CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

Hmm I’m clicking the link but it doesn’t take me there

2 Likes

try tht

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m in. Now I just need to find the sub section that you’re talking about.

Nvm got it, it’s in general

2 Likes

Hey Cyber. What I meant by this was that he was using Nvidia, and I’m using an AMD card.

Screenshot of my AMD settings below:

As you can see with the above settings, I don’t have any form of scaling enabled. I did have Exclusive Fullscreen mode enabled. Disabled it just now to test, but no luck. Same green tint on CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_CRT-1P2RTA__ADV

Is there anything similar for AMD cards? The Deep Colour I mean. I’m connected via a DisplayPort cable btw. Not sure if that makes a difference.

So I just tried it with the Blastem Genesis Core and the CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_CRT-1P2RTA__ADV gave me proper colour with no Green Tint. So this seems to be Flycast Specific.

AMD 6600XT

Need your guidance with regard to your presets. Are the 1080p/1440p/4k filters based on my screen type, or based on the internal resolution I use with the core?

For example, if I change the international resolution of the Flycast core to 4k, on my 1080p monitor, do I use the 4k preset or the 1080p one?

Thanks again for all your help and taking the time to assist with this!

2 Likes

Hi there CyberLab. I have some more questions about your shaders.

Would you be interested in making some SNES presets that use the Blargg NTSC shaders? I like to play my games with NTSC filters/shaders enabled and the current SNES shaders aren’t really my taste. The normal CyberLab__SNES__ADV.slangp preset is a bit to dark and has too much colour correction for me. For the BSNES shaders you need to enable “Blur Emulation”. However I think this option only works when the game uses the 512x448 mode, so right now I think this option has no effect.

Another thing I would like to add is that the CyberLab_Turbo_Duo_for_CyberLab_Blargg_Composite_or_S-Video_Filter.slangp preset combined with any of the Blargg filters doesn’t work for me. This is only the case for the MBZ__0 folders and the other folders work fine. When I use the Beetle PCE core, load the Blargg shader and then try to load the preset, RA freezes, and the image starts shaking. I think this was already a problem for me before the name change of the folders. Do you have any idea what this could be?

I was also wondering if I could use the latest version of Mega Bezel, since 1.6.3 is a bit outdated.

Great work on the shader!

1 Like

These don’t work with BSNES.

There are SNES console specific presets that use NTSC Shaders in my pack, they just don’t use Blargg NTSC Filter. Have you tried my latest CyberLab SNES Composite Slot Mask IV OLED Presets in my 4K_Optimized Folder as well as the Le’Sarsh 4K_Optimized versions?

I can’t remember if you’re a 4K user or not but there are other options to try and if you see them in the 4K_Optimized folders they might end up in the other folders eventually if it makes sense and when I get a chance. You can also try the 4K_Optimized ones and maybe adjust them to suit your resolution if you don’t want to wait.

There are many options available. Again please remind me if you’re using the 4K_Optimized folders at all so I can have a better picture of your plight.

It works fine for me, tested in Kirby’s Dream Land 3.

Hmmm…this might be one for @HyperspaceMadness. Does the same thing occur if you try to load the Shader Preset only with the Blargg Video Filter removed?

You can try loading the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV_GDV base preset in the RetroArch/Shaders/Shaders_Slang/Bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets folder and see if the same thing occurs.

This could be a bug in the shader itself.

Did this occur before you updated to V1.6.3?

You can temporarily revert to both V1.5.0 of my Shader Preset Pack and also V1.5.0 of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader and test to see if it happens in that version as well.

It is? Why do you say it’s a bit outdated? In terms of what? Just the number? The date itself?

Do you know that many times when HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader is updated I have to work to disable and revert changes which occur in the base preset or shader itself in order for my presets to continue looking the way they should aka their best?

Sometimes a new version might come around and introduce new bugs or performance regressions as well. All of these things have to be considered and properly tested before an update to my Shader Preset pack takes place.

As you can see I have vastly expanded the number of presets available in my shader preset pack to include tiers for lower performing devices there are pros and cons to this. The pros are a bit obvious but the main con so far is that maintenance is now becoming much more difficult and time consuming and thus it will very likely take a lot longer than it used to before for CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack to be updated to be fully compatible with the latest HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader versions.

