TV Backgrounds

2 Likes

Nothing is off really. This is a preset that has only been customized and tested at 4K resolution. It’s even in the 4K_Optimized folder.

@ynnad4 is attempting to use it on a 1600 x 900 screen so the custom bezel scale as well as integer scale offset aren’t expected to be a good fit for that or any other resolution.

1 Like

ah ok, this is kind of a bummer, that’s one reason why the non-integer scale is on by default in the base presets, so they can run at any resolution without getting strange results.

Generally people are trying to set up presets for the Mega Bezel so they can run at many different resolutions and aspect ratios as that is part of the strength of the Mega Bezel.

So if you really only ever expect someone to run it at exactly 4K then I guess you are getting what you expect.

2 Likes

Rome wasn’t built in a day and good things come to those who wait.

Based on my experiences with moire patterns, mask sizes, noise and filtering levels not scaling and translating well across different resolutions I started doing resolution specific presets. Even if the image might scale automatically using non-integer scale other aspects of the presets may not look as intended anyway.

Plus this particular setting of Int. Scale Mode being set to 0 is really the result of my experimentation in trying to optimize and balance screen size, moire patterns, dealing with overscan and stuff like that. I’m not afraid to push the boundaries in order to learn different ways of doing things and achieve new and interesting results in the process.

I never had any intention of explicitly supporting 1600 x 900 resolution though so in situations like this when a user of a more uncommon setup has an issue, there’s no problem with them coming here and doing a little back and forth to find a solution that works for them and can be shared with others possibly in a future preset.

I’m also not completely ruling out using Non-Integer Scale in Soqueroeu’s presets in the future though (my first Soqueroeu-TV Special Edition preset used non-integer scale) but I’m still testing, learning and so far getting things to work the way I want using Integer scale.

1 Like

I’ve said it before. I’m not sure integer scale really belongs in the Mega Bezel, unless you are using a simple background layer and bezel.

To use it with a device layer would require designing the graphic based on the screen size. (Bottom up design as opposed to top down.) And the user would never be able to increase internal resolution scale.

If you look closely at my 3DS [Integer] preset, I am using integer scale as a base but setting non-integer scale to match it. This gives the screen clarity that integer does, but still allows the user to use the features that inspired the creation of the Mega Bezel in the beginning.

The power of this can be explored by using a DREZ preset and higher internal resolution scale. This would be impossible using integer scale. (The reason my [Integer] presets for the PSP and PSOne have been temporarily removed from the repo.)

1 Like

Different users might have different perspectives on this so I don’t see why having choice should be such a bad thing as it in no way hinders the work of those who don’t need or use it.

This is exactly what happens when I try to integrate my presets as well as preferred screen curvature and overscan settings as well as crop settings for individual games to work with an existing bezel and graphics preset.

This is something that I recently learned about and did in my Soqueroeu-TV Special Edition PSX preset.

That wouldn’t have been possible (or at least as easy to resolve) if I didn’t get the matching Non-Integer Scale from setting the Int. Scale Mode to 0 first, which completely removed the moire patterns that were visible during hi-res screens.

So this alone is a very strong case for having Int. Scale Mode as a part of Mega Bezel.

To me the more rigid behaviour of Int Scale more closely matches the behaviour of a real CRT especially where overscan is concerned.

In time I think I’ll get all of the Integer Scale settings, overscan settings & crop settings dialed in so that one size will work for all games on any given console preset.

That’s already what takes place in my current Soqueroeu-TV Special Edition presets, it’s just that it will take some more time and testing of some more games to get things fully realized.

Using Non-Integer Scale with everything automatic takes away some of the fun of that. I actually enjoy tweaking these things.

Yeah I’m not saying that integer scale can’t be used with the Mega Bezel, it’s there for a reason it works but you have a bit less control over the exact size.

Something like @soqueroeu’s preset which has graphics for the TV should be set up to have the graphics scaled with the tube, so that when the tube scales with non integer it scales all the graphics along with it.

Having a situation where the scaling of the graphics is divorced from the screen scaling and the screen may change size and be offset from the graphics is not a great situation.

For getting a good size of the screen with integer scale I would suggest trying the integer scale snapping to snap the non integer scale to the closest integer multiple. And then have the graphics scaling linked to the tube. Then all the graphics will match the tube.

3 Likes

I totally get and understand this but what no one seems to be understanding is that I’m experimenting. I have my valid reasons why I’m on the path that I am on so everything is working as intended. I might come back to the default settings after I’m finished or if I’m not satisfied with the results of my experiments.

Remember what I share is what I use and what I use works very well at the resolution I have recommended users use it with. In the future other resolutions might be tested and added.

This point is very important and may have been missed.I will first qualify by saying at the mask and scanline settings I use things are not going to look as intended when scaled to different resolutions anyway so the point of changing the look and function of presets to not look strange would be moot when they would inherently look strange and not as intended to me. Again remember, what I share with the public is what I use personally so it has to look right first for me.

That’s one of the costs of trying to maximize certain qualities at a particular resolution rather than have something that looks average across all resolutions but is more compatible.

I’ve addressed this by testing optimizing and labelling for different resolutions.

Let’s not blow this out of proportion. @ynnad4 will be sorted out at his 1600 x 900 resolution when I get a chance just as I sort out other users who try different things that I haven’t gotten across to just yet, for example @DDB who tried to integrate my presets which are all for @soqueroeu’s curved presets so far.

So what might really be needed is just a little patience to allow the natural development process to run its course.

I want this to remain fun and enjoyable to all involved. Let’s not make things too serious and take away from the creative process that brings us much joy, satisfaction and in some cases relaxation.

1 Like