That’s one of the reasons I changed to my new Semi-semantic versioning system which matches the version of my Shader Preset Pack with the version of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader that it was tested and updated to work with.

HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader has its own goals, roadmap and reasons for being updated. Those changes are not always necessary for CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack even though there might be improvements to be tapped into later on.

I tend to make the most out of whatever I have so if there’s a limitation I would do me best to work around or work within it. Sometimes that limitation might be removed and that represents progress, however what do you think happens to the image that was created using the limitations and workarounds in mind?

So this is in no way a rant nor complaint about HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader and it being updated in the way that it is but if I am to update as frequently as I used to then that would probably mean less support for lower tier systems closer to the way things used to be but I doubt I’m going to be doing that.

I’ll just have to find ways in which to improve my workflow and efficiency since I was accustomed to a particular layout and structure before. I probably just need to get accustomed to this new layout and structure as well.

Thanks but you have to thank the Shader creators for their work on the Shader, as all I make are some presets for their Shader.

As for SNES Shader Presets that use NTSC effects, good things come to those who wait. If you’ve been following my development progress over the last couple of days, and weeks you’ll see that I’ve been working on and adding Composite and S-Video presets. I’m doing this for all systems. My advice is to try the newer presets that you see in my newest screenshots both here and in the Please Show Off What Crt Shaders Can Do thread.

Take a look at this very recent post in further response to your original question.

2 Likes

I have one of these in my possession right now.

These things refer to your display resolution not internal resolution.

You can try running FlyCast at 320 x 240 and see if the green stuff disappears.

If it does it could just be a limitation of trying to fit the type of mask you’re trying to use on a 1080p screen at a high internal resolution.

So in that case, you might just have to use the few presets that work, the black and white mask workarounds e.t.c. but that doesn’t explain why you’re getting the same issue on your 4K TV though.

This is a display setting to enable the maximum colour bit depth. Different displays might call them different things. It has nothing to do with your graphics card brand but could affect what your graphics card sees the display as being capable of and it will adjust itself to suit.

1 Like

What BSNES are you guys running? I see like 10 BSNES cores. Assuming a person has the hardware to run any of them, which are best?

1 Like

I’m using the normal bsnes core. The mercury variants are based on older versions of bsnes and are mainly for older hardware I think. So the recommended SNES core with the best accuracy is bsnes. If your PC isn’t strong enough you van try the latest snes9x core.

2 Likes

I think the 2014 cores are similar tot the mercury cores. You can try them out and see which one suits you best.

1 Like

:grimacing:

Thank you for the clarification!

Actually, my Flycast was set at 640x480 (default) when testing out the shaders. Was just wondering how your shaders worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

640 x 480 is high res in the context of Retro gaming. Lol

You know this doesn’t make much sense, right? Because if it did, then I wouldn’t have been able to get those screenshots to show you at 1080p non-scaled, non-stretched, centered on a 4K Screen. The screen doesn’t even matter for screenshots.

You know, I’ve seen instances where there were settings enabled that were causing havoc recently on an AMD RX 6700XT and even though they were changed, the effects still persisted. Even after a DDU clean install.

You know what was done to resolve them?

Turning off FreeSync, Turning Off HDR in Windows. (You didn’t tell me if HDR was on or off in Windows did you?) Enabling GPU Scale, Disabling GPU Scale.

Only then did the system start back working properly. The issue then was the 120Hz refresh rate mode had disappeared.

Although it might sound quirky, you can try that and see. Test with GPU Scale both on and off and make sure HDR is off in Windows and in RetroArch and FreeSync is off as well. You can also try enabling Integer Scale when you turn GPU Scale On.

1 Like

Didn’t know until just a few days ago that the PS1 ran at 240p :grin:

Did you just quote and disagree with yourself? :rofl:

I’m confused :see_no_evil:

Ok this is gonna take me a while to test as I only get time for gaming on the weekends. I will do my best to attempt these and let you know.

P. S. I don’t have HDR enabled.

1 Like

For those who can’t stand playing SNES games without an NTSC Shader (or one that uses GTU), I present to you…

CyberLab_SNES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

As you can clearly tell from the filename, it doesn’t require any additional video filters and it also doesn’t require BSNES Blur emulation to be turned on.

So without further ado…

Right click on the image, click Open in New Tab then press F11 for Fullscreen for 4K users. Zoom in until it looks right for 1440p or 1080p users.

Merry Christmas!!

6 Likes

I was aware of this, I though you could maybe try snes9x or another core. It would be interesting if the Blargg NTSC filter could be ported to slang by someone who has the experience. :slight_smile:

Yes, I took a look at these shaders, but personally I just prefer a more blurry image. Also I do have access to a 4K screen, but most of the time I can only use 1080p.

Ok. I though they also worked on the 256x224 resolution games, but apparently the blur only takes effect in hi-res games.

Sorry, I wasn’t really clear. The preset and the filter load just fine seperatly, but not when they are combined. The problem also occurs when the preset pack and the Mega Bezel are in V 1.5.0.

Yeah sorry, I only looked at the date and thought it was a bit “old” and saw that a few parameters changed. Of course I understand that it takes a lot of work to constantly review and update the shader pack whenever a new Mega Bezel version is released. I was just wondering if i could use the latest version, because in my case I haven’t encountered any bugs when using the latest Mega Bezel version.

1 Like

Have you seen my post immediately above your last post?

You can use the Snes9X Core with it’s built-in Blargg Filters as well as my Custom Filter presets.

Another thing you can do is try my newest Shader Preset Pack and SNES Composite Slot Mask IV OLED NTSC preset which I released just recently.

You didn’t really get back to me on these suggestions I made.

Have you tried saving a Core Override for the Blargg Filter Preset you would like to use? You might get different behaviour if you allow the Blargg filter to autoload as opposed to trying to load, reload and switch video filter presets mid session.

Seeing that the only folder that gives you this issue us the MBZ__0__Smooth_Advance folders, then I think you’ve found your solution/workaround right there. Just use any of the other folders that do work for you.

Do you think there’s any difference at all or any major difference between my newest presets in any of the other folders?

It’s not only about the work, it’s also about the cost vs benefit of doing the work and the relevance.

I went ahead and updated for version 1.6.3, however so far, I haven’t really seen anything that’s different quality wise in any of my presets, however there have been performance/compatibility regressions.

Updating for updating sake doesn’t make sense all the time. Yes bugs may be fixed and they have and features may be added, not always relevant to every particular use case or context though but sometimes a preset looks exactly the way I would like it to look and an update or change in the implementation of a certain function of the shader can cause it to look different.

I usually don’t want it to look different. If it should look different, I tend to want it to be because of a choice or change I made and am completely aware of and in control of.

Even HSM doesn’t always update the Mega Bezel Reflection Shader available through the Online Updater as soon as there’s a new release in his repo.

Of course you can, then you can see exactly what I’m talking about first hand. You might have to manually change some Shader Parameters in order to get things to look as intended, or maybe you’ll find the unintended differences in the shader presets to actually be more to your liking.

These are some of the differences I’ve found between 1.6.3 base presets and 1.6.4, I haven’t even begun to talk about 1.7.0. They’re sometimes documented but not all of them are all the time.

old
HSM_DEDITHER_MODE = 1

NEW
HSM_DEDITHER_MODE = "3.000000"

old
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = 0

NEW
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = 600

old
shadowMask = 3

NEW
shadowMask = 1
mask_bloom = 0.3

I’m not so sure about the blurry part because that might just give me a headache but you can also try my RGB Smooth, Computer Monitor Smooth or other presets with the word “Soft” in the filenames.

You can also try turning on DSR or VSR in your display driver settings and set your desktop to 4K and use my Le’Sarsh_4K_Optimized presets. Finally you can go into Shader Parameters and turn down the sharpness settings.

1 Like

CyberLab_NES_S-Video_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

CyberLab_NES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

4 Likes

Coming soon…

CyberLab_Turbo_Duo_S-Video_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

Right click on the image, click Open in New Tab then press F11 for Fullscreen for 4K users. Zoom in until it looks right for 1440p or 1080p users.

4 Likes

Hmmm…I wonder what’s next…

4 Likes

Motion blur?..

1 Like